WINNER WONDERLAND

GreenLeadersBronze level
New York City, New York
“Room 101”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

I recently stayed at the Wyndham Blake Chicago for business. My company had used a 3rd party for the booking, there were 3 rooms booked under my name. I arrived around 8pm and upon check-in was given room 101. I was told it was on the 1st floor - interesting since we are not in Europe I knew that would be street level, or not very far from that. The front desk clerk said I would have to take the elevator to the 2nd floor and then take a flight of stairs down to my room. I believe my comment was "are you serious?!?". Response: "Yes that is the room reserved for you". I asked if it was safe. I was told "it is a lovely room". Too tired to argue I went to the dungeon I had been banished to by the Hotel Gods. The room was in fact lovely, newly redone, clean, etc. Aside from its location which was HORRENDOUS,I thought this is ok. Looking out the window, the view was an ally, the room is about 10 feet off of street level, dumpsters right below the window and a lovely lamppost, complete with planters and a gigantic light right at the center of the window. The blackout curtains do their best to shield the light however, there is a bright frame formed by the space between the wall and the curtain. I could live with that, I live in NYC, there is seldom total darkness or complete silence for that matter. The fact that someone could climb up the lamppost to get to the room, using the dumpster and the planters, wasn't something I really understood until I walked around back in the morning. I went to dinner-nothing in the Hotel and nothing really good close to the hotel. Returned and went to sleep. At 4:13am the garbage trucks began emptying the dumpsters. Needless to say that was ongoing. After almost loosing my mind from the noise for 3 hours, I got up and checked out. When asked how my stay was, I was very descriptive. The front desk clerks, to their credit, did feel bad, saying yeah, those are bad rooms... Really!?! My colleagues were on the 5th & 8th floors not facing the ally, I'm sure had a different experience (BTW I was not the last to check in, Mr. 8th floor got there at 10pm, so clearly there were other rooms). Had I not said something about the rooms location at check in, I would not be annoyed. I should have made a bigger deal about it upfront, lesson learned. The Hotel should never give that room or any other room at that level unless the people are fully aware that they will have a sleepless night!! Use the room as a courtesy room, shame on you for charging almost $200. I wasn't expecting The Four Seasons, having said that it doesn't matter. The purpose of a hotel is to be comfortable away from home... Well that's not where I live.

Room Tip: If given any room with 100 in the number at this hotel RUN!!! Be sure to face the front of the hote...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
3 Thank DORSAM67
Vee J, Director of Sales at Hotel Blake Chicago, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thank you for sharing your feedback of the Wyndham Blake Chicago. Your feedback is important to us in order to ensure that we maintain high quality service and accommodations for our guests. I apologize for the experience you endured during your stay. Our staff strives to meet the needs of our travelers and we are sorry that we could not meet your expectations during your trip. I have passed along your comments in regards to our valet service to our General Manager, Tom Bruno. We would appreciate it if you would contact him at (312) 986-1234 so that we can address your issues in further detail. Again, thank you for your feedback and we hope you give us another chance to show you the best we have to offer.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Turkish first
North Yorkshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

Location fine, in the Printers District but walking distance of the Magnificent Mile. Room ok comfortable. Enthusiastic doorman he was really nice and helpful.
The restaurant had not renewed its tenancy so no where to go to eat on site. We were told by people in the bar opposite this had just happened , we were not made aware of this when booking. It is the abscence of the restaurant that has let the hotel down as overall our stay in the hotel was fine.
Small bar but it closed at 10 pm. I am afraid it just lacked atmosphere and I thought quite expensive considering. Location good , staff good, room good just disappointing hotel experience

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
1 Thank SusieNorthYorkshire
Vee J, Director of Sales at Hotel Blake Chicago, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Wyndham Blake Chicago. Your feedback is important to us in order to ensure that we maintain high quality service and accommodations for our guests. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our rooms and friendly staff. I apologize for the inconvenience with the restaurant. On your next visit, be sure to ask our friendly front desk agents and doormen for recommendations on area restaurants and bars. We value your business and hope you gives us another chance to show you the best we have to offer.