“extremely pleasant stay”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Columbia, IL
“extremely pleasant stay”
Reviewed August 26, 2007

Spent the weekend at the Blake and will be going back. We got to Chicago in the morning and since our room was available, we got to check in several hours before the normal time. Our room was on the first floor facing the front (Dearborn). There was some noise from the street but not enough to bother us. In fact, it was nice to look out the window and see the activity on the street. Everything in the room worked perfectly and the room was clean. The personnel were very helpful and courteous. We did not eat at the Custom House because it is fairly expensive, but you are not far from other restaurants and don't miss Orange around the corner for breakfast or lunch. Since this is a small hotel, it also felt safe and secure and I enjoyed staying somewhere besides the Magnificent Mile, yet being close to everything. I will certainly be back to the Hotel Blake.

• Stayed August 2007
1 Thank Mops1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
  • Turkish first
Alhambra, CA
Reviewed August 20, 2007

I spent two nights at the Blake. All of the employees were nice and the room was great. (I was on the 11th floor...facing the Dearborn St.) I also liked the location. I had a friend staying at the Hilton on Michigan Avenue and it was only a five-minute walk.

It was also easy to walk to the Loop, with lots of cool places to eat.

This was the best price I found for the weekend I was in Chicago (Sat/Sun nights). The TV in the room didn't work. When I called the front desk they said the engineering dept. had gone home for the night and cheerfully deducted some money from my nightly rate for that night. I was quite impressed. The TV was fixed the next day.

I think that some of the negative reviews are because the hotel's website make it sound like all of the rooms have very high ceilings and other amenities. I think it's only the suites that have them. Sloppy wording on the hotel's part.

The only issues were that the room would small a bit musty when I walked it, but the smell would go away. I think it was from the humidity in the bathroom since there doesn't seem to be a fan to dissipate the steam. Also, it would be nice if they had more then one computer in the business center, even thought the people using it were more than happy to give it up if they saw that others were waiting for it.

For the right price this is a great place to stay. It's also across from the main Chicago library, close to subways and Michigan Avenue.

• Liked — price, location, rooms
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
1 Thank musuco
Indianapolis, IN
Reviewed August 14, 2007

Stayed there after a wedding reception. Excellent service and amenities. Highly recommended. The mattresses are wonderful.

• Liked — ipod docking stations and mattresses
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ProfessionalTravel7
bolwig green ky
Reviewed August 12, 2007

Location was great for me, as my son lives around the corner! Nice little neighborhood area, lots of pubs, restaurants, theatre district nearby. I was a bit concerned after reading some of the reviews, and our initial reception wasn't very friendly, as we waited for over 30 minutes for valet parking. Couldn't seem to get anyone's attention to leave the car. But adter that, it was a very nice experience and I will stay there again. Concierges were super, room was lovely and well-appointed. Only complaint about room was the feather pillows- I don't like them, asked for firmer pillow, but the maid brought more puffly pillows. Bring your own if you like a firmer one! But the bed was very firm, super comfortable. Cool-lloking lobby, friendly staff, good value for the price. I'll stay again for sure.

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — feather pillows
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank blondboca
LA
Reviewed July 31, 2007

Hotel Blake is my favorite hotel! Best stay I ever had! Great service! I will definitely check out Custom House Restaurant (inside the Blake) when I come back to Chicago. I heard they won several awards and are one of the top restaurants in the city.
Enjoy!

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — I liked everything
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank ChandlerStyles
Beavercreek, Ohio
Reviewed July 21, 2007

We checked in to the Hotel Blake this afternoon and so far I have been thrilled with the experience. It has been absolutely wonderful. Our King room is large with three huge windows allowing lots of light to float into the room. The bathroom is expansive with granite countertops and double sinks. The room is very chic with crown molding, high ceilings, and cool decor. There is a business center available 24/7 as is the clean, expansive fitness center. The hotel is situated near everything. I'm so happy that I chose Hotel Blake.

Stayed July 2007
1 Thank afecher
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed July 21, 2007

This is a great boutique hotel in the Chicago theater district. We stayed there for a week in July 2007. It's six blocks west of South Michigan Avenue and perpendicular to the Art Institute and Millenium Park. The Blue Line from O'Hare dumps at the LaSalle Street station, just a block from the Blake. The Red Line, which runs up and down State parallel to Michigan Avenue and will take you to Cubs and Sox games, is a block away at Harrison Street station. You also can catch buses to the museums and anywhere else along State Street. The hotel is in an old building that has been recently renovated. The standard rooms (we had a double queen) are of regular size and nicely appointed. We have stayed at the InterContinental Chicago before, and these rooms had a similiar feel. The air and heat is good. The bathrooms are sizeable, new, clean, and well finished out. There was a safe in our room, but no fridge. The hotel has a small fitness center with big windows overlooking the street. The hotel has no pool. Free USA Todays are available at the front desk. The housekeeping service is consistently good. The front desk staff is friendly, efficient, and knowledgeable on local restaurants and how to get around on the CTA trains and buses. We got this hotel for somewhere around $140 on hotels.com, but the rack rate is higher than that. It's a great value for the money. We visit Chicago for fun once a year, and have always stayed on North Michigan, where the rates easily can run $250-$300. We opted for the Loop this time to try something different, see if we could get our price down, and be closer to the Museum Complex for our six-year-old daughter. It's a great hotel if you're in Chicago for business in the financial district or the courthouses, a convention in the Loop, or a family outing concentrated on the South Michigan Avenue attractions and museums. You'll also get a completely different feel for the city by staying in the Loop. If you intend to spend all your time on North Michigan, it might still be worth it for the hotel savings, but you'll have to endure a bit of a schlep on the CTA, on foot, or in cabs. Some nits: 1) we noticed there's a lot more street noise in the Loop than on North Michigan (sirens, trade vehicles loading and unloading); 2) the hotel has free in-room Internet, but if you need to use the business center, it only has one PC, which is usually busy in the mornings; and 3) the restaurant offerings are noticeably fewer in the Loop area compared to North Michigan. The hotel has a good restaurant called the Custom House, and other noteworthy nearby restaurants are Orange and Edwardo's pizzeria. Compared to North Michigan, there are ample nearby opportunities to grab quick, cheap breakfast, lunch and dinner at places like Panera's bread, Potbelly's, Subway, Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, etc. You can put together a quick picnic with a baguette from Panera's and cold cuts, etc. from the White Hen grocery that's a block from the hotel. The White Hen also sells beer and wine.

Stayed July 2007