“Great Value, Location and Room in Boutique Hotel”

Hotel Blake Chicago
Ranked #34 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 14, 2011

The Wyndham Blake is a small boutique type hotel located in the historic Printers Row section of the South Loop, within walking distance of all the Loop's attractions. The Blue Line from O'Hare drops you off just 2 blocks from the hotel (45 minute ride for $2.50) and there is also CTA bus service very close to the hotel which we used to go to the Loop as well as the museums to the south. Our room was bright and quite large considering it is in an historic building. I expected a small room with inadequate lighting but this was sure not the case. Bed, linens and pillows were wonderful as was the decor. Our room was large. It looked out on Dearborn and I expected to hear noise at night but it wasn't a problem at all. We slept like a top. Good insulation plus darkening drapes helped, I'm sure. Nice bathroom with a large shower with a "rain" type shower head. Great water pressure. Free internet. Staff friendly and helpful. The doorman gave us his card which got us into Andy's for jazz without a cover charge. Adjacent restaurant and a lobby bar although we didn't use either. Hotel's restaurant is quite pricey but there were plenty of reasonable eating options within a block of the hotel as well as a Starbucks right across the street. Room had a very large flat screen t.v. We felt this hotel was a great option for the money and will stay here again if we return to Chicago.

Room Tip: We requested a king bed and the room was nice and roomy.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank minic00per

Reviewed September 12, 2011

We spent 4 nights at this hotel and would definitely stay there again. This was our first time in Chicago so when I booked this place I didn't have much to go on the. We stayed in a standard double...very clean and the room itself was huge, the beds were comfortable, the A/C was great, the bathroom was also large (two big sinks, large walk-in shower...no tub). The staff were all friendly and helpful. One particular bellman, Showtime, is great at giving advice on where to eat and what to do! The location of the WB is also a plus. It's sort of tucked away and quiet but there are some great restaurants within walking distance. (Go to Hackney's for sure!!) It's an easy walk to Grant Park but you'll probably want to take a taxi to the shopping part of Michigan Ave. Overall, this is a great place for comfort, cleanliness and convenience. The only reason I didn't give it an "excellent" is because they advertise a continental breakfast and they shouldn't. It consisted of some fruit and a handful of puny muffins and maybe water. Otherwise, I highly recommend it!

Room Tip: This is not a room with any good views. Also, some floors, like the 3rd where we stayed have a split...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank skwilson4
Reviewed September 12, 2011

I traveled to Chicago for a short little working vacation and chose the Wyndham Blake for three reasons: price, location, amenities. It's right downtown, walking distance to everything you want to tour in Chicago, the art gallery, the main shopping, plus it's perfectly easy to walk north to the club district. Blue and Red line subways are a few easy minutes walk.

For price, it's hard to beat. I know people have complained of noise or construction, but even with the road dug up right outside I didn't notice a lot of noise you wouldn't find staying in any other big American city. Plus, I woke up one morning to find an entire painting crew outside my door and I hadn't noticed! Noisy? Hardly. This was the cheapest price I could find that included the two amenities that mattered to me most - free WiFi and continental breakfast.

I hate having to pay for internet (cheap hotels it's free, expensive ones charge - how does THAT make sense???), so Wyndham had free, reliable internet. The continental breakfast was little more than a pile of muffins and some fruit (oranges and apples on my visit) and some coffee/tea. I love a big luscious breakfast as much as the next person, but for those who just want to get something to eat, caffeine-up and go, this is perfect.

Gripes? None really. The front desk staff were really pleasant and helpful. I didn't try the restaurant, instead heading to the nearby Hackney's for their local beer selection (and KILLER friend onions) or Bar Louie for a great tex mex dinner.

I will be back.

Oh, did you know you can take the subway from the airport??? Do it, save yourself the $$$ in a taxi or shuttle. It's super easy. I wish I knew!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank MontyK
Reviewed September 11, 2011

Great hotel! Exellent service! The rooms are marvellous, and the internet worked fine all the time. I also recommend the coffee in the rooms (a small coffemaker and coffeepods, also free.)No complaints at all. Will come back again for sure.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 6, 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights in late August. Great room, very comfortable. Liked the bed, sheets, nice bathroom. Extremely helpful front desk staff. Continental breakfast is poor though -- muffins and coffee, nothing else (although the blueberry muffins were loaded with berries). We just got a coffee and went out for breakfast. Had a view of the cool library across the street. There was road work going on outside, but the noise was minimal and did not bother or wake us. We liked the location, just a couple blocks away from the El, choice of two stops. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 6, 2011

Hotel was unique and pretty - nice large rooms, lots of character.

We were there for our honeymoon and they offered to upgrade us to a suite to celebrate. But in order to do that, we needed to wait 3 hours before checking in to clean it. So, we went to explore the city. When we came back, we checked in and found that we were not upgraded at all - just a normal room with a 3 hour inconvenience.

Instead of restocking for towels/toiletries, they simply removed the used. By the last day, we had one shower towel and no toiletries left and had to request more.

Restaurant was closed, breakfast was just barely average dried pastries and apples - we went elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Erin P
Reviewed September 2, 2011

The hotel is nice kind of old but nice, service OK, everything very clear as expected and the breakfast was very bad, almost nothing was served. Nice location.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple