“Not One of My Favourites”
Review of Swissotel Chicago

Swissotel Chicago
Ranked #62 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We stayed four nights at the hotel. A few things really annoyed me. The cost of WiFi is a minimum of $14.95 per day. When asked if we wanted to upgrade to a bigger room and have the WiFi fee waived, we agreed. For about $50.00 extra per night we ended up with a room with really no view - we looked right into an office building and a condo block. If you stood at the edge of a window, you could see the river and, on the other side, the lake. It was necessary to close all the drapes to have privacy at night.

I discovered a black dirty travel sock at the back of the closet. I just left it there and hope that someone cleans the room and removes it. There was dirt on the carpet - a piece of black fluff - that was there the first day and still there when we left. I guess the vacuum didn't work. There was mould in the bathroom. It looked like water damage from the room above so the ceiling was starting to grow mould. The glass topped end tables were not cleaned with a spray as I had put a greasy hand on the table, left my finger prints, and they were still there two days later. We had trouble getting the coffee maker to work - it was really simple once you understood that the blinking blue light meant you had to press the button - right away. Maybe some more instructions. The clock radio was the same issue - we could not figure a way to set the clock to the right time. I guess a previous guest had had the same issue. We had to ask on the first day and the second day for someone to set the clock properly. Although the first lobby service person took a note of our room, he must have tossed the paper as soon as we left the building. To figure out the time we had to deduct 1 hour and 12 minutes from what was on display. ARG!!!

On the positive side - most of the staff were very friendly (beside the guy at the Bell Service desk), (the young woman with long straight brown hair is the one to find at the lobby desk - she was terrific) the location was great for getting around and the WiFi worked all the time. I would not upgrade without seeing the room first. You might end up in the back corner and look into offices and condos. The bed, for me was wonderful and for my husband too soft. I was happy to note that you could really change the temperature in the room. At night we like it very cool and we got the room to below 70 with no problem.

Room Tip: Don't upgrade without seeing the room first.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Andreas B, Other at Swissotel Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Genevieve,

I'm sorry to hear you were disappointed with your stay. Had we known you wanted a view of the river or lake, we would've done our best to upgrade you to a room with a better view. I'm also alarmed to hear that you saw mold in your bathroom. We clean every room very thoroughly. Do you mind calling me to let me know which room you stayed in? I want to address your experience directly with the housekeeping staff.

(312) 268-8255

Write a ReviewReviews (4,525)

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Gorgeous hotel. The room and view of Navy Pier was excellent. Bed was absolutely a dream to sleep on. The bar in the lobby was very nice, service was a little slow, but a great atmosphere! Would love to stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thanks Lindsey! I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed such a restful night's sleep. Hope you get a chance to stay with us again soon!

All the best,

Reviewed October 22, 2013

This was our 1st time in Chicago and even though it felt like a business hotel, we enjoyed our stay! The hotel was clean, staff friendly, food was good & the gym/pool area was an added bonus! We will definitely stay here again!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi Debbie,

I'm happy to hear your first time visiting Chicago was a great experience! I'll be sure to let the staff know you appreciated their friendly service. Hope you get a chance to stay with us again soon!

Take care,

Reviewed October 22, 2013

We stayed at the Swissotel Chicago at the end of a trip across the US having got a good deal as a 'Secret Hotel' . The room was very comfortable and the location of the hotel is hard to beat with great views. We didn't get a chance to use the pool or gym which was a shame. In common with other more expensive hotels they do make ridiculous charges for water or wifi, I'm not sure if I would book again if it wasn't through an offer.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for recommending us on TripAdvisor. I'm glad to hear you thought your room was comfortable and had a great view of the city. For the future, please know that we offer complimentary WiFi in our lobby. I hope you keep us in mind the next time you visit Chicago and tweet or Facebook us for a social media discount!

Reviewed October 21, 2013

This hotel was very nice and we had a good stay but there wasn't anything spectacular about it. My favorite part of the stay were the beds, very comfortable and cozy. The place is busy with a lot of energy, and the location was good. The hotel itself had a bit of wear and tear.
We were happy with the stay but got a decent deal on Hotwire and we would have not been pleased to pay the regular price for what we got. Parking was very expensive but we found a lot nearby to park in that was half the price.

Room Tip: If you can get a room with a view try and get one as high up as you can. The views of the lake are...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Andreas B, Other at Swissotel Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

While I'm glad you enjoyed your stay, I'm disheartened to hear that nothing about it stood out to you. From our comfortable beds to our attentive service, we strive to offer our guests a special experience. If you have any suggestions for us to improve, please don't hesitate to call me at the number below.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

Just returned from this beautiful hotel within walking distance from most everything. Very nice staff, very clean, very nice but...... If you need room service for anything they will forget about you. We called several times for different things, After one hour we had to call again. This happened every time we called. Then when they did come this one time they had the wrong room. They were delivering towels to us that we did not request. This was very frustrating. We did complain at check out time. They were very apologetic and offered us free breakfast but we had to get to the airport. I think we will try another hotel next time we visit Chicago.

Room Tip: Ask for a river or lake view.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Andreas B, Other at Swissotel Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

While I'm glad you found our hotel beautiful and thought our staff was very friendly, I'm alarmed to hear that you thought our room service was inattentive. The last thing I want is for our guests to feel forgotten. Do you mind calling me to let me know the room you stayed in? I want to make sure our room service is more timely going forward.

Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for my birthday. I booked through Hotwire so I wasn't sure where I was staying until after it was booked. I was pleased when I found out where is was. It is in an excellent location. It was within walking distances of most attractions, if not it was just a short can ride away. I have stayed in the city several times and this is my favorite place to date. I will return on my next adventure to the city.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Andreas B, Other at Swissotel Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Happy Birthday! Thanks so much for celebrating the occasion with us. I'm honored to know we're your favorite hotel in Chicago. Hope you get a chance to stay with us again soon!

All the best,