“Staycation”

GreenLeadersGold level
Chicago
“Staycation”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

I won a discounted stay on Twitter and am from Chicago. The hotel has a prime view of Chicago and is nestled by the riverfront and Millennium Park. Mariano's, a grocery store, is also close by. We parked in a parking garage because valet was 40 dollars more. Best things: Big cozy bed, modern decor, good sound barrier (there were kids next door), nice hotel lounge downstairs, friendly staff, easy checkout. Needs improvement: 15 bucks for WiFi, come on really? Crappy service for our phones.WiFi should be free!!!!

Overall though, great stay!

Review collected in partnership with Swissotel

Andreas B, Other at Swissotel Chicago, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Thanks for staying with us, Kathlyn! I'm so glad to hear you found your room so cozy and comfortable. As for our WiFi, please know that it's free when you sign up for our free rewards program, Swissôtel Circle. It's also free for any guest in our lobby. I hope you keep us in mind the next time you're planning a staycation!

(312) 268-8255

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (715)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Buffalo Grove
Reviewed January 3, 2014

The rooms were very clean, and the hotel was nice. It's a great location, but the front desk staff was not very helpful. My wife made the reservation, so when I tried to check in, they almost wouldn't let me! The charged me a $200 deposit so I could get in the room, citing "safety". They explained my wife may be cheating on me, and she would need to check in later to confirm its ok to let me in the room.

1 Thank Jane B
Hi Jane,

Thank you for taking the time to review us. I'm glad you found your room clean and comfortable and appreciated our central location. As far as our front desk service, unfortunately for legal reasons we can only allow guests to check in where the name matches the reservation exactly. We institute this policy with our guests' safety and personal belongings in mind. I hope you understand. I'd be happy to discuss this with you in more detail at the number below.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Visited the property on Christmas Day. Had an excellent time using the pool and gym. The bed was absolutely amazing and couldn't complain about the view.

Had issues with cleanliness of the hotel. The ice machine on the 40th floor was out of service so I had to travel to the 37th floor. Once I got back to the room and prepared a drink, I noticed there was black mold on all of the ice cubes. Definately a health violation that the ice machines weren't being properly cleaned. Had to go outside of the hotel to buy ice for our drinks.

The pool/ gym area was fantasic except for the men's locker room. The floor was covered in used towels and the sauna room had garbage littered around the wood floors. The showers had mold on the floor tile and walls. Doesn't seem like anyone was attending the locker rooms the day we stayed.

Overall, it was a nice visit but I'm not sure if I would stay again due to some of the issues I described above.

Anthony,

Thank you for letting me know about your experience. While I'm delighted to hear you found your bed so comfortable and appreciated the view from your room, I sincerely apologize for the ice machines. We listen to our guests, which is why we've already made plans to replace all our ice machines. We hope to complete this project by the end of the month. As for our gym, I'll be sure to address your feedback with the staff to make sure the common space is more properly maintained. If you have any other suggestions for us to improve, please feel free to contact me at the number below.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

Our experience staying at the Swissotel was great. The service was great and our rooms were lovely. We had a great stay. It is just a few block walk away from Millennium park and shopping as well as the Navy Pier (we had a great view from our hotel room).
But, if I was to visit again, I recommend staying closer to the Magnificent Mile. Lots more shops and restaurants in the North End. We spent most of our time taking the train away from the loop.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
I'm happy to hear you had a great stay! It's our goal to offer our guests exceptional service, so I'm glad that's what you experienced. As you mentioned, we're located right by the Chicago River and Millenium Park, two of Chicago's most famous attractions. I hope you keep us in mind the next time you're in town.

Union Bridge, Maryland
Reviewed January 1, 2014

The front desk was formal but friendly. We were checking in a 4 am do to a very late arrival do to weather. We got a very nice king room facing the lake. The room was good sized with a nice setting chair and a good sized desk for working on. Nice bathroom with separate tub and shower. The noon check out time worked well for us.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Andreas B, Other at Swissotel Chicago, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Hi Brian,

Thanks so much for recommending us on Yelp. I'm glad to know you enjoyed your stay and appreciated our central location. I hope you keep us in mind the next time you visit Chicago!

carol2442
Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

A++++ customer service. Clean room, good pillows, firm bedding, great view, excellent location!! Loved the separate shower and tub. They greet you from the time you "approach" front door. Food was delicious! Elevators are trendy and super fast. It was a great experience, Loved it!!! Great job Swissotel!! I'll be back!

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank carol2442
Thank you so much, Carol! I'm thrilled to hear you experienced A++++ customer service from the moment you arrived. I'll be sure to pass along your kind message to the staff. Looking forward to your next stay with us!

Best wishes,
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed December 31, 2013

id read great reviews on this place prior to booking, and it was also the choice of my guest. so i was pretty excited to check the place it out. its def a unique shaped builiding. checking in was a breeze. i booked my reservation thru bookit.com almost 6 weeks in advance with the special request of a certain view (since i had the panoramic view room) id asked the rep if id gotten that prior to going to my room and she'd said yes. i never went to my room after checking in, i pretty much just stopped in to check in. i didnt return until almost two in the morning to realize id gotten the complete oppisite view i requested lol. at that point i just felt it was too late to complain. so i didnt really bother. the other issue i had was my washroom blinds were wide open and when i decided to shower i also noticed my blinds were broken so i couldnt close em. the place was nice. the people were friendly and of course location is golden. but i probably wouldnt return.

Review collected in partnership with Swissotel

Considering you were so excited to stay with us, I'm disheartened to hear you just had an average experience. I sincerely apologize you didn't get the view you wanted, especially since you requested it so far in advance. I'll be sure to investigate the issue to find out why your request slipped through the cracks. If you'd like to discuss your concerns directly with me, please call me at the number below.