“Never Had a Problem Here???”
Review of Swissotel Chicago

Swissotel Chicago
Ranked #60 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
Cleveland, Ohio
“Never Had a Problem Here???”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

I don't understand the bad reviews??? I've been staying at this hotel for years while attending an annual conference in Chicago and have never had a bad experience. I didn't find it noisy (although, I did grow up in NYC) and if you join the Swiss Club (at no charge) you get free WiFi and use of the health club. My room was clean and the bed was comfy. I did notice this time that they removed the mini-bars from the room but did leave the refridgerators (which I prefer to have for my own purchased beverages) and now offer a small convenience store in the lobby which was not "over the top" expensive. I did upgrade to a corner suite for $60/night and had an amazing view of both the city and the lake (Navy Pier). The staff is always pleasant (as I'm sure you'd have to be with the many pushy European guests) and the only complaint I had was my hair dryer wasn't very hot but they brought me another one. This hotel is in walking distance to Millennium Park, Michigan Avenue, Navy Pier and many restaurants (as long as the weather cooperates!). The Palm Restaurant on the premises is fabulous...and the health club is pretty decent for a hotel.

Just not sure why so many negative reviews on Trip Advisor???

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Andreas B, Other at Swissotel Chicago, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Alexama,

Thank you so much for supporting us on TripAdvisor. I sincerely appreciate you choosing to stay with us whenever you're in town. I'll be sure to let the staff know you appreciate their friendly and attentive service. Looking forward to your next stay with us!

(312) 268-8255

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (681)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Waldron
Reviewed October 24, 2013

This was a very nice hotel. We felt a little out of place, it seemed more for the business person than for the average family. Great location. Staff was very friendly. Room service was a little too pricey.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Swissotel

Thank you for your review, John. We want all our guests to feel comfortable and relaxed, whether they're here for a business trip or a family vacation. I hope you keep us in mind the next time you visit Chicago!

Chandler, Arizona
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Wow. What a joke. I felt like there was an employee lurking around every corner trying to reach in your pocket. The only time I used the phone in the room was to call the hotel itself. I was charged $1.50 to call the front desk each time. At $293.00 a night, this is ridiculous. They don't give you free in room wifi. The free stuff is only in the lobby. $15 per day for in room wifi. $24 per day if you want high speed. It's $15 per day to use the pool. I thought hotel pools were included in stays? What a joke. My wife made an appointment at the spa, for an over inflated price but the spa called back and had to reschedule for an hour later because the person who was going to be doing the service was running late. An hour later, she goes up to the spa and no one is even there. After waiting 15 minutes. She left. They did refund the gift certificate but ultimately, my wife wanted to be pampered on vacation. They didn't try to go out of there way to make things right either. Just blamed it on the people who work at the spa. $8.00 for a bottle of water in room. I'm surprised they didn't charge me for the K Cups in the room. Their 24/Seven convenience shop is convenient if you don't mind paying $5.00 for a bottle of water that costs less than two normally.

I will never stay at a Swissotel again. I couldn't believe what I was being charged for every step of the way. At almost $300 a night, this is ridiculous. The view wasn't worth the price. What a joke.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank w_joshua
Andreas B, Other at Swissotel Chicago, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Joshua,

I'm deeply troubled by your review. The last thing I want is for our guests to feel like we're nickeling and diming them. We price certain amenities separately in order to keep our base rates competitive. That way, guests only pay for services they actually use.

I also apologize for your wife's spa appointment. I agree that it's unprofessional to run that late. Do you mind letting me know when you stayed with us? I want to discuss your experience with Wincy City Spa to find out what went wrong. I'd also like to personally make things right with you.

Hope to hear back from you soon,
Cambridge
Reviewed October 23, 2013

The sound insulation in my room was poor and I could hear the elevator as well as my neighbors. Make sure you don't get a room next to the elevator shaft. Also, I could hear every noise from the neighboring room, even when they were running the AC.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Swissotel

Felix,

I'm so sorry you didn't enjoy a comfortable and restful stay with us. Do you mind letting me know which room you stayed in? I want to personally investigate how noisy it is in that room. And please note that we always try to relocate guests who are uncomfortable, pending that we have rooms available.

Hope to hear back from you soon,
Ottawa
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We stayed four nights at the hotel. A few things really annoyed me. The cost of WiFi is a minimum of $14.95 per day. When asked if we wanted to upgrade to a bigger room and have the WiFi fee waived, we agreed. For about $50.00 extra per night we ended up with a room with really no view - we looked right into an office building and a condo block. If you stood at the edge of a window, you could see the river and, on the other side, the lake. It was necessary to close all the drapes to have privacy at night.

I discovered a black dirty travel sock at the back of the closet. I just left it there and hope that someone cleans the room and removes it. There was dirt on the carpet - a piece of black fluff - that was there the first day and still there when we left. I guess the vacuum didn't work. There was mould in the bathroom. It looked like water damage from the room above so the ceiling was starting to grow mould. The glass topped end tables were not cleaned with a spray as I had put a greasy hand on the table, left my finger prints, and they were still there two days later. We had trouble getting the coffee maker to work - it was really simple once you understood that the blinking blue light meant you had to press the button - right away. Maybe some more instructions. The clock radio was the same issue - we could not figure a way to set the clock to the right time. I guess a previous guest had had the same issue. We had to ask on the first day and the second day for someone to set the clock properly. Although the first lobby service person took a note of our room, he must have tossed the paper as soon as we left the building. To figure out the time we had to deduct 1 hour and 12 minutes from what was on display. ARG!!!

On the positive side - most of the staff were very friendly (beside the guy at the Bell Service desk), (the young woman with long straight brown hair is the one to find at the lobby desk - she was terrific) the location was great for getting around and the WiFi worked all the time. I would not upgrade without seeing the room first. You might end up in the back corner and look into offices and condos. The bed, for me was wonderful and for my husband too soft. I was happy to note that you could really change the temperature in the room. At night we like it very cool and we got the room to below 70 with no problem.

Room Tip: Don't upgrade without seeing the room first.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Genevieve,

I'm sorry to hear you were disappointed with your stay. Had we known you wanted a view of the river or lake, we would've done our best to upgrade you to a room with a better view. I'm also alarmed to hear that you saw mold in your bathroom. We clean every room very thoroughly. Do you mind calling me to let me know which room you stayed in? I want to address your experience directly with the housekeeping staff.

Iowa Falls, Iowa, United States
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Gorgeous hotel. The room and view of Navy Pier was excellent. Bed was absolutely a dream to sleep on. The bar in the lobby was very nice, service was a little slow, but a great atmosphere! Would love to stay there again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks Lindsey! I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed such a restful night's sleep. Hope you get a chance to stay with us again soon!

All the best,
burbank
Reviewed October 22, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

This was our 1st time in Chicago and even though it felt like a business hotel, we enjoyed our stay! The hotel was clean, staff friendly, food was good & the gym/pool area was an added bonus! We will definitely stay here again!

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Debbie,

I'm happy to hear your first time visiting Chicago was a great experience! I'll be sure to let the staff know you appreciated their friendly service. Hope you get a chance to stay with us again soon!

Take care,