“Worst Hotel I've Ever Stayed In”

Best Western Grant Park Hotel
Ranked #124 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed June 24, 2007

I booked this hotel on short notice, and selected it only because of the rate. I wasn't expecting much, but figured it would at least be clean and serve its purpose. From the very beginning, I had trouble. There were two people working the check-in desk. I was fortunate enough to have the decent clerk. The other woman checking people in was rude to all customers and acted extremely put out that she had to help people. Once I got to my room, it appeared to be right on target with what I expected, a standard room with one queen bed. Just to be sure, I decided to check the bed for any stains or questionables. I was horrified when I lifted the sheet. The mattress pad was completely covered in pubic hairs. The bedspread also had questionable stains all over it. The housekeeping service was very apologetic and got new linens for the bed. (They were the few employees that seemed to care about how guests felt.)

The walls are paper thin. You can hear everything anyone in the hall or next room is saying. The doors to the rooms can only be shut by pulling very hard on them. So any time someone comes or goes from a room, you can hear the doors slamming which is just about constant in a hotel. The trash service to the alley below comes early on Sunday mornings. Expect to be awoken to several dumpsters being picked up and dropped for about 30 minutes.

Contacting the front desk is also difficult. I had to make several phone calls down until someone picked up. When I finally got through, the clerk was extremely rude and didn't want to answer a simple question about how to check out. She finally just hung up on me without answering my question as to whether or not I could just leave the keys in my room as I had prepaid.

As I mentioned, I was not expecting much with this hotel. You would expect though from a hotel chain, that they could at least provide clean beds and friendly service. I would strongly encourage anyone considering this hotel to look elsewhere.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank trcarey
Write a ReviewReviews (1,310)

Reviewed June 10, 2007

We arrived in Chicago and took the Orange El train to Roosevelt. We walked only 2 blocks to our hotel. Our check-in went smooth and fairly quickly. We had prepaid through Expedia and had no problem checking in. We were on the 7th floor facing the North. It was close to the El trains. At times we did hear them, but they were not as bad as some viewers said. If we had been facing them directly then I could see where it might have been a problem. The rooms were of average size and Clean. The staff always greeted us as we were coming and going. The pool was not yet open but we were never at the hotel long enough to use it anyway. We picked this hotel because it was close to the Museums. We walked to the Museum campus and took The CTA buses and trains everywhere else. We had no problems with transportation and my son loved using our visitor passes whenever we went anywhere. Chicago is a huge city and we saw alot of it. This was my second trip to Chicago and I will definitly be back. And by the way, our Check-out went just as smoothly as our Check-in. Thanks to Chicago for a wonderful time.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank lindalouhue
Reviewed May 14, 2007

I stayed at this hotel for a conference and paid $149/night. Not bad for downtown Chicago, but as they say, you get what you pay for.

It's conveniently located in the south loop area and is close to Grant Park, several of Chicago's fantastic museums, and the Roosevelt station.

My biggest complaint was noise. The hotel's walls are thin, and the windows are single paned. My room was on the west side of the building, and I could hear the "L" trains rushing by every ten minutes or so. Ask for a room that faces Michigan Ave.

The rooms are small and generally clean, with a few exceptions. The housekeeping staff left a rag in the bathroom, and the ice bucket was visibly dirty.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank snutt
Reviewed April 24, 2007

Great location, but noisy inside and out since the train runs over the street one block away. The beds and linens need updating. If you want anything more than basic, try getting a special on a hotel downtown near Michigan Ave (magnificent mile). Sights like Millennium Park and the Art Institute are walkable from either location.

Note: This area is made for walking, taxis are everywhere, shuttles go to/from the airports, and the train is easy to use, so skip the car!

Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank takeahike2
Reviewed March 18, 2007

This is a small nine story hotel located directly across from Grant Park on Michigan Avenue. You will be 1/4 mile (5 minute walk) from the Roosevelt Subway Stop (Orange, Red, and Green Lines)... From there you can get to many different areas of the city. Train Ride to the Downtown Loop is only 10 minutes max.

Upon arrival our check-in was pretty standard... Usual check of our credit card and reservation. They actually asked for my AAA card.. (No one hardly does!) Anyways... Upon entering our room, the wife immediately complained of a urine smell coming from the bathroom. I was hoping maybe someone just didn't flush the toilet, but upon inspection, it appears that it was coming from the base of the toilet... We just threw a towel on the floor and shut the door... Fixed the problem without having to go through the trouble of asking for another room.

The room walls are thin as you can hear your neighbors shower, alarm, etc... You can also hear the occasional subway car and the traffic cop blowing his/her whistle...

No one was in the lobby at 4:50am when we went to check out which I thought was odd and no one would answer a phone... so we just left the keys in the drop with a note...

If you plan to spend 8 hours a day in your room (just enough to sleep and/or whatever), then this is a good cost-effective place to stay. $92/night. If you like hanging in your room, don't stay here.

Anyways... Check out the restaurant next to the hotel named Yolk... Good breakfast and kind of art/deco!

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TnNiteFox
Reviewed March 3, 2007

I have just returned from 4 day stay at the BW Grant Plaza. I was initially concerned after reading some not so positive reviews. But if you don't have high expectations, i.e you don't expect the Ritz Carlton, this is great a little hotel in the Windy City.
I stayed on the 7th floor and had pretty decent views of the city skyline and Lake Michigan. The rooms were clean and adequately decorated. I was there for a conference and appreciated that each room had an ironing board and iron. The heater some reviewers complained about, worked just fine in my room. In fact, I had a brand new heater/AC unit. Connecting to the complimentary Wi-Fi was a cinch.
Only disappointment was the lack of breakfast. The restaurant next door was rather expensive.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank tcllee
Reviewed February 24, 2007

Myself and 3 friends, went to Chicago for 3 days in June 2006, as part of our world trip. The hotel was easy to find since we printed up maps. Easy check in, spacious room for the 4 of us: 2 queen size beds. We wanted to save money so we all shared!
Breakfast was in the lobby, basic, croissants, muffins, bagels, tea, coffee, juice. all nice but nowhere to eat properly, we had to stand around in the lobby eating. We knew we weren't in a fancy hotel so it was fine.
We found all the sights were in walking distance, the museum, park, sears tower, wrigley stadium, the wharf, the main shopping areas! We had no problems, the pool was very cold but that was fine since it was very hot!

Only down point was that it's not near the night life, but if your not there for that it's good!

Stayed: February 2007