“Hotel Blake a great stay for a good price”

Hotel Blake Chicago
Ranked #33 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Tripville
“Hotel Blake a great stay for a good price”
Reviewed December 29, 2009

My wife and I are no strangers to Chicago - we travel there frequently. We are also picky about our lodgings. On our most recent trip we stayed at the Hotel Blake (HB) for four (4) nights. In our previous travels we've stayed at some "supposed" higher end (priced) hotels and, while those hotels were nice, we found the HB to be a great deal. Our package included a reduced room rate, valet parking and 3-day CTA transit pass. Our first room on the third floor was a little noisy (it was near the street and stoplight) but the staff at the front quickly and without fuss moved us to a higher room. The rooms were spacious, clean and up-to-date. The continental breakfast, while not elaborate, was more than enough to satisfy our morning appetite and get us on our way. The HB is in a great downtown location within walking distance of some good restaurants, bars and CTA stops. The staff was friendly and helpful. We plan on staying at the HB again.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Turkish first
Memphis TN
Reviewed December 28, 2009

Hotel Blake was extremely convenient for my meeting at the FEMA Region V offices. My room was very spacious. It had a high ceiling and was clean and well provisioned. The bed was comfortable. The staff was very professional and customer-focused. It was a totally positive experience which exceeded my expectations. I was pleasantly surprised that they provided a complimentary quick breakfast, which was very helpful. I will definitely use the Blake again when in the area. For transportation from O'Hare, I scheduled Airport Express for pickup at O'Hare and Hotel Blake ($50 round trip).

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
chicago
Reviewed December 23, 2009

We had tickets to the theater and decided to make a day and night of it in downtown Chicago. We were very pleased with our decision to make the Blake Hotel our place to stay during this visit.

Maggie checked us in at the front desk and was very welcoming and helpful. We checked in a little early and were pleased that we were not forced to wait for our rooms. She was very helpful in helping us choose a restaurant and giving us ideas for activities in the city.

The rooms were beautiful--they were all recently renovated and looked like an upscale boutique hotel. The beds were very comfortable and quality linens were used. The showers were spa-like and I like the large size of the bathrooms with the double sinks which make it easier for more than one person getting ready.

We had dinner at the Custom House next door. The food was good and the service was excellent.

Having a complimentary breakfast was a nice treat. Corey made sure that we had everything that we needed--very appreciated!

We would definitely say at this hotel again and recommend it to a friend.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
new york
Reviewed December 17, 2009

The hotel is very upscale and the service is excellent. Overall, a great value.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Boston
Reviewed December 9, 2009

We had the opportunity to stay at the Hotel Blake during a last minute trip to Chicago. We kept going back and forth over booking here or spending almost twice as much to stay at the Palmer House Hilton. Because of the incredible rate and gorgeous photos, we decided to stay at the Blake. We honestly did not think it could ever measure up to what we saw online, but I am pleased to say that it vastly exceeded our expectations. Not only was it one of the most gorgeous, luxurious and comfortable hotels we have ever stayed in, but every single member of the staff was warm, friendly and incredibly accommodating. As we were attending a funeral the day we arrived, they allowed us to check in early (without charge) so that we could freshen up. The doorman were polite and helpful and the girls at the front desk a treat. Best of all, they allow pets, so our four legged friend was able to travel with us. We cannot say enough good things about the Hotel Blake!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
West Lafayette, IN
Reviewed December 1, 2009

I took my girlfriend to Chicago as a surprise anniversary present the weekend before Thanksgiving. I am unfamiliar with Chicago, but knew I wanted to stay near the museum and Millenium Park. On a value travel website, I found a rate for Hotel Blake less than half their advertised rate and I was sold. Reviews said it was 3-4 stars, but I really wasn't sure what to expect.

When we showed up, I was pleasantly surprised. It's in a good neighborhood, and only a few minutes walk from Michigan avenue. We checked in very late, but the desk staff was courteous and helpful, though we did have to unpack and carry our bags ourselves. Valet-parking was available from the hotel, but half price parking is available literally just down the street from the hotel. When we made it to our room on the 9th floor, I was amazed at the room. Large room, magnificent bed, good decorations, huge bathroom. There was no train or traffic noise on the 9th story, and we both got excellent sleep on the comfortable mattress. Free wifi, excellent soap, shampoo, body wash, etc... even a sewing kit. The room definitely deserved four stars, my only minor quibble was a little mold in the shower stall of an otherwise impeccable bathroom. We never really tried the TV, but the room clock connected to my ipod, which I thought was neat.

The free breakfast was great and unexpected, but I recommend getting there early as they ran out of donuts and danishes well before the posted closing time. Service was uniformly cordial and helpful, recommending good restaurants and nearby attractions. (awesome, but get there early). The pictures of Chicago posted on the Hotel Blake website were not representative of the actual view from the hotel, but google maps let me know what to expect in the vicinity. Overall, I heartily recommend the Hotel Blake and will probably stay there again if I can get the same rate.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
Reviewed November 23, 2009

When this hotel was booked for me I was somewhat skeptical as the price seemed to indicate a sub standard hotel but I thought it would be fine for one night. Boy was I surprised; this is a charming hotel with big rooms, very nicely designed and well appointed. My room had a spa like shower, a very good desk space to work at and free internet service. The staff was friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. Next door is a great restaurant the Custom House which I would recommend even if you were not staying at the hotel, so the fact that is right next door is a real bonus. This hotel will be on the top of my Chicago list of places to stay.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business