“Nice place to stay”

Swissotel Chicago
Ranked #62 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 29, 2009

Overall the hotel was pretty good. We were on the 4th floor and it was very quiet and clean. The front desk staff was not mean, but not very informative either. When checking in the lady looked us up and then promptly left saying she would be right back. After 3-4 minutes with no information another lady came back with her and gave us our keys. Nothing to sign, no rate confirmation or directions to our room. We ran into the manager who walked us all the way to our room and was very nice however. We did have a few problems but they were all promptly resolved. The location was also very good although there are a few options closer to the action. We always look for location and cleanliness in a hotel and this one fit both very well. One thing to point out... the elevators get very busy at peak times. They only have 6 for the entire building and there were some times we waited 3-5 minutes for one to open up. Not a big deal but be prepared.

Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
SwissotelChi, Director Marketing Programs and Public Relations at Swissotel Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2009

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at Swissotel Chicago.

Reviewed July 27, 2009

After I booked this hotel, I was a little worried by some of the reviews on here, so I went in with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. While I agree that the Swissotel is not a super memorable hotel for a 4 star place, it is what it is...basically, a business hotel. Our rate was $209 for a recently renovated queen/queen room on a high floor. We had a wonderful view of the river and the Wrigley building. The room was very clean, the beds were comfortable, and the bathroom was huge (but I think this was because we were in a handicapped accessible room). It was very quiet, even though the hotel was full. The only place I could hear other people was in the bathroom, for some reason. The front desk was very nice about letting us check-in at 12 noon and then storing our bags with the bellman. The desk clerk told us that most days we would have been able to have a room at noon, but that the hotel had been sold out the night before and there were many people still checking out at noon. I had read about the expensive valet parking, so we pulled in, dropped off our bags, and then moved our car to a less expensive garage, saving us $22!

All in all, we had a good experience and, while it might not be my first choice, I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed July 27, 2009

I stayed here the week of July 9-14, 2009. Below is my response to the automated message sent by the hotel thanking me for patronage and asking for any feedback. The management response : "Thank you and your feedback is very helpful! I will be sure to pass along to our management team for review and corrective action. Thank you again and have a great week."
===========
Hello,

We did enjoy Chicago and may visit again. I was visiting on business so I am not sure I would stay at your hotel again. Your prices are prohibitive for a personal visit, and I was actually a little surprised at all the extra charges. My husband and I travel extensively and this was our first Swissotel. We were so disappointed to find every amenity was an extra charge. $11.00 for a bottle of water, a gym use charge, and the wireless was charged per laptop! That was truly a first for us. Many families now have multiple laptops and this will be one of my main warnings in my reviews.

We stay in Klimpton Hotels, Omni’s, Sofitel’s as well as Hilton’s and Marriott’s and I believe all of them offer complimentary wireless (though some require a free signup for their member services). Even if they don’t offer it in the room, the lobby has complimentary wireless. You can see this is critical for us, and I suspect, for many who travel on a regular basis.

The room was nice and large and I assume I was given a handicap room (though we do not have disabilities) because of the conference rate. A heads up by the front desk about this would have been nice, though I suspect this explains the reason the room was so spacious. The tub though did look a little hospital like with the bars and the drippy faucet staining the porcelain. We should have reported the drip, but we were kidding that we might get charged for it :)

Some of the concierge staff were abit chilly at times, but the housekeeping service staff were extremely friendly and cheerful. Too bad on several days, they were not able to service the room until late afternoon. Another surprise when we wanted to take at nap at 4:30pm and the room was still not cleaned. We did appreciate the promptness of any requests we made (e.g. wakeup calls, non-allergen pillows, shampoo) That said, we were again surprised that we had to request shampoo! On the second day we finally realized, nope, it wasn’t a mistake, they just don’t provide it.

However, as we didn’t bring any extra in our packing, we called and, as noted, it was promptly delivered.

I appreciate your follow-up email and hope this feedback is helpful.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business

Your feedback is very helpful as it allows us to continuously improve.

Reviewed July 26, 2009

Pros: very comfortable beds, nice rooms, excellent views
Cons: They nickel-and-dime you to death! Parking for hotel guests is $52! That's crazy. There is a $15 fee to use the pool, sauna or fitness center. An order of bacon for breakfast is $9. The mini bar is unheated and a small bottle of water costs $9. There is no mini fridge in the room and the little extras like shampoo bottles and hand soap are miniscule and there are few of them. The tv channels available are fewer than I get at home with basic cable. And there were only two people at the front desk checking in guests. One of them was ignoring guests while she typed on her computer, so there was effectively only one person checking guests in - and this was on a Saturday! He was not particularly gracious. Both of the them seemed slightly annoyed at having to do their job. This is supposed to be an upscale hotel but it is a poor value for the money and definitely not worth the price.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo

We value your feedback as it allows us to continuously improve.

Reviewed July 23, 2009

I stayed at the Swissotel Chicago over 4th of July weekend. What a great place to stay—especially if you are partaking in the city’s festivities. A very short walk brought me to Grant Park where they had fireworks on the 3rd. And afterwards, since the hotel is just slightly off the main drag of Michigan Ave, I was able to retreat quickly back to my room and enjoy the peace and quiet rather than all the noise from everyone walking around. And the view from my room—spectacular! I couldn’t have asked for a more idyllic picture of Chicago right outside my window. The room was quite spacious and very clean. The bed was so comfortable I felt like I was sleeping at home. The hotel was a bit busy during this weekend, but the staff did a great job of helping me with whatever I needed. I would definitely recommend Swissotel as the place to stay when visiting Chicago.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends

Reviewed July 23, 2009

Spent 5 days in July at the Swissotel and found the facilities excellent.
Our room had a view of Navy Pier and the lake and was comfortable and spacious.
The hotel was well situated for exploring and catching buses to various attractions.
My only criticism would be that perhaps due to the size of the building and it was busy that staff appeared a bit impersonal.
There are numerous excellent eating establishments nearby and its an esay walk to Navy Pier.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 21, 2009

This hotel was in a nice clean and quiet location for us. We were not right smack in the middle of the hustle and bustle which was o.k. for us. We had about a 20 minute walk to Navy Pier and Millenium Park. We had several meals at Fox Obel which is over the River and down about 2 blocks on your right. Their meals were fresh and delicious. The Hotel staff were professional, but the fornt desk was somewhat slow at check in. The Lobby bar does not serve food very late at night and we couldn't find any vending machines for soda or snacks, so stop at a nearby market before going in for the night. We did not even crack open the mini bar because the prices were outragous. We had a view of lake Michigan and the Chicago River. Our room was very comfortable, clean and quiet. We upgraded to a suite so the room was spacious. We did not hear much traffic from the street below. We booked this room through hotwire and got a good price. Park at one of the pay to park areas on the street or one of the public parking lots as the hotel parking is $ 52/day.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple