“clean, affordable, basic needs.”

BEST WESTERN Grant Park Hotel
Ranked #137 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Copenhagen, Denmark
“clean, affordable, basic needs.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2007

Stayed for 4 nights in this hotel, while exploring Chicago for the first time. Location was perfect, in walking distance to all major atractions and with plenty of restaurants nearby ( + one in hotel).
Our double/double room was clean, internetservice worked perfectly and staff was friendly and helpfull.
We where a little nervous after reading about waiting times on check in and out, but it worked fine for us. We did see however that some people had a long waiting time getting their room and there was some angry guests in the lobby.
The breakfast buffet is much to expensive ( 15$ ), choose coffee and a croissant if you aren´t that hungry or go to one of the many nearby restaurants for a much cheaper option.
All in all this hotel worked perfect for us and is suitable for
anyone who needs a clean, affordable place to stay in Chicago.

• Liked — rooms where clean, location perfect, affordable, internetservice
  • Disliked — hotel restaurant
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
5 Thank permatri

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
green bay
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2007

We went to chicago for a couple of days and stayed in this hotel.. For the money 145.00 a night it was not bad.. We were walking distants for the musumes. There is a free trolly that picks you up not to far from the hotel either.. We tried the taste of chicago that was ok, but alot of people.. over all the room was ok for the money. the bed was kind of hard, but I would stay there again in the furture..

• Liked — the loctions
  • Disliked — beds were hard
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank verhbar_7
St. Louis
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2007

I booked this hotel on short notice, and selected it only because of the rate. I wasn't expecting much, but figured it would at least be clean and serve its purpose. From the very beginning, I had trouble. There were two people working the check-in desk. I was fortunate enough to have the decent clerk. The other woman checking people in was rude to all customers and acted extremely put out that she had to help people. Once I got to my room, it appeared to be right on target with what I expected, a standard room with one queen bed. Just to be sure, I decided to check the bed for any stains or questionables. I was horrified when I lifted the sheet. The mattress pad was completely covered in pubic hairs. The bedspread also had questionable stains all over it. The housekeeping service was very apologetic and got new linens for the bed. (They were the few employees that seemed to care about how guests felt.)

The walls are paper thin. You can hear everything anyone in the hall or next room is saying. The doors to the rooms can only be shut by pulling very hard on them. So any time someone comes or goes from a room, you can hear the doors slamming which is just about constant in a hotel. The trash service to the alley below comes early on Sunday mornings. Expect to be awoken to several dumpsters being picked up and dropped for about 30 minutes.

Contacting the front desk is also difficult. I had to make several phone calls down until someone picked up. When I finally got through, the clerk was extremely rude and didn't want to answer a simple question about how to check out. She finally just hung up on me without answering my question as to whether or not I could just leave the keys in my room as I had prepaid.

As I mentioned, I was not expecting much with this hotel. You would expect though from a hotel chain, that they could at least provide clean beds and friendly service. I would strongly encourage anyone considering this hotel to look elsewhere.

• Liked — The Location
  • Disliked — The service/cleanliness
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank trcarey

Travelers are raving about these Chicago hotels

St. Louis, MO.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2007

We arrived in Chicago and took the Orange El train to Roosevelt. We walked only 2 blocks to our hotel. Our check-in went smooth and fairly quickly. We had prepaid through Expedia and had no problem checking in. We were on the 7th floor facing the North. It was close to the El trains. At times we did hear them, but they were not as bad as some viewers said. If we had been facing them directly then I could see where it might have been a problem. The rooms were of average size and Clean. The staff always greeted us as we were coming and going. The pool was not yet open but we were never at the hotel long enough to use it anyway. We picked this hotel because it was close to the Museums. We walked to the Museum campus and took The CTA buses and trains everywhere else. We had no problems with transportation and my son loved using our visitor passes whenever we went anywhere. Chicago is a huge city and we saw alot of it. This was my second trip to Chicago and I will definitly be back. And by the way, our Check-out went just as smoothly as our Check-in. Thanks to Chicago for a wonderful time.

• Liked — Friendly and Helpful Staff!
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank lindalouhue
Denver
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2007

I stayed at this hotel for a conference and paid $149/night. Not bad for downtown Chicago, but as they say, you get what you pay for.

It's conveniently located in the south loop area and is close to Grant Park, several of Chicago's fantastic museums, and the Roosevelt station.

My biggest complaint was noise. The hotel's walls are thin, and the windows are single paned. My room was on the west side of the building, and I could hear the "L" trains rushing by every ten minutes or so. Ask for a room that faces Michigan Ave.

The rooms are small and generally clean, with a few exceptions. The housekeeping staff left a rag in the bathroom, and the ice bucket was visibly dirty.

• Liked — Location. Free Internet
  • Disliked — Noisy
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank snutt
Roswell, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2007

Great location, but noisy inside and out since the train runs over the street one block away. The beds and linens need updating. If you want anything more than basic, try getting a special on a hotel downtown near Michigan Ave (magnificent mile). Sights like Millennium Park and the Art Institute are walkable from either location.

Note: This area is made for walking, taxis are everywhere, shuttles go to/from the airports, and the train is easy to use, so skip the car!

Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank takeahike2
NASHVILLE, TN
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2007

This is a small nine story hotel located directly across from Grant Park on Michigan Avenue. You will be 1/4 mile (5 minute walk) from the Roosevelt Subway Stop (Orange, Red, and Green Lines)... From there you can get to many different areas of the city. Train Ride to the Downtown Loop is only 10 minutes max.

Upon arrival our check-in was pretty standard... Usual check of our credit card and reservation. They actually asked for my AAA card.. (No one hardly does!) Anyways... Upon entering our room, the wife immediately complained of a urine smell coming from the bathroom. I was hoping maybe someone just didn't flush the toilet, but upon inspection, it appears that it was coming from the base of the toilet... We just threw a towel on the floor and shut the door... Fixed the problem without having to go through the trouble of asking for another room.

The room walls are thin as you can hear your neighbors shower, alarm, etc... You can also hear the occasional subway car and the traffic cop blowing his/her whistle...

No one was in the lobby at 4:50am when we went to check out which I thought was odd and no one would answer a phone... so we just left the keys in the drop with a note...

If you plan to spend 8 hours a day in your room (just enough to sleep and/or whatever), then this is a good cost-effective place to stay. $92/night. If you like hanging in your room, don't stay here.

Anyways... Check out the restaurant next to the hotel named Yolk... Good breakfast and kind of art/deco!

• Liked — Price
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple