“Great hotel but location not great for walkers”

Fairmont Chicago Millennium Park
Ranked #88 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 31, 2010

Stayed at this hotel as part of my birthday vacation - location is not the best if you are travelling by method other than car - it's a bit of a walk to the train and especially so in the cold of December. The lobby and rooms were quite elegant - I can't believe how big the room was they gave me! Staff were for the most part okay, excellent in the business center, but had some difficulty trying to connect with a concierge, The only restuarant I saw was a sushi place - not what I'm looking for when I dine out. I don't remember internet access being free so I will say it was not. For $67 a night through Priceline, a good deal.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo

Reviewed January 26, 2010

This hotel is beautiful inside and out. It's really close to everything and I totally recommend it!

Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 26, 2010

Enjoyed the view, the huge bathing area, full bar and turnback service, heavy hooded robes. I mean what should I had expect? Great time

Stayed: January 2007, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 18, 2010

was very nice. Great new spa. Great location. Loved the Bentley!

Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed January 9, 2010

We stayed here in Oct 09 for a football game (nice walk along the waterfront to get to the stadium 30min walk)

The location is great, you are walking distance to downtown Chicago, where all the shops are, and about a 15minute walk to the real trendy shopping area, or a $5 cab ride into the main area. The hotel is very nice and has many restaurants in it and around it, the prices are abit pricey though, so I would recommend going somewhere else to eat. breakfast alone was something like $20USD and you didn't get a whole lot out of it. My friends also had room service and commented on how expensive it was.

The rooms were abit small, but clean and very nicely decorated.

We booked a tour through the hotel and they seemed to be pretty helpful, they also have a nice business area.

if you are a fairmont presidents club member, you can get free highspeed wireless in your room. i had a problem setting my laptop out and they had me phone their technical company and they were very helpful.

The have a fitness center with some weights and machines, which was nice. We were able to use that one morning.

Overall, good location, if you can get this 4* plus hotel for a decent price, i would recommend it, just for the location. Go somewhere else for drinks and food. it's abit over priced, that is my only negative to this place.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tg49ers
Reviewed December 15, 2009

great service in general
the staff was incredible
great food and room service

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled on business
Reviewed December 2, 2009

I was looking forward to staying here for my wedding in late September, and was surprised by the signs of hard times that were subtle, but affected me and my husband. For example, he got locked out of our room 2 times, once having to wait for 15 minutes in the hallway after going to the spa. The other time was when he was getting ready for our wedding ceremony, so that was stressful because he lost some time. The keycard just would stop working. Then a fuse blew, so we had no power while trying to get ready.

It happened to me also, coming back from the spa, and I called on the hallway phone to get help. Luckily, right after that, an employee who was randomly walking by asked me if I had been waiting long--as if she knew this was a problem. I said no, and she called down to check. Apparently, no one had even called Security to get me back into my room! She had a set of keys and let me in, thank god.

Then, on our wedding night, my husband wanted to order from room service. It was a little after 10:30pm. We were told that room service was closed for the night--even though all the literature in the room brags about "24 hour dining." That fact was never communicated to us when we checked in.

I feel like the quality of service and amenities are slipping. We later heard something about a lot of employees getting laid off, so maybe that's why people weren't too intersted in providing good service. I don't think if I would recommend that anyone stay at this Fairmont nor will I ever again.

BTW, the spa is great to hang out in, even if you're not doing a massage.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple