“Good rooms & location but pretty noisy.”

Best Western Grant Park Hotel
Ranked #129 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
London
“Good rooms & location but pretty noisy.”
Reviewed March 14, 2008

On balance this was a good hotel for the $88 + taxes I paid per night. Its only a short walk to the centre of Chicago and is close to the lake etc and the rooms were fine, definitely a cut above budget places I've stayed in for the same amount.

The one (pretty big) drawback is the noise. I had a room on the 8th floor of the north side of the hotel (i.e. not directly onto Michigan Avenue, but it was still horrendously noisy. The windows are single glazed and so you can clearly hear all of the traffic as well as the elevated train, which runs close by.

To further add to this noise, my room (824 I think) was also near the lifts and an ice-making machine (which must have been powered by a large tractor engine considering the noise).

On the second night I moved rooms down the corridor away from the lifts and bought some earplugs, and then slept fine.

I am a light sleeper and noise does wind me up when I’m trying to get to sleep so you can maybe ignore my opinion if you never have a problem (although previous reviewers have also commented on the noise).

I would use this hotel again but wouldn't forget to bring earplugs.

• Liked — Price/location
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New York
Reviewed March 10, 2008

I recently went to Chicago for a conference. The conference hotel was too expensive, so I was looking for a less expensive hotel that was near the conference site.

I searched several websites and found the Best Western Grant Park. It fit my requirements! At first, I was very worried about my selection. The picture of the BW building made it look old and run down. The pictures of the room looked better than those of the building but the decor seemed somewhat spartan! Several reviews from this site suggested that the hotel was basic but very clean and that the staff was very friendly. I put my faith in the trip advisor reviewers and they didn't let me down!

I was pleased with my selection. This hotel is not as sexy or enticing as some of the trendy boutique hotels, but it is well maintained! If you're looking for luxury- you should bypass this spot. But, if you want a nice and affordable place, this will definitely serve that purpose. The exterior is pretty basic. The room interior was fine- flowered comforters and curtains, beige wallpaper, teal carpet, a picture on the wall...it's fine!

The beds were nice and comfy. The wireless access was free (this was greatly appreciated)! I think the beds were doubles instead of queens but we quickly got over this. Also, the room wasn't as large as I thought it would be based on the website pictures- but it was not cramped (3 adults had a little room to move around). My only gripe with the hotel is that our wash cloths were taken but not replaced (hand and bath towels were replaced)- I found that odd and slightly frustrating but easily remedied!

There is a little restaurant and wine bar off of the lobby. I didn't have a chance to go there but it seemed as though they had some decent wines available!

The hotel is not too far from Millennium Park and one of the art museums. The hotel is in walking distance to the Loop and subway stops.

Enjoy your stay!

• Liked — affordability and proximity to conference site
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
Toronto
Reviewed February 10, 2008

My husband & I stayed here using our Air Miles for the booking.We were attending a taping of The Oprah Show & were well aware of the fact that we would have to take some sort of public transit(bus or taxi) to get around for all that we wanted to do.
We were on the 6th floor with a king bed.
The room was a typical hotel room.
The bed was comforatable but the pillows(3 of them) could have been king pillows & not the regular size ones that they were.
The bathroom was quite small but didn't create any problems.Lots of towels.
Yes we could on occasion hear the train but since we were in the "Windy City" at 1st we just thought that was what we were hearing. It didn't NOT disrupt our sleeping.
We ate in the restaurant downstairs for breakfast once & dinner once. It was good. We might have seeked out other places but the weather was so poor that decided to stay put.
Check in was no problem & anytime we were down there they were very helpful.
Kuddos to Alex (at the front desk) as when we were headed out to the taping of the show & my hubby had not brought gloves or a hat (In feburary) we asked if there might be gloves in a lost & found ,Alex was kind enough to lend us his umbrella to help keep us dry.

I read reviews before we went but always take them with a grain of salt.
I like to make my own decisions.

This hotel suited us just fine & other than not being in the centre of downtown I can't think of anything else that I might change.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Spot107
Terre Haute, Indiana
Reviewed January 1, 2008

After scoring tickets for my very first Chicago Bear game, I immediately started searching for a hotel. I read reviews on this hotel and moved on. This happened several times before I finally broke down and made the reservations.
After driving for 3 hours we saw Soldier Field. At 1am Chicago time we were taking pictures outside to capture the moment.
When we got into the car and started to our hotel we so excited. The hotel is only 2 1/2 blocks away. Check in was easy. We met other Bear fans, and a few Saints (boo) before we finally went to our room. When we peeked out the window... wow.. Soldier Field was right there. The hotel staff was very friendly.The rooms were very clean. Beds were comfortable. We had one thing go wrong and that's the shower head sprayed all over the bathroom, but we fixed it and let the front desk clerk know. There's a parking garage that is attached to to the Best Western that we chose because Valet was closed for the night. It was $20.00 to park but we didn't have to drive to the game we just left our car and walked. You can park in front of meters on the weekend and that's free. Even during games. But we chose to keep our car inside, off the streets. The next morning we went to the restaurant attached to the hotel totally expecting an outrageous pricing menu. Shocked were we when we found out 2 eggs, a bowl of fruit and toast was only $4.95. We were served within 5 minutes of ordering which helped since we were heading for the game. It was a win, win situation. I won by getting a great hotel at a great price, great location and the Bears won the most amazing game ever! Thanks for a great time Chicago! Can't wait to go back.

• Liked — The proximity to Soldier Field.
  • Disliked — Not one thing went wrong for me. I loved it.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank BearsnCubs
Lynnwood, Washington
Reviewed November 26, 2007

Came here for an Adobe trade show. Booked my room late, and so couldn't find anything even at the Courtyard/Hampton Inn level for less than $200-250. I got the Best Western Grant for 3 nites in late September during this big trade show for just $150.

The room was clean and I had a decent view of Lake Michigan. Gym was tiny but enough for me to get a decent workout and help me get to bed. Attached cafe was overpriced for what it served (I got casual breakfast stuff) but ok as I was on company per diem. Wi-fi was a little weak, but at least it was included.

For a biz guy, the location was great - a few blocks away was a nice district with trendy, non-touristy restaurants. Towards the water was Grant Park and all of the art institutions and a great place for a morning walk. I didn't do that, though I did rent a bike at one of the two nearby bike shops and ride through the park south to the University of Chicago.

I did take a nice stroll - about a mile - every morning to the show at McCormick Place, a huge hall which is plopped down south of downtown in a poor neighborhood. The Best Western may be one of the closest biz hotels nearby. Anyway, the walk is very safe during the day, and ok at night if you follow the right major roads (there are a ton of new upscale condos just a few blocks away).

Shopping and some of the family stuff on the piers is far away, that's true.

• Liked — price and location
  • Disliked — gym
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank techconfgoer
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed November 25, 2007

The Best Western Grant Park is located a twenty-minute walk north to the magnificent mile and a ten minute walk south to the Museum complex with the Red Line ‘EL’ a 5 minute walk west.
Staff are friendly and knowledgeable about the area and will always greet you with a smile. The hotel itself is tired and the decor dated but it’s very clean and well managed. Rooms are spacious with good facilities including Wifi.
All in all, if you don't care what the room looks like when you are asleep, and you have more sense than money, this is the hotel for you!

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The decor
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank HappyTraveller747
Lexington, MA
Reviewed October 11, 2007

This is one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in. From check-in (which was botched) through check-out, we had a terrible experience. 1) The sound of the El train is so loud it sounds like the next stop is in the room. 2) The bed was like a marshmallow. Our backs were in spasm each morning. 3) The exercise room is on a timer and doesn't let you in with your key-card until 7 am. I had a 7.30 meeting and needed to work out the kinks from the bed at 6;30. Couldn't get in the work-out room. 4) The first room I check into had no toilet paper. 5) The second room I checked into had a fan running in the bathroom that could not be turned off.

My client's TA booked us here...whatever you do, don't be fooled into staying here.

• Liked — Convenient location...except for the noise from the El
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank VinoDuo

Travelers are raving about these Chicago hotels