“Nice hotel with some room for improvement”
Review of Swissotel Chicago

Swissotel Chicago
Ranked #59 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
Hoboken, NJ
“Nice hotel with some room for improvement”
Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for 4 days while attending a conference. First the good - The lobby is very nice with the lobby bar area directly to the right when you walk in. I arrived around 11:30 am and they were able to give me a room, which was appreciated. The maid was wonderful and greeted me by my first name during my stay. The bad - The awful water pressure in the shower. The hair dryer also didn't blow hot air so that was frustrating. The other negative for me was the wake up call system. I called for a wake up call around 11;30 pm and could not get anyone on the phone for 35 minutes. When I finally got through and talked to the operator, she talked back to me and said they were very busy and lots of people were in the hotel calling. Her tone was rude

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Alp A, Front Office Manager at Swissotel Chicago, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear jenia1019,

Thank you very much kindly commenting about your stay at Swissotel Chicago. I am happy to learn that in general you have enjoyed your stay. My apologies for the technical shortfalls and for the delay answering your call. I also understand your concern with the shortfall of courtesy during your conversation. We are investigating the situation to avoid similar errors in the future. Please let me know if I can assist further.

Kind Regards,

Alp Akyuz
Front Office Manager
alp.akyuz@swissotel.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (698)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Irvine, California
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for the Chicago Marathon weekend. It was a good location in relation to the start/finish of the race. We had a little blip when we first got there but the staff were quick to help us out. While the hotel is supposed to be a non smoking hotel someone definitely smoked in the room that we checked into. It smelled really bad and since I can't stand smoking it was very important that we get a new room. Since it was a busy night they did move us to another room and then we had to move again the following day because we wanted a king bed. They were very helpful with the matter and did feel bad. The hotel itself was ok. Nothing earth shattering in my opinion.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
West Valley City, Utah
Reviewed October 23, 2012 via mobile

Went to Chicago for a sports weekend. After trying for a few minutes to find the underground parking, we ended up doing valet which was fine. Once we got checked in, I headed up to my room on the 40th floor. The view was SPECTACULAR over looking the lake, Navy Pier and river. The view is worth the extra charge if youre into that stuff like i am. We headed out for some pizza and a boat tour (which I would definitely recommend) and then went back and looked for a place to watch the game. The concierge was very helpful in letting us know a spot that was only a couple blocks away. Once we got back, and I was ready to go to sleep, I laid down and my head hit the most comfortable pillow I have ever laid on. I didn't request a special type of pillow so I don't know what it was, but if I did, I would buy one. We only stayed one night before moving on, but it was a great place to get our trip started.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Carmichael, California
Reviewed October 22, 2012

From the moment we drove up to the hotel and left our car with the valet until we picked up the car when we left, we felt pampered by the hotel staff. The room had an outstanding view of the lake, river, and city and was beautifuylly furnished; we did not want to leave the room. The staff was attentive and made us feel special. We especially enjoyed talking with the waiter at breakfast who also made sure that we were well taken care of. We certainly will choose this hotel again when we return to Chicago.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
South Bend, IN
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I've stayed at the Swissotel twice in the past three months, and both stays were pleasant. It's a bustling big city hotel, but the staff manages to take the edge off and make you feel at home. The lobby is rather stark and impersonal but the warm welcome beginning in the driveway makes up for what the decor lacks. The rooms are large and so are the bathrooms. Linens and towels are high quality, toiletries are first class, the TV is HD, the bathrobe is fine for snuggling into, and your view is likely to be breathtaking. (If your view from the bedroom isn't spectacular, try the huge bathroom window.) The bar in the lobby becomes a breakfast spot in the morning which is convenient since it's a bit of a hike from the hotel to the nearest corner Starbucks. Frankly, I prefer to be more centrally located in the Loop when I visit Chicago because I use the red and blue lines to get around, but the Swissotel has a lot to offer if public transportation doesn't figure into your plans. It's a very classy establishment.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors have stunning views.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed October 22, 2012

From the moment I dropped my car off out front to the moment I picked it back up, I had a fantastic stay at this hotel. I was checked in almost 3 hours early with no trouble or fuss by Bernard - who was extremely friendly and courteous. He made some suggestions of attractions and places to eat nearby. I already had my weekend pretty booked but it was of him to suggest things. The room I stayed in was on the 12th floor and had a great view. It wasn't anything overly special but it was bright and very, very clean. The bathroom was spacious and again CLEAN! I found the bed to be very comfortable and the floor I was on was quiet. Shopping was a short walk as are various transportation options. I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dear Amanda_Blue2,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay in our hotel. Your comments are really helpful for the entire Swissôtel team and encourage us to improve our services.

It was a pleasure to learn that you have enjoyed our services and facilities. Your kind comments concerning the comfort of your room are very much appreciated. We will surely take the liberty to pass your nice compliments to related team members.

Kind regards,

Alp Akyuz
Front Office Manager
alp.akyuz@swissotel.com
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Great location on the river and near the lake. Attentive staff. Cozy beds. Fabulous breakfast buffet with a continental vibe (but it costs extra). Highly recommended for a vacation or work-related trip.

Room Tip: Most of the west facing rooms have a great view of the river and the east facing look out on Navy Pi...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business