“a noticeable step down from the peninsula...”

Four Seasons Hotel Chicago
Ranked #5 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Los Angeles, California
“a noticeable step down from the peninsula...”
Reviewed March 20, 2011

after three nights at the peninsula, i ended up staying another night because the weather was crappy, and i have traveled enough times between NYC and chicago to know that any little hiccup in the weather will affect all flights, especially the last one out. as a result, i decided to stay another night, but this time at the four seasons, as i was able to procure a better rate than the peninsula (the peninsula was cheaper with the third night free option, but another night would have resulted in the full rate).

i wish i could say that the four seasons is in the same category, but it isn't. the rooms are smaller (i had an upgraded room at the four seasons, but an entry-level room at the peninsula), though with much better views because of the height of the hotel.

i found the service at the peninsula to be exemplary in every way--the four seasons was not nearly as good. as i write this, it's been 30 minutes since waiting for two bottles of water from housekeeping after missing my turndown service (i had the "privacy please" sign outside the door). i would not be surprised if it took another 30 minutes to get the two complimentary bottles of water. good thing i didn't ask for ice, too.

the rooms are nice enough here, but after three nights at the peninsula, it was a letdown. the rooms here are smaller, and the bathroom is a little too compact. the toilet is right next to the shower/tub, whereas in the peninsula they are in two separate compartments with their own doors.

the design of the shower is not great. the water pressure was much better here than in the peninsula, with much better control over the temperature, but the two doors that kept the water in the shower and off the floor did not serve the purpose well, and you had the floor covered in water. not a big deal, normally, but again, the toilet is right next to the shower, so your feet are covered in cold water as you use the toilet.

also, the TV is much smaller, though most channels are in HD and much better quality than the peninsula, where the TV is larger, but many channels are not HD.

as another reviewer pointed out, the design of this hotel is such that it sways and creaks when you have a windy night (common in chicago). so as i write this review, the building is creaking, and it's hard to tune out. now, i understand the hotel discloses this on some card or correspondence, but i don't see it in the room, and the idea of earplugs, while nice, doesn't help me because i am afraid i would oversleep as a result of them.

the views here are spectacular, though, so that is a plus, and it is still a better hotel than most other places i stayed.

as far as five-star properties in chicago, though, the peninsula is still top in my book. the trump is great as far as facilities, but the whole building is non-smoking, so that's a minus for me. the four seasons and peninsula have smoking rooms, which is nice because sometimes all i wanna do is light up a cigar at the end of the day.

i know the four seasons takes their work seriously, so i do plan to address this with management.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank andergtr
FSChicago, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Chicago, responded to this review, March 22, 2011
Dear andergtr,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and I regret that your stay did not live up to your expectations. You are correct that we do value and take guest comments seriously so I would love the opportunity to speak with you further about your stay. Please feel free to contact me directly via phone at 312-649-2300 or send your contact information to me at denise.flanders@fourseasons.com and I will reach out to you. I look forward to hearing from you.

We certainly want to welcome you back in the future as I am confident our staff can exceed your expectations for a memorable stay.

Kind regards,

Denise Flanders, General Manager
Four Seasons Hotel Chicago
312-280-2300, denise.flanders@fourseasons.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (636)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Grand Cayman
Reviewed March 15, 2011

We had a great stay at the Four Seasons. I thought that our suite was very good value for money and was large enough for our family of four. The hotel placed a small edible treat in our room for the children each day and they were very impressed with this.

All the staff were very helpful, especially the concierge staff who had great restaurant recommendations.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
FSChicago, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Chicago, responded to this review, March 16, 2011
Dear Poppycat11,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience on Trip Advisor. I am pleased to hear you and your family enjoyed your stay and the special children’s amenities. We look forward to welcoming your family back in the near future!

Minnesota
Reviewed March 10, 2011

We stayed at the Four Seasons last week for my husband's work conference. I came along for rest and fun. The Four Seasons is absolutely beautiful and from the minute you exit your car you begin to feel you might be being mistaken for royalty or a movie star. The service is the best. I had spa employees mapquesting yoga studios for me when I casually asked if they knew the way. The waitress in the bar was dropping fresh snacks and more water the minute ours began to run low. Every employee was kind and considerate. The lobby and bar are lovely. The room is sparkling clean and crisp. The pool is quiet and tranquil. Fresh squeezed orange juice, newspapers and comfy towels await you. The location is perfect - shopping, dining and the lake right outside the door.
However . . . we stayed during a very windy week. The hotel creaks at night with the very strong wind. The hotel provides earplugs and a card explaining the noise, but it did awaken me at night. I think this is not a problem most nights. I found it a little scary and unsettling. That said, the hotel is one of a kind and if you want to experience being a queen for a day, this is the spot for you.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback of your recent stay at Four Seasons Hotel Chicago. We appreciate your wonderful comments about our Hotel and the service levels you experienced. We hope to welcome you back on your future stays in Chicago. I am delighted to read your kind remarks regarding our Spa staff as well as the staff in Seasons Bar, and will be sure to share this with them.
I certainly look forward to personally welcoming you back to Four Seasons Hotel Chicago in the very near future.

Flossmoor, Illinois
Reviewed March 10, 2011

Ok, my stay at the Four Seasons was awful, because my 3 year old came down with stomach flu. BUT the staff was SO nice and SO helpful. From housekeeping, who got a yucky job to do in our room, to the Room Service waitress who was so concerned, and remembered to ask how he was doing when we saw her again, to the Seasons host staff who told me to call them directly if he needed any food to settle his stomach (ginger ale, etc) and gave me a to-go box to hit the kids brunch area to get a little nibble to see if he would eat. When I finally left the trip early, leaving my husband and older son there, the bell staff and valet wouldn't let me lift a finger, knowing I had a sick kid to deal with.

The room (suite) was very nice, very large with 2 bathrooms which ended up being a godsend! The hotel is lovely, pool is great (no, the little one and I didn't go in, but we watched for a few minutes). It is very convenient to things on the Mag Mile.

We've stayed at the hotel several times, always been happy. We stayed at the Trump in November and loved that too - benefit there is a kitchen in the suite, but it is more expensive.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank andrewryanmommy
Thank you for taking time to post your experience from your recent stay with us. It is always difficult traveling with a sick child, so we are always more than happy to do what we can to alleviate the stress! I do hope you will join us again in the near future for a visit that the whole family can enjoy, including the pool! I look forward to personally welcoming you back soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 9, 2011

We stayed at the Four Seasons as part of my 50th birthday holiday. It wasn't our intention to stay there as I had thought I had booked the Sofitel but had managed to get the dates wrong on the booking (full marks to the Sofitel for refunding my pre-paid room though and organisation a short notice transfer to the Four Seasons). We could not have been happier with everything at the Four Seasons, we did upgrade to a suite but it was well worth it. It truly is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in and without bragging I have stayed in a lot of good hotels around the world. The room was wonderfully quiet and the bed so large and comfortable that both my wife and I had the best nights sleep we have had in any hotel. The staff are outstanding, particularly the front desk, the concierge and bell hop. The only slight niggles I have are that the cocktails were not great, or not as great as the rest of the hotel, but I guess most people can live with that! And that getting a taxi outside can be a slow process (top tip - walk down to east delaware, over Michigan Ave and you will pick up a taxi outside the hotel there much more quickly. Its a 2 minute walk). This is not a criticism of the hotel, just a function of its location.
I recommend this hotel strongly to anyone visiting Chicago. We loved Chicago and will be coming back in the summertime, and will definitely be staying at the Four Seasons again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear merton-101,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay celebrating your birthday. I am very pleased to read that circumstances worked out that we had the opportunity to host you while you were in Chicago for this special occasion. I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your time with us and that you would recommend your experience to other travelers. My colleagues and I appreciate your kind remarks regarding the quality of our service and hotel! We have recently launched a new cocktail menu that I do hope you try on your next stay and let us know your feedback. I look forward to an opportunity to personally welcome you back in the near future.

New York City, New York
Reviewed February 21, 2011

Four Seasons Chicago is a "total guest focus" place - amazing consistency of excellent and attentive and friendly service from the entire staff - not a single "dud" in the mix. They must be attracting and training with a lot of discipline, it's really a standout in service.

• Stayed February 2011
Dear Larchmont Traveler,

Thank you for the comments you shared on your experience with us. We are delighted to read your kind remarks regarding our staff and service. Four Seasons as a company invests greatly in their employees, and I know our staff will be pleased to read your feedback. I look forward to personally welcoming you back soon!

Wilmette, Illinois
Reviewed January 29, 2011

Just a spectacular hotel. Stayed over the Thanksgiving holiday. The location is a dream -- right above the 900 North Michigan shops. Across from some delicious restaurants (highly recommend Spiaggia). All around perfect experience.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
FSChicago, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Chicago, responded to this review, January 31, 2011
Dear kjamesonsr,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your stay with us at Four Seasons Chicago this past Thanksgiving. We are always pleased to know our guests enjoyed their stay and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!