New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Swissotel Chicago
Ranked #65 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
Houston
“Excellent Service and Location...!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

I was totally impressed with everything at the hotel during my business visit. I am planning to go back with the family for vacation and stay at the Swissotel Chicago. Every city attraction, landmark is within walking distance.

Alp A, Other at Swissotel Chicago, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you, Renzo! I look forward to welcoming you and your family back again soon.

Best wishes,
Marc Wawrin, Director of Operations, Swissôtel Chicago

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (635)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

Simply amazing! The view was to die for and the staff was great! Clean rooms and bathroom. Overall a great experience. They gave us free drink cards to use at the Palm Restaurant as well as champagne and strawberries in our room. This hotel is great.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Alp A, Other at Swissotel Chicago, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Happy Birthday! I'm happy to know you had a wonderful stay. It was our pleasure offering you complimentary drinks at the Palm for your birthday.

Looking forward to your next stay with us!

Best wishes,
Chicago
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

There were many problems staying here. While the room was lovely, we had quite a bit of trouble booking. Many people didn't know the procedures for booking with a credit card and paying with cash. We called 6 times because no one was sure of the procedures. Jackie, staff, was the only person who could provide us with correct information. She was nothing short of wonderful. Everyone else seemed like it was their first day working there. This was on Thursday 6/27 and at the end of the day, we went over all the details with Jackie with a fine-toothed comb...We would check in with hotel room price plus $100 in cash, nothing would be charged to my card, and at the end I would receive the $100 back in cash.
After the hotel stay, which was riddled with long elevator lines and packed elevators (and does the bathroom not have a vent?), I was charged the hotel incidentals fee on my booking credit card, even though I had paid cash for this $100 fee upon checking in and successfully received cash back upon check out. On Saturday 6/30, I spoke with at least 5 people on the phone because shifts kept changing. Some people said the resolution to the incorrectly charged fee was to call my bank and tell them to remove it. While I knew that was incorrect, I attempted anyway. The bank did in fact tell me that was the incorrect procedure and Swissotel had to call and cancel their hold. I was also told multiple times that it was "only a hold"....I don't care what it's called. If my money is not available, it's a problem. Especiallly when it was an unauthorized charge. Chase bank credited me $100 in lieu of Swissotel's mistake that would drop Monday 7/1. Some staff at Swissotel would tell me that the hold was already removed (it was not) and some said that it would be removed Monday. One person sent an email follow up to me clarifying that Chase put $100 in my account until the hold was removed, which was NOT what I told her, and I responded with the correct information that it would drop Monday. Finally on Monday,I spent an hour on the phone between the Swissotel accounting department and Chase bank in a 3 way call to correect this. The issue luckily was resolved by Tuesday morning, thankfullly as I would have incurred an overdraft fee if it was not resolved.
While Jackie was helpful and incredibly appalled at this happening, the other staff was absolutely clueless. How can someone in good conscience tell me that the hold was removed and "not to worry" if it was not removed? It's a good thing I didn't just take their word for it otherwise I would be looking at a negative account for something that was supposed to be taken care of to begin with and not charged to me.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

1 Thank Jill B
Jill,

I'm truly sorry for all the confusion and miscommunication regarding your bill. I completely understand how frustrating it is to speak with that many people, only to receive conflicting information. I am appalled by what happened as well, and will speak with the staff directly about the matter to find out what went wrong. Hopefully, we will discover what went wrong and train our staff to be more clear and consistent going forward. I invite you to discuss your concerns directly with me. Call me at 312-268-8100. I'd like to make things right.

Best,
Houston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

I received decent pricing relative to the surrounding hotels of a similiar quality through priceline. That said, I was particularly surprised when we were upgraded upon arrival! The staff was very friendly and helpful. We were in Chicago for a quick weekend getaway so location was very important as we wanted a place that would allow us to find hassle free entertainment and the Swissotel's location definitely made that easy! We found that we were able to walk to just about everywhere we wanted to go (Navy pier, blues bars, rooftop bars, etc.)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Alp A, Other at Swissotel Chicago, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you for staying with us last week. I'll be sure to let the staff know you appreciated their friendly and helpful service. I hope you keep us in mind the next time you visit Chicago so we can make your next stay just as fantastic!

All the best,
Columbus
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

First, the hotel is located in right on the river and close to the lake...beautiful area. Rooms were very nice, I had a corner room with a great view of the city. Food was good, staff was very courteous and very attentive.

Julio,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review! I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the location and the view— we think it's special, too. I look forward to passing your compliments along to the staff. Next time you're in Chicago, I hope to welcome you back!

Take care,
Marion, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

I've stayed here several times over the years because I love the location. Every room has had at least a sliver of a view and usually more than that. I love that they have a coffee maker and empty fridge in the room. My only complaint is that because I had to leave in a major rush and forgot all of my electronics, I had to pay to use the internet ($7 for 15 minutes) to communicate with anyone. I am really thinking of dumping luxury hotels for cheaper ones because of this. I almost bought a phone just to check emails.

Alp A, Other at Swissotel Chicago, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
I sincerely appreciate you choosing to stay with us whenever you visit Chicago. For the future, please know that we have a computer available in our business center in case you need to check emails or print something quickly. We also have complimentary Internet (no password required) in our lobby at all times. We understand how important being connected is to the modern traveler, and we try to accommodate our guests as best as possible.

Best,
Miami
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

I was completely blown away by the high level of professionalism. Very friendly, knowledgeable, welcoming staff. Great conference facilities. Perfect location. Close to the river, the lake, the Navy pier, and the Mile.

Alp A, Other at Swissotel Chicago, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you, Carlos! I'll be sure to pass along your kind message to our staff. We pride ourselves on our professionalism and our commitment to excellent customer service. I hope you keep us in mind the next time you visit Chicago, we would love to have you back!

All the best,