“Just an ok hotel”

Hotel Blake Chicago
Ranked #37 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I booked from Travelocity with one single king size bed for two nights. When I checked in, the front desk did not say anything but just handed me the key to my room. My first surprise of the hotel was when I step out of elevator and saw stairs (glad it was like 5 steps only) to my room. After carrying my luggage whole day long, I cannot believe that I have to deal with stairs in a hotel. And then I realized that I got a room with two queen size beds. I called the front desk and was told that they were pretty full that night, and this room is actually an upgrade since it is bigger than the one I reserved (though I traveled alone and there is no use to have two beds). This kind of stuff happened to me before so I am ok to have different room, but it would be nice to know that when I checked in. This room is spacious but not well designed, and it does not have some basic stuff you would expect in a hotel room. There is no luggage stand or any chair you can place your suitcase (now I can appreciate the extra bed I have). The desk has no outlet for laptop, not even on the wall nearby. No outlet near/on the night stand either. The only vending machine and ice machine are on the 12th floor, not on every floor. The furniture in the room look aged, the curtain of my room even has a quarter-size hole on it. This is not really a bad room but just not very well for a nice hotel like this one. And then I realized the worst part in this room, the carpet of the entry area is wet. And that is where between the room and bathroom. I called again and was first told that they will send someone to check this out. Few minutes later, another person called and told me that there was some problem with the A/C so that the carpet was soak in the water from the A/C outlet above. They have tried everything to clean it up during the day after fixing the A/C, but now they can only wait the carpet to dry on its own. And again, they had a full house so I can only switch room for tomorrow night if I want. Since the room was prepaid from third-party, so he can only offer me free breakfast during my stay (cost $9 per day according to him, but it was the most pathetic continental breakfast I’ve ever seen, even worse than most free breakfast at hostels). And he also comfiremd my email address and offer to send me a coupon with discount (30% off or something) for future stay, but nothing sent to my email at all. (I don’t even bother to ask later since I don’t think I want to go back again….) The room was freezing no matter how high the temperature I set, I ended up shut down the A/C completed for the whole night. I decided to ask for a room change the next morning after such an unpleasant night. Apparently they cannot move my luggage for me during the day, so I had to bring them downstairs to the doorman to put them in the storage before I went out to the city. When I got back in the afternoon, my room was ready. They offered me a suite which is a very nice and beautiful room with the view of city streets. This room still have the problem that only few outlets available on the wall with some distance from any table/bed. I had very different experience for the two nights, but do appreciate that they tried their best to compensate the problem I had for the first night. The good thing of this hotel (regarding to the room issue) is that the mattress is very comfortable. The location is good if you want to be near the center of the city with walking distance and many buses and subway stations nearby, but you have to be able to tolerate the noise. (I don’t know if there is a hospital or something nearby, I heard the siren frequently, even when the first room I had was facing the back not the street. Glad I am tired enough and the bed is comfortable enough…)

Room Tip: Ask for the room which does not have to go through stairs if you don't want to carry your heavy...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Vee J, Director of Sales at Hotel Blake Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. Your feedback is important to us in order to ensure that we maintain high quality service and accommodations for our guests. I am sorry to hear about the issues endured during your stay. A bellman should have been able to assist you with your luggage up the stairs. I am sorry that we did not have the room you requested available upon arrival, but I am pleased to hear that we could accommodate you with a larger room. We do appreciate your feedback in regards to luggage stands. You will be happy to know that I have passed your comments along to our General Manager for future renovations. I am also sorry to hear that you had difficulties finding an outlet for your laptop. Our front desk should have been able to assist and I apologize that they did not do so. In regards to the location of our ice machine on the 12th floor, we have it located there away from the rooms to ensure a quiet night for our guests. A staff member would have been more than happy to assist with bringing ice directly to your room upon request. We apologize for the incident with the a/c unit, but I am pleased that we were able to upgrade you to a one-bedroom suite. I would appreciate it if you would contact our General Manager, Tom Bruno, by calling the hotel directly at 312-986-1234 to discuss your stay further. Again, I am sorry that your stay did not go as planned. I do hope you give our hotel another chance to show you the best we have to offer our guests.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,043)

Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts
Thomas B, General Manager at Hotel Blake Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Came to Chicago for a leisurely weekend. Upon arrival, we were immediately greeted by the bellman (Showtime) who was extremely helpful and very pleasant. The hotel which we found out is over 100 years old but has been thoroughly remodeled with an elegant décor. Iced cucumber water and iced lemon water as well as fresh apples were available to guests each day (nice touch). Desk Staff was very friendly and helpful as well. Only downside for us was parking. Do not like valet parking and definitely don't like leaving my keys with attendants (personal issue). We did find a lot across the street where we parked and locked our car. Overall great stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your stay with us at the Wyndham Blake Chicago. I am happy to hear that you had a great stay at our hotel with our friendly staff, deluxe accommodations, and beautiful decor. We appreciate your comments and look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed September 1, 2013