“Ya get what ya pay for”

Ranked #134 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Eagan MN
“Ya get what ya pay for”
Reviewed April 16, 2006

We visited Chicago March 25th 2006. We wanted a great location for a little money. I was pleasantly surpised at the BW Grant Park.
We too experienced a too-long wait at the front desk, but when it's your turn they do pay attention to you. We dealt with Octavio on a couple occasions and he was very helpful and nice.
The hotel is very clean and well maintained. The soaps and shampoos in our room were replaced each morning we were there. We were on the Lake side and I am glad. Great view of the park, the Shedd, the Field and Adler Planetarium, which are easy to walk to. You'll have to take the bus to Science & Industry but it's an express and it gets you the closest. As for anywhere else in the city the Roosevelt station is just a couple blocks away.
As another reviewer mentioned there are aggravations. The restaurant was under renovation, so they did offer free continental breakfast of donuts, pastry, bagels, watery OJ and coffee...and good luck finding a place to sit in the small lobby to eat it. We ended up going in shifts to carry enough upstairs to eat in our room; no trays were offered so be careful balancing that donut on top of your coffee cup while you push the elevator button :)
Also, when we checked in during the late afternoon on Saturday the hotel's valet lot was full. My husband headed around the corner to the public ramp. It was more expensive. But, they did let us walk up to the car to get the stuff we needed. But, they didn't open until 9am, so it pushed our itinerary back while we waited. We left the car there the whole time and used public transport exclusively; way easier than driving in Chi-town!
The location was GREAT and I'd definitely put up with the aggravations again. Next door is a tiny grocery called Clancy's (I think?) and they have the water, snacks, newspapers etc that we all need to get through the day. Also they have the visitor one day transit passes that cost $5 and are good for El and buses...super easy to use and easy to stop in to buy.

• Stayed March 2006
4 Thank lmnopEaganMN

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Birmingham, AL
Reviewed April 6, 2006

This is a good hotel.
Not great, not awful, but good.
It has a wonderful location. Two blocks from Roosevelt station which can take you anywhere the El goes. This is a few blocks from Hilton Chicago. This is where the big boys play and you are right there saving a bunch of cash.
There are problems, but none that would keep me from coming back.
The front desk is under-staffed and it takes longer than necessary but the people are friendly.
Note: best wireless reception they told at the front desk is from the sixth floor up.
I am on 7th and it works flawlessly. A little aggravating that you need to type in a username "bestwestern1" and a password "grantpark1" but no big thing. It's free and wireless and I get four bars out of four with infrequent two bars that don't last long.
You cannot park your car. They must park it for you and it costs $20 a day and your car is locked up so you can't go get something out of your car without them bringing it around and that is free but a tip is expected of course. The parking is an aggravation.
The "11 Diner" is less than a block away and it great. Also a nice sushi bar. A Jewel grocery store is two blocks away and is great for long stays. This is a real full scale grocery store like at home. That is rare and to be so close to your hotel is great.
The AC/Heater does it job well but as one reviewer said it comes on an off. I like a room ice cold at night and the fan on high to mask noise. You can't have the A/C on and fan on high and make continuous fan noise. It goes off and on and I can't deal with that. So I just put the fan on high with no A/C or Heat selected and it runs all night like a white noise machine and pulls in outside air which is plenty cold enough. For those who want the heat on at night, go see a psychiatrist - nobody should like a warm room at night.
The hotel room is only as good as the shower. Mine was great. Great pressure. It gets warm quick. The shower curtain doesn't rub up against you. The drain drained. You can't ask more from a shower.
My room 726 did not have a view of Lake Michigan - those rooms cost more. I suggest buying a postcard of the lake and save the money. 726 is a corner room so I had windows all over. It was a very bright room and clean. You have a view of Wabash and the Columbia College across the street.
I will walk to the the planetarium tomorrow.
Yesterday I walked around while my room was getting ready and I found myself in the Loop. Whiney people wouldn't want to walk that far but what a thrill it is to walk in a city like this.
Ice machines are not on every floor which is a bummer, but again no big deal. Ice is on every even floor. Coke machines are on every floor and snack machines are on even floors. It takes me two minutes to go up the stairs and get my ice bucket filled. (The machine on 8th is a good ice machine. You press the button and ice comes out quickly. Not like the machines that when you press the button the machine begins to start freezing the ice.)
The ice buckets don't have those plastic bags to cover the plastic container and they don't have lids for the ice bucket. That is plain stupid.
TV was good - not fuzzy. Lots of stations including HBO. Extra movies cost $10.
Bed could be better. Pillows are small. I asked for another pillow and it was delivered in 20 minutes - excellent.
Plenty of lights and they all worked. Lamp on desk had two extra plugs in its base. Very smart and and thoughtful.
This is not a great hotel, but come with modest expectations and you will enjoy your stay.
I am on business and by myself. I would not come here with my wife because she would like a nicer, more expensive place. I can afford hotels like that because I check into to hotels like the Best Western Grant Park. This is a good hotel for people that don't want to throw money away, who like to use mass transit to get around, who will be in Chicago for more than two days. It is an easy hotel to get to if you are driving. You don't get into all the craziness of the Loop.
One reviewer said they didn't replace the shampoo and soap. Maybe the management read his review because its replaced every day.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
3 Thank jimmetrock
UK
Reviewed March 25, 2006

The hotel is not as bad as reviews had made it out to be. I arrived and was greeted by a friendly woman on the front desk, and all staff were always very helpful and always smiling. The only problem I had with my room was with a light which broke, and the guy at the front desk said he'd have someone fix it. I had been in the room less than 2 minutes when an electrician showed up and fixed the light. That was good service.

The hotel is also really well located. It faces Grant Park and Lake Michigan, and its location on S. Michigan Avenue is wonderful - only a 10-minute stroll into the Loop, or, if you're lazy like me, one stop on the El from Roosevelt station, which is just 1 block away from the hotel. The free breakfast was also great, as was the coffee on tap.

However, there were some problems with the hotel. Firstly, the temperature control in the room was done by a big, clunky and old fan unit. Which means that every time the temperature drops below the thermostat level, the whole thing shudders into action and really noisily pumps air into the room. This was sufficient to wake me up several times per night. Secondly, the thermostat controls did not make sense. When I tried to use them, they came apart and I found that there was an unhealthy-looking little vial of mercury strapped to the inside with tape.

But the one thing which was not welcome was the fact that soaps/shampoos were not replaced. I was at the hotel for several nights and found that after the first night, hotel soaps and shampoos which I used were not replaced, meaning that every night I had to walk down to reception to get soap and things.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
3 Thank FKAPUK

Travelers are raving about these Chicago hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 19, 2006

The line to get anything done at the front desk took forever. When we checked in, when we tried to get a valet, when we needed new keys, and when we checked out took forever. Then while we are standing in line to check out some loser comes up and goes "I just want to check out" and cuts in front of us. Poor customer service.

• Stayed March 2006
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 10, 2006

One of the cheaper hotels near Downtown Chicago, so quite an attractive tourist option. If you're wanting to spend most of your time around the Magnificent Mile, you could probably find more convenient places, although it's almost next to the Museum Campus, the Symphony Hall and a few theatres, so it depends what your priorities are. It's also just round the corner from the Roosevelt CTA station, so it's quite easy to get around by public transport.

The hotel's a pretty typical chain-type. My room was good - very big with a desk, arm chair, bed-side table with clock radio, plenty lights, a coffee machine, a good tv and a good bathroom. The only problem with my room was the heating/air conditioning. It was quite cold without heating but it's a fan heater and quite a noisy one, so you couldn't keep it on at night.

Another downside was the breakfast. While it was good that some form of complimentary breakfast was provided, it was a bit haphazard! On my first day it was very nice - a decent selection of croissant, toast, egg muffins and pastries, with orange juice, tea/coffee and jam. However, on the other days I was there, at least one of those was generally unavailable. Croissants with no butter or jam, for instance. And Out of 5 days, orange juice was only there on 2. So don't go expecting a feast!

2 Thank Chris B
West Branch, Michigan
Reviewed February 16, 2006

After traveling four hours to an area we were unfamiliar with, we called the hotel for directions. They told us to get out of the area we were in but were unable to give us directions to do that...."just get out at a gas station and ask." was the response. Hello, two women and two children in an area where there are bars on every window. Sorry I'm familiar with what happens in Detroit if you get out. When we finally did manage to get to the hotel, we learned that valet parking was extra and that's all that was offered. The heat from the room blew us across the hall. What idiot in their right mind sleeps in a room that is 67 degrees unless it is summer time? Did I mention that the people in the next room tried to come through the adjoining door after we got settled into bed? Then there was the room, it was hardly bigger than a closet and there was no room to move around. And if there was a restaurant, it sure didn't open early enough for us to get any breakfast. Where are the luggage carriers? it sure would have helped with check out. NEVER again.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
5 Thank ladyrebecka
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed December 1, 2005

Arrvied and outside was a tour bus of Japnese visitors, on the front desk was only a Japanase girl who could hardly speak any english...(she didn't even know what a post office was).

The room was what we asked for and was clean and comfortable.

The only problem with the room was that they were doing some work with power tools which started early the next morning.

• Stayed September 2004