“Good Value - would stay here again”

Best Western Grant Park Hotel
Ranked #133 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed June 14, 2012

Went to Chicago for the Blues Festival and stayed here for 4 nights. It was a great location, close to many of the city attractions and within walking distance to the festival. Lots of restaurants close by. Our lake view room was basic but clean with nice linens, microwave and mini-fridge. It was cleaned daily and the maid must have noticed we were drinking the coffee each day and started leaving extra coffee and cups for us. A small but appreciated gesture. The front desk staff was helpful with directions, restaurant recommendations and calling taxi’s for us as required.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay. Considering the price and location we’d stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Best Western Grant Park Hotel

Reviewed June 11, 2012

I went on a business trip, unfortunately is during a citywide convention, instead of paying $500 per night at a 4 stars hotel, I decide to save some money stay here.

Sadly to share with you all, bad mistake

Even though I hardly spend much time in the hotel room, I would still like to have a nice and clean room

Upon my arrival, is approx 10am in the morning, I know most of the hotels check in time is 3pm or 4pm, but usually the front desk will tried to help and get the early arrival into their room because they been flying or driving for the last few hours

I went to the front desk, told them my name, the front desk agent checked and she replied, no room is available yet for me
I asked: When do you think you will have one soon?
She replied: 3PM

I'm thinking uh...that's the check in time, I did not say anything, I walked away and checked in my baggage's to the bellman room

I been up since 4am in the morning and took the early flight at 7am, so I'm very tired, I went out and had breakfast, walked around the park, now is almost 1:30pm, I went back to the front desk and checked, still nothing is available

Now please allow me to point something out to you all

I know the check out time is at 12pm at your hotel, so you are telling me they're no one check out between 12 and 1:30pm at the Lake View Room? Not 1?
Impossible, that's a lied

Okay, let say someone did checked, but you need someone to clean the room, 1 1/2 hour, is not enough time for your house keeping to clean 1 room?

Once again, I do understand hotel check in policy is at 3pm, however when you have guest arriving early and just waiting at the lobby, you need to do whatever to speed things up, that's customer service.

I waited till 3:15pm, finally my room is ready, which is passed my check in time by the way.

I got into my room, I open the drawer, guess what?
Dirty candy papers, went into the bathroom, no shampoo, no condition, I have to go back down stairs and get it.
I even give them credit thinking, maybe they're busy, and forgot about leaving the shampoo and condition in my bathroom, I stay there for 4 days, the house keeping never once leave me any shampoo or conditional, not acceptable

Location, when you google map and by looking the hotel address, might look and sound pretty good "1100 South Michigan Avenue" On Michigan Ave!!

Oh...wait the minute, please don't miss out the 'SOUTH'

Luckily I have a car service, or else, I have no idea how to get around, is nothing near by, I never see any taxi waited outside the hotel like most hotels located in the central of Chicago

Front desk, I give them 3 stars, one guy (I forgot his name) is nice, he remember my name, when I'm there, he always asked how are you doing today, but the bad thing is he refer me as my first name, which is okay I guess, but I usually staying at 4 and 5 stars hotels, and all of them always called me by my last name Mr. which is more respectful

Nothing around this hotel, next door to the hotel have a small restaurant, good for breakfast only, close very early, I think maybe 8pm

Overall, I'm giving it 2 stars, poor.
If you have a budget and still like to travel to Chicago, this maybe the place for you, but if is for me, I rather pay a little bit more staying more to the central location

My advise to the hotel, all staffs need to be re-train
Hotel in and outside, top to the bottom needed to be renovate badly

Room Tip: Check out Sheraton, Embassy Suite or Hyatt, google map hotels close to the central location, I won...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Great location, reasonable price, clean, no frills. Polite hotel staff. The bed was comfortable. The bathroom was functional but really outdated. If you are looking for a budget hotel with a great location this is a good bet.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank LoriTucAZ
Reviewed June 4, 2012

For being a hotel in the downtown Chicago area, and given the cost of the room, this hotel had extremely low quality. The only good thing I could say about this hotel was that it had newer linens and that it was downtown. I chose this hotel because I felt the Best Western brand was an indicator of quality. I likely won't make that mistake again.

The high speed internet worked for about 5 minutes at a time, would lose signal, and then would have to connect to a different access point. The TV remote came in a "sanitized for your protection bag", which seems nice, but when you removed it there was a layer of dirt between the buttons that appears to have been there for quite some time. Front desk couldn't make change for the vending machines at 8pm as they had "cashed out" for the night. It was nearly impossible to sit in the desk chair to get some work done at night because there wasn't enough room between the desk and the bed to move the chair out. The TV also had issues - several channels were mostly static.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Charles H
Alex P, General Manager at Best Western Grant Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2012

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future.

Reviewed June 1, 2012

This hotel is in a very good location with a great view over Grant Park (if you are lucky enough to get a room at the front) and the transport links nearby are great. The bed was very comfortable and the staff helpful. The downside was that the hotel allows smoking in the rooms and you can certainly smell it. The rooms are also in need of updating, especially the bathroom.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have a great view.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank susankt99
Reviewed May 28, 2012

The beds were awesome! I actually just ordered two of the pillows bc they were so comfortable. The bathrooms were outdated and need work, but just close the door if you don't want to look at it.
The location is good, but it was a little shady with some "questionable" people that were hanging out across the street. There were 5 girls dressed like prostitutes taking pictures, but what do I know?
I highly recommend the restaurant next to the Best Western-Mei Kitchen, because it had great food at an excellent price.

Room Tip: Get a room on a high floor because we stayed in room 502 which was to have a lake view, but we were...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank jgrandpa
Alex P, General Manager at Best Western Grant Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback, we apologize you were not able to have a comfortable stay and will use your feedback to ensure future guests do not have the same experience. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the near future.

Reviewed May 28, 2012

1. Arrived two hours early and asked for early check in. My mom had been sick (hospital the night before) and had to lay down. All other parties were accomodated except us. We were not able to check in until 3 despite my mother's medical condition.
2. When I registered the rate was much higher than my confirmation amount on the email I received from Best Western. After 15 minutes of back and forth, the manager finally "agreed" to give me the rate I had. I corrected him and said this is the rate Best Western confirmed and again showed him the email from Best Western
3. We returned to our hotel the second night at 8:30 pm to find our room had not been cleaned-- no towels, soap, etc. Trash filled in the can. The manager was not around. We spoke to the manager the next day. He told us he would look into it. He left us a voicemail later in the day. He said that we lied and told the maid we did not want our room clean.
4. We saw the maid and asked her to clean our room earlier in the day. It was partially cleaned. The counters and tabletop were dirty, the carpet was partially cleaned and the bathroom floor was not cleaned.
5. The room itself was in disrepair- broken towel bar, torn pillows, torn wallpaper.
6. I called customer service for Best Western and they could not contact the hotel and would not resolve the issues-- after I spend 45 minutes on the phone.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank camx
Alex P, General Manager at Best Western Grant Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at BEST WESTERN Grant Park, I am disappointed we failed to give you the fine accommodations and consideration we strive for with all our guests, the type of service in which we pride ourselves. Please know that your comments have been reviewed in detail and steps are being taken to ensure these types of issues are handled on a preventive basis. We appreciate your patronage and value your feedback and should you return to Chicago, please contact me directly and I can assure you we will do everything we can to make your stay a comfortable and positive experience.