“Wonderful Stay will definately be back!”
Review of Swissotel Chicago

Swissotel Chicago
Ranked #63 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I purchased our stay at the Swissotel on a deal site as a mystery hotel. I was nervous about it up until we pulled up to the beautiful tower that faces the Chicago River just steps away from Michigan Avenue. The moment we arrived we were treated like we were the most important guests there. This isn't always the case when you purchase your rooms on deal sites some hotels treat you differently. Swissotel was a beauty inside and out. We were able to check in at one in the afternoon which was great! Our luggage was taken straight from our car to our room. We were able to upgrade to a corner King (again something that a lot of hotels won't offer if you purchased the room via third party) and the views were spectacular! It was our first trip to Chicago and Swissotel went out of our way to make us feel welcome and comfortable. The room service while pricey was amazing and prompt. The bed was like sleeping on a cloud. The concierge Angela was so helpful and friendly. The only complaint we had was the disappointing meal we had at one of the hotel restaurants. Steer clear of the Palm restaurant and you should be fine! This hotel was true luxury and we will most definitely be back!

Room Tip: Corner Kings offer most of the amenities that most suites would. The higher the floor the better the...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (4,617)

Reviewed October 10, 2013

Yes, this is a very nice hotel I guess, but I have to qualify my review by saying that I stay in a lot of hotels and after a while you begin to realize that behind all the glitz and glamor of these "fancy" hotels there are some basics that MUST be right no matter what to be a great hotel.

This place is right in Chicago more or less so you are paying premium rates based on location alone. The staff and services are right up there which is as expected. No complaints there. Parking is $65/night and there are local self park lots at just under $50/24hrs that are very close so if you find them in the maze of Upper and Lower Wacker Drive and your GPS not working underground, then parking is on par with other hotels.

The on site restaurants are very pricey. Breakfast will set you back about $40.00 for the buffet and be careful, the hot buffet, (egg, bacon etc) is not part of the "cereal" bar so if you did what a couple of us did and had cereal and then eggs, thinking it was all "Buffet", you'll find you pay for TWO buffet breakfasts and bump up the bill to over $50.00, eat slowly and maximize it!

Lunch for two which was basically salads and a couple of glasses of wine, $100 plus tip. Food was good but not anything exceptional.

The rooms are large which is really one good reason to stay here. Many hotels have very small rooms in the Downtown area. The higher levels have very good views of the City, River and Lake and large windows. Really nice and perhaps worth the cost if this is a one off trip for you. Chicago is a pretty city and views are worth considering if you want to upgrade to corner suites. Plenty of place for a couple and a nice work space too. Also nice was the included fridge in the room.

Bathroom had both a shower and separate bath and no complaints about anything here.

Now I get to my one issue and it really gets back to my opening. What are you really looking for in a hotel when you stay in a lot of them. Well location is one, but bed and shower are the other two high priority items. The issue was the bed.

It was super soft, sagging badly on the most used side and on my first night I had a back ache that almost had me request another room at midnight. Moved to the "offside" of the bed and it was better but still not really good. For an upmarket hotel this is just "Hotel Six" sleep quality, even with 400 thread count sheets, a bad mattress remains bad.

So if you need a firm bed, be prepared to sleep on the floor. What's up with that? How about installing Sleep Number beds?

Room Tip: Higher rooms have better views, try for over 30 floors. See my pictures from 33rd floor room
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Andreas B, Other at Swissotel Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Thank you for letting me know about your experience. While I'm glad your overall stay with us was enjoyable, I'm sorry to hear you found your bed uncomfortable. We want all our guests to have a peaceful and restful night's sleep, so I want to look into the matter right away - especially considering we have received such high remarks on the comfort of our beds. So much so, we opened at Swissotel at Home store where guest can purchase the bedding they loved!

What room did you stay in? When you get a chance, please call me at the number below.

Best,

Reviewed October 10, 2013

From the energy efficiency of the elevators( Very cool). To the WONDERFUL views, to the excellent customer service, this hotel is a real Chicago Gem!!
Very comfortable! The drinks at the lobby bar are also unique and well served.

Review collected in partnership with Swissotel

Thank you! I'm thrilled to hear you think we're a Chicago gem. We pride ourselves on our mixologists at the bar who have won global competitions for their cocktail creations. Thank you so much for visiting and we are looking forward to your next stay with us!

All the best,

Reviewed October 10, 2013

Praise for the concierge staff at Swiss hotel. When arriving in the room I noticed the door of the cupboard of the minibar had lost a screw and thus the hinge was loose. I reported this to the female concierge on duty at the time (25 Sept morning), and this was repaired immediately.
The same concierge also arranged the airport shuttle for me for Sept 28, and it was quite a surprise when it turned out she spoke Dutch ! So I could arrange it all in my own language :)

I must say it's a bit of a shame the WIFI in the hotel is not free...as in a lot of the hotels these days.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Swissotel

Thank you Morgan! I'll be sure to let our concierge staff know you appreciate their quick and helpful service - in your own language, at that! For the future, please know that we offer complimentary WiFi in our lobby, no password required.

All the best,

Reviewed October 10, 2013

Suite was very spacious Bed was very comfortable. Climate control was very poor. decor is run down and shabby looks very dated. furniture is scratched. Waited for hot water over three minutes. water pressure was really lousy.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Swissotel

While I'm glad you thought your room was spacious, I'm sorry to hear your overall experience was disappointing. Do you mind letting me know what room you stayed in? We outfit all our rooms with modern furniture, so I'm alarmed to hear it was scratched. I also want to make sure your room has proper water pressure for future guests. When you get a chance, please call me at the number below.

Thanks,

Reviewed October 9, 2013

Stayed here for a 3 day trip. Location perfect and upscale hotel. Extremely close to Mag Mile, Navy Pier and Millenium Park. I would stay here again without hesitation as it is close to major attractions and a beautiful hotel. The only con is the cost of parking...a whopping $50/day (although I hear this is common in Chicago).

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Andreas B, Other at Swissotel Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2013

Thank you for recommending us on TripAdvisor. Knowing that you would stay here again without hesitation is the best compliment. As you mentioned, parking is generally expensive downtown due to various local regulations and taxes. If you prefer alternative travel options, we'd be happy to help you route your trips.

Looking forward to your next trip to Chicago!

Best,

Reviewed October 9, 2013

Perfect location - close to so many places in downtown Chicago. Comfortable rooms. Incredible staff. Kudos to Laura Mitchell, reservations agent - professional, courteous, and friendly.

I highly recommend staying at Swissotel in Chicago.