“Don't Stay Here”

GreenLeadersBronze level
New York
“Don't Stay Here”
Reviewed August 3, 2006

My stay started off pleasantly enough, but at 6:30am on Saturday morning I was awoken by loud construction that did not abate. The staff at the hotel was not only unapologetic but they refused to do anything to alleviate the situation -- this includes moving me to another room, offering me a discounted rate, etc. What proceeded was a run-around by the management that dampened my stay.

While I was excited by the fact that the hotel was new and a small boutique establishment rather than a chain, I quickly realized the lack competence and integrity. There are plenty of better places to stay in Chicago where you can be assured that the management will safeguard your need for a good night's sleep.

• Liked — Design of the room
  • Disliked — Was not able to sleep with all of the noise
  • Tips/Secrets — Come for a drink but don't stay here
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank TravelBlogger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Turkish first
San Francisco
Reviewed July 23, 2006

I stayed at the Blake from July 15-19 and was a little wary due to the reviews on this website. Most of the negative reviews are based on the fact that the hotel has been undergoing renovations over the past year. Well, the renovations were complete in the lobby and on my floor, and the hotel is beautiful! My room (616--a standard king) was very spacious (over 400 s.f.) and had a great view of the Chicago public library. Note: I highly recommend getting an even-numbered room, since the odd-numbered rooms face a rather unattractive white wall. The bed was large and comfortable, the flat-screen TV was great, and the spacious bathroom was finished in stylish marble and had a large vanity with two sinks--perfect for myself and my partner. My favorite part of the room was the new carpet--great style and great texture (I usually don't notice carpet, but this was wonderful)! The lobby was rather small and unremarkable, but attractive. I agree with others who have posted about the Orange restaurant around the corner--great for breakfast! And young Patrick the doorman was very helpful. The location is only one block south of the loop and within easy walking distance (5-10 minutes) to anything in the downtown area. I would stay here again! (I had to move to the Hotel Burnham--#1 in Chicago according to Tripadvisor--in the middle of the week due to a Priceline reservation, but I thought the rooms at the Blake were much nicer). I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed July 2006
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank cc49
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed July 11, 2006

Wonderful stay at the Blake. The hotel staff. from the front desk to the housekeeping staff, went above and beyond to meet our every need. The accomodations are beautiful, and the bed is one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in. Special recognition should go to Patrick, for directing us to some of the best nightlife available in Chicago. Will definately stay here again.

• Stayed July 2006
2 Thank PK02
Middletown, Delaware
Reviewed June 26, 2006

We recently spent 3 nights at the Hotel Blake and were VERY pleased with our stay. The room was above average and very clean with a lovely bath and king sized bed. The location couldn't have been better. You had the choice of walking to many areas or taking the subway (which was a block and half away) or bus (across the street). We recommend buying a CTA visitors card for as many days as you plan to stay. We didn't eat in the hotel but for breakfast the Orange Juice Co. around the corner was excellent. Meals are large (we shared our breakfasts). Tourists visiting there on Saturdays should try the free "EL" tour that leaves from the Visitor's Center at the Cultural Center. The Chicago Trolley/Double Decker tour was excellent as well as the the river/lake boat tours (we used Wendella near the Wrigley Bldg.). All in all hotel and area made for a very enjoyable long weekend!

Stayed June 2006