“Good Job!”

Hostelling International Chicago
Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

What do you want from Hostel lodging? Safe, clean, friendly, convenient location? This place hits on them all.

Note: the free wi-fi works fine, but Apps done work until you open the browser and accept the agreement.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank BobFromIndy
Paul C, Manager at Hostelling International Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2016

There are newer reviews for Hostelling International Chicago

Reviewed July 22, 2013

didn't expect much due to the price I paid $30 per night. But I love the place. I felt safe, It was busy a lot of people coming in and out which I love because I got to meet people from different countries. Location perfect close to everything I was there two night didn't need to use public transport. coffee shop next door. free wifi. free lockers but you need to buy your own lock. The room was not a problem, bunk beds so if don't feel comfortable sleeping on top you might want to call ahead. Only prob when I arrived my bed wasn't clean so I have to wait a while but other than that no big issue. Next time I might want to pay a little extra and book their ensuite too many girls in one room.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank michelle M M

Reviewed July 18, 2013

I Was travelling around Asia having any kind of hostal experiences. And I was done with that, but I was blessed, booking 2 nights at these hostel. Front desk people are helpful, friendly, free food, awesome wifi, etc. after check in I went to my room, everything was neat, my bed was clean, toilette was clean also. Everything was awesome. Believe me if you wanna stay low budget option but good service. Next to anything in Chicago stay here

Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed July 8, 2013

This hostel is super...big with super clean room, toilet, lounge...everywhere is clean. Great location near bus stop, train, subway and shoping area. Besides, there are many colleges, parks, and fantastic buildings around here. I love it. 這間青年旅館有著不可思議的巨大空間,房間很大、浴廁很大、每層樓都有廚房與起居間、公用場所很多也很大....基本上頗有大飯店的架式,而且非常的乾淨,出入有感應卡,全天候供應免費咖啡,交通方便,本身應該也算芝加哥有名建築物之一,隔壁街就是state st 與密西根大道,好吃好逛的都在附近。我很喜歡這個旅館,也很喜歡芝加哥。

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank TianaHsu

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Stayed here this past June while in Chicago for the American Library Association conference. Didn't feel like paying $200+ per night to stay in the conference hotels and you can't beat the price and location of the hostel. The facility was very clean, the location was prime, and the price--even for a private room--was incredible. That's not to say there weren't SOME problems, though.

Despite the fact that I booked the room in JANUARY (almost 6 months in advance), there was an error in the booking system that meant that I had to check out of one room after the first night, then check in again the next day to stay in a different room the following 2 nights. This was mainly an issue because that meant that my friend and I had to remove all of our luggage and store it in the lockers provided, and we COULD NOT check in before 3 pm--and not even then, because they were still cleaning our rooms. We waited until 3:30 to go up to the new room and were passive-aggressively scolded by the maid who apparently hadn't vacuumed our room yet and was upset that we had started moving in.

The next issue came when checking out on the final day. I had misplaced or thrown away my receipt from the first night (because of the room mix-up, I had to complete my reservation in 2 separate transactions), and when I asked the lady at the desk for a copy, she was unable to print one because it was under "history." What?? That said, when I emailed the manager the next day to get the receipt, she replied promptly and apologized profusely for the inconvenience. I was also given a discount on the rooms because of the trouble.

Overall, a good stay and you can't beat the price for the location. Be aware though--once you get above about the 4th floor, the free wi-fi doesn't work. It keeps asking you for a password/promo code, even though it should just let you log in.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed July 5, 2013

One of the best experiences I've had, the workers, the volunteers(especially the volunteers), the other travelers all combined with a pleasant environment, great place for reading, coffee all day to make this such a memorable and wonderful/happy experience. I would recommend Hostelling International to anyone (and have to some), and expect is it probably the same in other cities.

Room Tip: no tip, there is private and dorm, both good
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed June 25, 2013

There are times when I go back to my hometown that I just want to stay right in the heart of the city. Drawback is that Chicago has gotten so amazingly cool that all the great hotels step right out of my budget during the best months - SUMMER! Well, look no further, Hostelling International Chicago offers a great place to stay for $34/night (at least this is what I paid for in June 2013). Since I was making friends/family stay downtown late, I decided to book a room (3 bunks/6 beds to a room). I must say, this was by far the nicest, cleanest, friendliest and most comfortable hostel I've EVER stayed in! Breakfast had LOTs of yummy options (more than just corn flakes, toast, coffee and tea which is typical). They even gave you towels! I will go back in a heartbeat, even on my own! What a fantastic place to stay!

Room Tip: They have lockers in the rooms as well, so if you are traveling solo or in smaller groups, your thin...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family