“Great hotel, but misleading!”
Review of Swissotel Chicago

Swissotel Chicago
Ranked #64 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Four years ago we spent the night on New Years Eve. We had front row seats to the most spectacular fireworks directly outside our window, at the stroke of midnight. We came back this year to celebrate News Years Eve again. We booked with their reservation agent. We booked for a "fireworks view" room. We paid more for that room. A new apartment building had gone up, and at midnight, no fireworks! Needless to say, no refund either.

Room Tip: Don't ask for a room with a specific view, you will not get it, but you will pay for it
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Alp A, Front Office Manager at Swissotel Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

Dear Ree12_12,

Thank you very much for kindly sharing your experience and I surely understand your concern regarding the view. We have a triangular building allowing upgraded corner rooms to see panoramic views as well as additional space.

However as a standard practice we are unable to confirm firework views from our rooms due to the nature of the activity. Fireworks may be moved to different locations and similarly this year due to security measures it was moved further south avoiding visibility from your room. I do hope for yor understanding due this matter not being under our control.

There are newer reviews for Swissotel Chicago

Reviewed January 8, 2013

My wife had to be there on business so we all went with her, we got an upgrade to a suite which was very nice. The location is good, close to most interesting spots in Chicago. We even walked to the Field Museum, although a bit long it was through a park right on the lakefront which was nice. Garage is very European, spaces are not as wide as most North American garages, watch it if you're parking a large SUV. Front desk/pod staff was very friendly and gave good suggestions as to neighborhood restaurants.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Alp A, Front Office Manager at Swissotel Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

Dear JoeCool18,

Thank you very much for your nice compliments and such a pleasure for us to learn you have enjoyed our fine services. Looking forward to welcome you again...

Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

Everything in the pictures is true! Beautifull hotel! Near michigan av. Great attention of the personel! No free wifi acces pool sauna bussiness center, expensive parking, bathtube big rooms . I definetly recomend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 29, 2012

My husband and I stayed with our granddaughters in November 2012 and had a fabulous suite -- on one of the corners of the 3-sided hotel. It was colossal! The kids room had stufferd animals; animal printed sheets --- even a kid-type soap dish in the bathroom. They loved it! And we thought the accomodations were outstanding.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor for the best views of Lake Michigan, the Navy Pier or downtown.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank NevGranny
Reviewed December 27, 2012

We stayed at this hotel in November while attending the Illinois School Board Conference. Unfortunately it was held during the same time the holiday parade in downtown Chicago was. It was overcrowded. The room was pretty good and our view was great. We did however, get locked out of our room when the keypad died on our door. It took security and the manager over 30 minutes to help us into our room. Breakfast was okay. We waited for the valet to get our car for over an hour. If I stay here again, I will not be staying at the same time of the year. I did see the lighted parade from our room and that was very nice.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear VickiVitaleMorse,

Thank you very much for sharing your comments and I am happy to understand you have enjoyed the comfort and location of your room. However please accept my apologies for the technical issues and service delays you have experienced. We are continuously working on improvement for door locks and we are getting immediate action regarding parking organization. Please let me know whenever I can assist further.

Reviewed December 26, 2012

This is a great hotel! VERY child friendly which we really appreciated. The kids got a book and crayons at check in, and by the time we left several of the staff knew us. We got a free upgrade to a Lakeside view, and it was beautiful! Great view of Navy Peir and Lake Michigan, the kids really loved being up on the 38th floor! They serve starbucks coffee at the bar, which was a plus for us. We didn't use the pool, but would have loved to have had the chance. Just a tip on parking, you can park a couple of blocks away for half the price of what the hotel charges! And, the staff were more than happy to keep our luggage at the hotel after we had checked out free of charge until we were ready to go back to our car.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Another try at another hotel in Chicago this past week.

I tried this one...I was interested in the title and from the website. I got an okay rate, so I booked.

The room view was awesome. The room itself was okay. Bed and linens were a scratchy and pillows were so fluffy I had a difficult time falling asleep. I ended up putting towel underneath the pillows for stability.

I was here three nights. I used their workout facility, which was okay. Nothing super spectacular at all, but was okay.

Noticed the pool and hot tub, but did not use.

Room service menu was ridiculously overpriced and that was not used.

The in house restaruant and bar, again, overpriced. On average the restaraunt was about $20-30 a dish. Not in my budget.

Had issues with the heating and cooling system. Put the room at 65 for the three nights and barely moved. Made mention to the staff about it and nothing was ever done. Kind of a disappointment.

If you are alone, as I was on this trip, it was okay. I won't bring my family there when we visit Chicago again.

Room Tip: Ask to get a view of the City.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Dear ABuikema.

Thank you very much for sharing the detailsof your experience at our hotel and I am happy to understand that you have enjoyed many of our facilities and services.

I regret to learn that we were not able to resolve the inconvenience with air conditioning to your satisfaction during the stay. We are getting immediate action to correct any issues and to avoid similar situation in the future.

Thank you also for highlighting the menu prices and I would like to kindly ensure you that this is indeed the best value and price offer. We will stil consider your kind opinion during our future revisions.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if I can assist further.