“Dissappointed-not what others are saying”

Hotel Blake Chicago
Ranked #33 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Tennessee
“Dissappointed-not what others are saying”
Reviewed July 13, 2009

We stayed for two nights at this hotel and booked it because of the price and what others were saying about the hotel on TripAdisor. I was dissappointed. Day shift bellhop was rude the minute we got out of the car. (Night shift bellhop, Greg, was excellent and funny) We arrived at 3 pm but did not realize until 8 pm that we only had 2 towels in the room (we had 4 in the room) We called for more towels, but you can only get towels from 8 to 6 when housekeeping is there! There are not many places to eat or do shopping, most close at 5 pm or 7pm. I was concerned about what they call 'secure parking' as a part of my $39.00 valet parking. Your car is actually in a public parking garage underground and your keys stay in your car with the window down (so flys or bugs can crawl in), so take every with you into the hotel. Rooms were ok (they charge you an extra $50.00 at checkin but will refund it to you after you leave as long as you don't mess up the room or steal anything (ha)
- beds were not comfortable at all, hard. Next time, we will stay in the River North area, more eateries, shopping, Navy Pier and closer to the 'el' trains and subway.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank WTnTraveler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
  • Turkish first
Ohio
Reviewed July 9, 2009

This was my first time at the Blake Hotel in Chicago. I would definately go back. The service there was excellent, better than any other service I have had in the past. Jesse, the doorman was very helpful with information about where certain eateries were located at and also th best way to get around the town. The room was fantanstic with a king bed and a large walk-in shower. The staff was very courtious at all times. The continental breakfast was also good. Overall, I would say that my stay at the Blake was not only relaxing but in general an excellent experience that I would do again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank talondavis
Madison
Reviewed July 8, 2009

I had booked through Blakes website over a month in advance and a deal on the room with no cancellation allowed. We got to the off ramp on congress and was .9 miles from the hotel and it took just under 2 hours to get there due to traffic. We finally show up after dealing with all that traffic and come to find out there had given away our room and we had no where to stay in their hotel that night. Not off to a good start since we were going to the Brewers/Cubs game in the morning bright and early. They ended up putting us up in the holiday inn for the night for free and payed for the taxi to get us over there. So we had to park our car at the hotel for the night and hoped we had what we needed. When we got to the holiday inn, they had no record of Blake sending us there, they had only 4 reservations and i was not one of them. After another wait, they wrote my name over some other person they had reservations for from the Blake(not sure what they did with the other person when they showed). Once we got to the room, it was a smoking room! My girlfriend is allergic to smoke and those were the only rooms they had there. So after a horrible night, we had to wake up and pack up again bright and early to go back to the blake. This was not before we found out the holiday inn did not have a complimentary breakfast like the Blake was going to have. So after taking a cab back to blake, we went to have our luggage checked since a room would not be available until 3 PM which is 3 hours after the Brewer game started. Once we got the luggage checked, they said we could have breakfast there. It was the worst possible breakfast i had ever seen. They had one guy cutting and toasting bagels in a 4 slice toaster, pound cake cut and wrapped individually and honey buns. The juice was stuck in a bucket of ice when some ran out so it was not even cold. The bagel my girlfriend got had mold on the bottom of the bagel as well. Went to the game(Brewers killed 11-2) and when we got back, they had upgraded us to the larger king size room. The room was nice and well maintained. When we woke up the next morning, we had no hot water! We called down to the front desk and they brought up a key card to take a shower in the only other open room which was nice. They ended up taking off some of the total which helped in the end to make things somewhat right. Seems like a decent place as long as you have a room and go out for breakfast. Good location.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
decolombelle
Reviewed July 1, 2009

I arrived from NY fraught, dirty and hot. The reception from the staff at Hotel Blake sorted the first of those - efficient and courteous to a fault - and the wonderful rain-head shower in the bathroom sorted the last two. Room service for a late lunch was as good as reception, with much to tempt on the room service menu. I felt completely restored within an hour.

The bar staff were friendly and helpful, while the food in the restaurant for a business dinner was very good indeed.

I also greatly appreciated breakfast being provided - much more what I'm used to, coming from the UK. Location was quiet, but perfectly convenient, the room was spacious, the bed wonderfully comfortable. If I have any quibbles at all, it was the provision of only one computer in the business centre - there was always a queue to use it!

I would certainly stay again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank decolombelle
Louisville, KY
Reviewed June 22, 2009

My new husband and I decided to spend our honeymoon in Chicago and, after much looking, found a good deal with the Hotel Blake. He was new to the city but I'd stayed there numerous times but never stayed south of the river. But, it was a pleasant surprise! The hotel was wonderful. The room was great. The bathroom was huge. Granted, there was no refrigerator nor microwave, but we survived nicely without them. We walked everywhere. The weather was beautiful, so we took advantage of the City Pass, getting tickets to Adler, Hancock, Shedd, and Field (ran out of time and didn't make it to Science & Industry). We walked to all of the above, and also to Navy Pier and spent lots of time in Grant Park and Millenium Park.
While you're there, get out of the hotel and walk. There are lots of restaurants around, and the more you walk, the more delightful places you'll find.
The front desk staff were VERY friendly and helpful. Never made it downstairs for the free breakfast so can't comment on that. Parking was at a garage around the corner for $39 a day, I think, with in-and-out privileges, but we never used the car.
I think this is my new favorite hotel in Chicago.

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SBMLMK
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 13, 2009

My husband, daugher and I stayed at Hotel Blake in May - our first time in Chicago. Everything was great - the hotel staff were friendly, helpful and professional. Our room was large and well appointed, and the bathroom was large and luxurious. The beds were very comfortable. The continental breakfast (included) is simply some bagels, juice and coffee served in the lobby, but good enough to start the day.

We thought the location was good - a few blocks from the waterfront and Buckingham fountain. From there we walked to Millenium Park and then down Michigan Avenue, the Magnificent Mile shopping area to Hancock Tower (which I recommend for a view of Chicago - go an hour or so before sunset and stay until afterwards to get both day and night views).

The Hotel Blake is located in the business area which is quiet in the evening, but the concierge/doorman recommended bars/restaurants we could walk to. We also found that taxis were very reasonable. The valet parking is pricey, but we checked the area and all parking seemed quite expensive. It was convenient and safe, so it was worth it to us.

My son has since stayed at Hotel Blake for a weekend in a king bed room and also had a positive experience - the room was large, luxuriously appointed and very comfortable and the staff were great. When in Chicago, we will definitely stay at Hotel Blake!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank Cdn_TravellerX2
Memphis
Reviewed June 12, 2009

I choose this hotel because of the photos online and the price for a package through Priceline. While I generally trust the site and I always double check with Trip Advisor obvisouly this slipped by me. I was greeted in the Lobby by a drunken guest, andf super loud doorman. I told the counter agent that my flight was 10 hours late, that I had a early morning meeting and she then put me on a floor with a girls night out party facing the street! The temparature in Chicago right now is 60 and my room is freezing cold. I called for a blanket and they told me that they do not have any more???? Huh?

There are no amenities here and my dinner was a bag of Hot Fries from the 7-11\ and if you park your car you are going to pay $39.00 to park. Are you kidding? Okay, I thought I had a deal but this is a dud...

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business