“Horrible Experience”

GreenLeadersBronze level
London, United Kingdom
“Horrible Experience”
Reviewed September 27, 2007

I booked 3 nights at Hotel Blake for my friends through Expedia website. The charge was on my credit card. However three days after my friend left Hotel Blake, he found his credit card was also charged with same amount. Nobody contacted him or me for this mistake which cost him around extra $600 USD.

My friend and I went to Hotel Blake receiption for explanation, the staff was soooo rude and impatient. His name is Chris. He made the mistake and even teased us by saying: Wow, you really need this $600 dollars, poor you! We got really angry.

I tried to talk with Hotel Blake's manager, but they were helpless. They asked me to deal with Chris only because it was him who did this mistake. My friend and I were really really disappointed. We will NEVER book Hotel Blake again!

Wish all travelers to be careful of your bills when checking out!!

Stayed September 2007
1 Thank Krugrose

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 21, 2007

Booked 2 months in advance, reconfirmed two days before my stay -- got to the hotel and was told that they overbooked by 30+ people! Traveled with a group of six others for a convention in the downtown Chicago area, and we were all told that were we going to be sent to another hotel 30min outside of downtown. We were in the city for a three day convention, two of which days were overbooked at the Hotel Blake -- the most unprofessional hotel experience I have ever experienced.

• Liked — Sad to say, nothing
  • Disliked — Very poor service
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank Kakuhisa
NYC
Reviewed September 14, 2007

We had high expections for the Blake - some of them were met - the rooms and decor were stylish, attractive, comfortable - definitely well above average and I liked the nabe, but there were disappointing lapses. It seems to me the Blake is trying to deliver the amenities of an upscale chain but to also provide an individual flavor. The attractive individual flavor and comfort were there but there were annoying issues in maintenance and staff training , which I guess might have been dealt with in a chain hotel. Im thinking of a broken AC fan, which made a noise like a jet - we had to call the desk to figure out how to turn it off, a leaky faucet in the bathroom that left a pool of water on the lovely stone vanity, veneer damage that had not been repaired on the attractive furniture and a missing pull in our son's room, towells that were not replenished, WIFI down in the rooms, and some staff that were, to my taste, inappropriately informal in behavior. Others might have liked that last. I hope the Blake has been able to address some of these.

• Liked — style, comfort and location
  • Disliked — niggling flaws given the price
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
Kentucky
Reviewed September 13, 2007

My husband and I went to Chicago for Labor Day weekend. We love music and architecture and have been wanting to go for a long time. Many of the hotels I tried to book downtown were super expensive. I ran across Hotel Blake on Priceline and then called the hotel to book a room. The listing price on the website was 499.00 a night but w/ my AAA rate it was 151.00 a night. I was hooked!

Looking at photos of the hotel doesn't do justice. This boutique hotel is very modern and chic. The wood is a dark stained wood throughout the hotel and the lobby is gorgeous. We checked in around 3pm and the help was very nice and informative. Check in did take a little extra time as they only had me staying one night, when I reserved two nights. I showed them my reservation confirmation and it was fixed (another reason I ALWAYS print it out).

We went up to the room and was very happy. It was beautiful and very modern w/ tall ceilings. The bathroom was a bit small. There is no shower curtain..just a small piece of glass that is decorated like many foreign hotels. The bed was super soft and nice! Had a high thread sheet count and feather down comforter and pillows.

All in all we were very happy, especially with the location being right near the Loop. I would definitely stay here again as it was in my price range and everything was great!

Stayed September 2007
1 Thank kygirl79
Thomson, Illinois
Reviewed September 5, 2007

My co-worker and I stayed at the Blake for 2 nights while we were attending a class downtown. We really enjoyed our stay at the Blake. The rooms were a very nice size for a downtown hotel, and the bathroom was huge! The beds had high thread count sheets and very comfy duvets, and the room had a very modern, chic decor.
We didn't use the workout room at all, but it looked very clean, with a lot of newer equipment.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank cari25bb
Columbia, IL
Reviewed August 26, 2007

Spent the weekend at the Blake and will be going back. We got to Chicago in the morning and since our room was available, we got to check in several hours before the normal time. Our room was on the first floor facing the front (Dearborn). There was some noise from the street but not enough to bother us. In fact, it was nice to look out the window and see the activity on the street. Everything in the room worked perfectly and the room was clean. The personnel were very helpful and courteous. We did not eat at the Custom House because it is fairly expensive, but you are not far from other restaurants and don't miss Orange around the corner for breakfast or lunch. Since this is a small hotel, it also felt safe and secure and I enjoyed staying somewhere besides the Magnificent Mile, yet being close to everything. I will certainly be back to the Hotel Blake.

• Stayed August 2007
1 Thank Mops1
Alhambra, CA
Reviewed August 20, 2007

I spent two nights at the Blake. All of the employees were nice and the room was great. (I was on the 11th floor...facing the Dearborn St.) I also liked the location. I had a friend staying at the Hilton on Michigan Avenue and it was only a five-minute walk.

It was also easy to walk to the Loop, with lots of cool places to eat.

This was the best price I found for the weekend I was in Chicago (Sat/Sun nights). The TV in the room didn't work. When I called the front desk they said the engineering dept. had gone home for the night and cheerfully deducted some money from my nightly rate for that night. I was quite impressed. The TV was fixed the next day.

I think that some of the negative reviews are because the hotel's website make it sound like all of the rooms have very high ceilings and other amenities. I think it's only the suites that have them. Sloppy wording on the hotel's part.

The only issues were that the room would small a bit musty when I walked it, but the smell would go away. I think it was from the humidity in the bathroom since there doesn't seem to be a fan to dissipate the steam. Also, it would be nice if they had more then one computer in the business center, even thought the people using it were more than happy to give it up if they saw that others were waiting for it.

For the right price this is a great place to stay. It's also across from the main Chicago library, close to subways and Michigan Avenue.

• Liked — price, location, rooms
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled solo