“Wonderful Stay!”

Fairmont Chicago Millennium Park
Ranked #90 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 4, 2006

I went to Chicago for a quick weekend getaway and decided to stay at the Fairmont and was completely satisified. ALL the staff was pleasant and helpful. The room was wonderful and I felt like I was living a life of luxury. The bathroom was great with a seperate shower and tub. I wish I had more time because I would have ordered the in room service they offer to draw a bath with goodies. Bathrobes are in the room and there is a seperate vanity area. They have a nice office center with internet access and allow for free printing of boarding passes. The concierge desk was also very helpful. Overall it was a great experience. I would highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled solo
4  Thank winhangar
There are newer reviews for Fairmont Chicago Millennium Park

Reviewed September 4, 2006

The room was more comfortable then we could have imagined...especially the bed! The room was very clean, comfortable, and big! It was larger than I expected, including the washroom. Loads of space to lounge around.

And of course, as per Fairmont standards, the service was excellent.

The location is great -- close to so many attractions and great shopping. We had a room with a city view, which was lovely.

We got an excellent rate, so it really made the stay worthwhile.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled as a couple
5  Thank travel-lover71
Reviewed September 4, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Fairmont for Labor Day weekend for our first visit to Chicago. We got a ridulously affordable rate including breakfast every day, the only catch it was non refundable. I would suggest joining the Fairmont's presidents club, which is what we did and got free use of the gym, free internet daily and free late 3pm check out. The rooms were large, the beds comfortable. The only complaint we had was the shower, terrible water pressure. The hotel was clean, the staff helpful. Great location, a bit off Michigan Avenue so its quiet. When we go visit chicago again I would not stay anywhere else. Ask for the presidents club rate including breakfast and join the presidents club, its free!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
7  Thank StephanieG
Reviewed August 22, 2006

My sons and I stayed at the Fairmont for 3 nights Aug 19,20 and 21. The Hotel is located only a block south of the Chicago River and two blocks off Michagan Avenue in a quiet area with just another hotel and some office building with some residential tower towards the lake. A peaceful spot but a brisk 5-7 minute walk to Michigan Avenue. We went to two games at Wrigley Field and the Red Line is only a 10-12 minute walk.

The Fairmont is a very attractive hotel that is just starting to show some wear around the edges, but you have to look for it. Our rooms wer large and comfortable with great bathroom. Beds were very comfortable. The only drawback is the walls are a bit thin and so noise from the hall and from the next room were more easily heard than you would like. Having said that, apart from a couple having a lot of fun in the room next to me for a couple of hours one evening , this did not detract from the stay.

The lobby has a very nice , large , comfortable area in the middle for drinks, reading and relaxing with wirless internet. There is coffee, bagels, juice, croissants, muffins available on a self serve basis each morning and it works very well. Only drawback is it was to be available until noon on Sunday but by 11 a.m. there was only coffee and a couple of muffins left and no attempt was made to supplement the supply.

The staff was efficient and very friendly, particularly the front door staff. There was no turndown service at night but I didn't miss it.

We didn't eat in the Hotel restaurant although it looked very nice .

The overall atmosphere of the Fairmont was very calm, relaxing and comfortable. I have stayed at many Chicago hotels, including the Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton , Sheraton and others and I would rank this hotel just slightly below the Four Seasons and the Ritz Carlton on amenities but far ahead of the Drake and Sheraton.

5  Thank Nakina
Reviewed August 20, 2006

My friends and I travel together quite a lot. We had booked more than a month in advance and had requested two doubles, but despite the fact that we arrived at 11 in the morning, we were told that they were out of doubles, so we had to take a king (lumpy mattress) and a fiendishly uncomfortable rollaway (the good news: they didn't charge us for the rollaway). The room was so small that the rollaway barely fit, so that we had to crawl over the person in it to get to the bathroom in the middle of the night. The toilet leaked -- they fixed it fairly promptly, but after that, it flushed only with great difficulty. Also, the shower dripped loudly all night, and nothing we did could make it stop. There was no coffeemaker in the room (we were told, after the fact, that we could have "requested" one, but I'm sure they would have charged us for it), but you could buy coffee in the lobby during breakfast for $2.50 a cup! Needless to say, the breakfast wasn't free; there was a minibar in the room, but none of us were interested in paying the ridiculous prices for that. Our advice: get up early and go to Houlihan's a few blocks away for the $10 breakfast buffet.

Internet access was $14.95 per computer per day, the highest price we've ever paid anywhere, and the only time we've had to pay for internet access anywhere in more than two years. There was one dataport in the room; all three of us had laptops and needed to get some work done, so this was very inconvenient. The only wireless access was in the lobby and apparently, there was a charge for that, too.

The staff was nice but fairly indifferent, and I have to say we've been treated better at the cheapest chain hotel off the interstate than we were here, and at less than a third of the price. We were embarrassed to have recommended this place to our friends.

No, we wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with friends
8  Thank Julia M
Reviewed August 19, 2006

My wife & I stayed at the Fairmont from Aug. 11-13th while we saw some family and attended some concerts at the Chicago Theatre. We booked through the Fairmont website.

The hotel staff was very nice and accommodated every request. We arrived at 1pm, and were given our choice of rooms that were available for check-in. Mini-Bar & Room Service were pricey, but it's an expensive hotel, so we expected it. Room Service Breakfast was fantastic.

There were at least two weddings going on that day in the hotel and they managed them just fine, to our eyes anyway.

Hotel is in an excellent location. Walking distance to the Theatre, Giordano's Pizza, all train lines, Grant Park, the big fountain, and probably alot more.

We will stay at the Fairmont in future visits.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank mrz200
Reviewed August 14, 2006

My family of four went to a convention and stayed here in early August. We were promised a room with two double beds. When we arrived (earlier than most) we were told they were 45 double beds short. We reluctantly agreed to take a room with a king bed and a promise of a roll away bed. We had a to sleep very uncomfortably with a 12 year old in our bed and our other child in the roll away. Little did we know we were being CHARGED a daily fee for this bed. The managment could not handle the large group that was at this hotel. The bellhops and bartenders were visibly stressed and we did not have towels one day until very late at night. The managers would not take off the roll away bed charge and were not the least bit accomodating. We were so disappointed in this hotel. Also, they do not have a pool here. If you want to use a pool there is a health club next to the hotel but you have to pay $20 a day to use it. $80 for a family to take a little swim was a bit ridiculous. Do yourself a favor, if you want to be accomodated and are thinking of booking this hotel for a convention or otherwise, go elsewhere. Chicago has too many hotels to choose from to pick this one.
I never heard back from managment on this issue when I called and emailed so obviously they don't care, even when I told them I'd write a review on this website.
Chicago is an awesome city though. We loved it!

6  Thank travelingal