“Loved it!!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
PHX
“Loved it!!”
Reviewed July 20, 2009

My husband I and stayed at this wonderful hotel June 3-6. We love it here. The hotel is super nice and the staff were really friendly. I liked the area, we were close to everything. They actually had a book fair outside the day we were leaving. I was really nervous about the area because I had never stayed in downtown Chicago and have only been there one other time. But it worked out great for us. We went site seeing and went to see some of our family in the suburbs too. We were close to transportation. I think that took us all of 5 min to get there. We ate at Potbelly's next door and that was very very yummy. Perfect for a quick lunch and back out sight seeing. I would definatley stay here again. The only think that really bothered me was the vent looked like it needed to be replaced. I thought it was grimy but ended up being paint. Considering how old the hotel is,it is very nicely updated and decorated. We had a great view and were up to the street and barely heard anything. Now if you slept in until 10 or 11 maybe but I was up and out of the hotel by 8 and seriously the noise was not a issue. My favorite thing about this hotel was the bathrooms, they are killer!! OH, just be careful about the floor were you go get ice. My husband went up there and said it is quite scary especially at 11pm. I can't wait to go back I give this hotel a A+!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
  • Turkish first
phoenix
Reviewed July 17, 2009

My daughter and I traveled to the City to register her for college. She will be attending Columbia College in the fall. We had no idea where to stay,eat or how tour the city. The hotel was perfect in every way for our stay. Close walking access to the college,free breakfast every morning, across the street from the Lakefront (I love to run so I could easily get to the lake path), very friendly staff. We did not know what to do in the evening the staff knew where to send us and how to get around. The Hotel is extremely clean and beautifully decorated. This will be my hotel of choice each time I visit my daughter at Columbia.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Silver Spring, MD
Reviewed July 17, 2009

I recently stayed at the Hotel Blake for a leisure trip to Chicago for 5 nights from 7/7 to 7/12. I can only say good things about my stay there. Considering I wanted to pay less than $150/night and all my travel during my Chicago stay would be via public transit, the hotel was in an excellent location, very close to various Chicago "L" stations on many lines (the Library stop on the Loop itself, the Jackson stops on both the Blue and Red Lines, the LaSalle stop on the Blue Line, and the Harrison stop on the Red Line). Though the area near the hotel isn't the most built-up location in downtown Chicago, there still were a few restaurants and convenience stores nearby (the latter of which, both 7-Eleven and CVS, I utilized numerous times). Service in the hotel was good too - the rooms were cleaned thoroughly early each day, there was free, 24-7 internet access (though only one computer so sometimes I had to wait to get on), and a continental breakfast was available each morning (though I only used that the day I checked out and the options were somewhat limited). The cooling units in the rooms worked well too, making it more comfortable to sleep. From the room I had, I even had an excellent view of the Sears Tower (it will never be the Willis Tower and besides, when I was there it still was officially the Sears Tower!). The staff seemed friendly enough, though I didn't need their services much during my stay.

All in all, Hotel Blake served as an excellent base of operations for me during my stay in Chicago (which primarily involved going to a pair of Cubs and a pair of White Sox games, riding around the CTA "L" system, checking out the major train stations, checking out various neighborhoods and attractions both via transit and on foot, and taking a day trip up to Milwaukee to check out that city and go to a Brewers game - Hotel Blake is probably about 3/4 mile from Chicago Union Station). I'd definitely be interested in staying at Hotel Blake again during a future Chicago visit if their rates remain relatively low.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Denver, CO
Reviewed July 16, 2009

I had been planning my trip to see Chicago for the first time w/several friends for months and had spent weeks making sure we stayed at a luxurious conveniently located hotel in downtown Chicago. Unfortunately this hotel offered us nothing but one headache after the other. When we checked into our room we realized our room did not have two queen size beds as we had reserved. When we confronted the front desk staff they replied in a huffy manner that it wasn’t their problem and by “LAW” the hotel’s only obligation to me was a room at their lovely establishment. I asked to speak to a manager and they told us that they didn’t have a manager on duty and that there wasn’t going to be a manager coming in. They proceeded to let us know that they would be able to put us in a room with 2 beds the next day and a roll-a-way for the current evening. After 3 calls to the front desk and being 3am we still did not have a roll-a-way in the room! They let us know that they didn’t have any roll-a-ways for us that evening but that someone had checked-out at midnight and that we could move into that room for the night.

My other friends were given a handicap room, which wasn’t a huge deal accept for the fact that the room décor wasn’t nearly as nice as the non-handicap rooms and that the shower heads were so low that they only accommodated someone who was in a wheelchair. They clearly don’t realize that handicap people travel with people who are not in a wheelchair or have a different disability. When my friends called down to the front desk to see if they could move rooms they were told no! My friends asked what they could do for them because they were unsatisfied and they said they could give them drink tickets to the bar that had already closed for the evening. The next morning when they called down to see if they could have a room move the front desk said no again. They asked to speak with a manager and surprise apparently there was no manager on duty the next day either. How appalling their hotel’s guests have to ask their staff to help accommodate them and that there only response seemed to be “NO”. This was just a FEW of the run-ins we had with this establishment.

I am no stranger to traveling or the workings of a hotel establishment. I currently work for a 4 star Travel + Leisure top 50 hotels in North America in their reservations department. So, yes I do expect exemplary service and I know that it can be provided. At the same time I am more forgiving to some of their shortfalls as I know all hoteliers have been faced with the same situations. It’s so unfortunate that such a beautiful well located hotel has no sense on service; this may be due to the lack of management.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Tennessee
Reviewed July 13, 2009

We stayed for two nights at this hotel and booked it because of the price and what others were saying about the hotel on TripAdisor. I was dissappointed. Day shift bellhop was rude the minute we got out of the car. (Night shift bellhop, Greg, was excellent and funny) We arrived at 3 pm but did not realize until 8 pm that we only had 2 towels in the room (we had 4 in the room) We called for more towels, but you can only get towels from 8 to 6 when housekeeping is there! There are not many places to eat or do shopping, most close at 5 pm or 7pm. I was concerned about what they call 'secure parking' as a part of my $39.00 valet parking. Your car is actually in a public parking garage underground and your keys stay in your car with the window down (so flys or bugs can crawl in), so take every with you into the hotel. Rooms were ok (they charge you an extra $50.00 at checkin but will refund it to you after you leave as long as you don't mess up the room or steal anything (ha)
- beds were not comfortable at all, hard. Next time, we will stay in the River North area, more eateries, shopping, Navy Pier and closer to the 'el' trains and subway.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank WTnTraveler
Ohio
Reviewed July 9, 2009

This was my first time at the Blake Hotel in Chicago. I would definately go back. The service there was excellent, better than any other service I have had in the past. Jesse, the doorman was very helpful with information about where certain eateries were located at and also th best way to get around the town. The room was fantanstic with a king bed and a large walk-in shower. The staff was very courtious at all times. The continental breakfast was also good. Overall, I would say that my stay at the Blake was not only relaxing but in general an excellent experience that I would do again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank talondavis
Madison
Reviewed July 8, 2009

I had booked through Blakes website over a month in advance and a deal on the room with no cancellation allowed. We got to the off ramp on congress and was .9 miles from the hotel and it took just under 2 hours to get there due to traffic. We finally show up after dealing with all that traffic and come to find out there had given away our room and we had no where to stay in their hotel that night. Not off to a good start since we were going to the Brewers/Cubs game in the morning bright and early. They ended up putting us up in the holiday inn for the night for free and payed for the taxi to get us over there. So we had to park our car at the hotel for the night and hoped we had what we needed. When we got to the holiday inn, they had no record of Blake sending us there, they had only 4 reservations and i was not one of them. After another wait, they wrote my name over some other person they had reservations for from the Blake(not sure what they did with the other person when they showed). Once we got to the room, it was a smoking room! My girlfriend is allergic to smoke and those were the only rooms they had there. So after a horrible night, we had to wake up and pack up again bright and early to go back to the blake. This was not before we found out the holiday inn did not have a complimentary breakfast like the Blake was going to have. So after taking a cab back to blake, we went to have our luggage checked since a room would not be available until 3 PM which is 3 hours after the Brewer game started. Once we got the luggage checked, they said we could have breakfast there. It was the worst possible breakfast i had ever seen. They had one guy cutting and toasting bagels in a 4 slice toaster, pound cake cut and wrapped individually and honey buns. The juice was stuck in a bucket of ice when some ran out so it was not even cold. The bagel my girlfriend got had mold on the bottom of the bagel as well. Went to the game(Brewers killed 11-2) and when we got back, they had upgraded us to the larger king size room. The room was nice and well maintained. When we woke up the next morning, we had no hot water! We called down to the front desk and they brought up a key card to take a shower in the only other open room which was nice. They ended up taking off some of the total which helped in the end to make things somewhat right. Seems like a decent place as long as you have a room and go out for breakfast. Good location.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends