“Nice property”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Singapore, Singapore
“Nice property”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

A recent conference I attended was held at this hotel over the weekend and the meeting organizers had obtained a block of rooms. No free wifi was available in the lobby area surprisingly unlike some other hotels I've stayed at in Chicago. The room, however, was more than adequate- the kingsize bed was very very comfortable & I appreciated their Nespresso machine & available coffee blends and tea in the room : ) Good selection of cable TV channels too. The room view was ok with a glimpse of the lake & lighthouse between buildings. The staff were all friendly & helpful.

1 Thank gnom:o)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (599)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
salt Lake City
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I stayed at the Fairmont during a conference that was taking place at another hotel in the area. The hotel was very nice and the decor matched what I would expect from a Fairmont. The Gold Lounge was great and staff there was very friendly. My room had a good view and surprisingly large. My only issue was the cover to the HVAC unit in the room was off when I checked in. I made a call to the front desk and they sent someone to put it back on. Overall nice hotel would happily stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for corner room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Matt L
Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I recently stayed at the Fairmont Chicago Millennium Park hotel for 2 nights. I was attending a meeting which was held at the hotel. I did use the fitness center which was at best adequate. It had the types of machines and various pieces of cario equiptment you would expect to find. There was no bottled water or headphones to use with their TV mounted screens. I did have a drink and some sushi in their restaurant and it was average. The rooms were clean and bed very confortable. Everything was in good working order. There are at least 10 hotels within 2 or 3 blocks of the Fairmont. Room rates can vary greatly between these hotels. I would check websites of other hotels nearby before booking as it can save hundreds of dollars depending on the type of rate or special being offered. That being said, if you get a good rate here I would have no hesitation saying you would have a pleasant stay. Interestly, the rate I was quoted for the convention was $255 per night for a double. I received an E mail offer from Fairmont Hotels 1 week before my trip and was offered $149 per night. I obviously booked the $149, and I will tell you for that rate this was a great value.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed April 11, 2013

It has been years since i stayed here, but my recent visit made me wonder why not. The staff were simply outstanding and the service exceptional. The room had a wonderful view and very nice amenities. The great location to both the park, downtown and the M-mile made this a very convenient local to start walking to the sites of Chicago.

Room Tip: Less street noise as you get to higher floors.
1 Thank DaleB9120
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Spent Easter weekend with the family in Chicago. A lot of fun with Fairmont as a pleasant base. The rooms were comfortable and spacious with a sort of zen like feel, i.e., minimal adornment. They also felt a little dated but in sort of a nice way. In general the hotel was spacious with lots of wood finishings which gave it a pleasant feel. The gym was well equipped and the attached spa looked inviting. We had Easter brunch in the hotel which was great. The staff really seemed to care whether we liked the buffet/food and we left with a really warm feeling. Almost like visiting friends. The door man was also remarkably friendly but the young women at the front desk were on the indifferent side. I liked the location of the hotel. A short walk from Michigan Ave but with a feeling of being slightly removed. It is walking distance from the Chicago Art Institute and the Millennium Station. All in all a pleasant stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank TravellingColoradans
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Stayed here for the start of our Route 66 trip . There was building work going on so there was a little bit of disruption getting in but nothing too major . Hotel was nice and fitted our needs . Would stay here again no problem . Position of the hotel is good too . Having only stayed there from 7pm to the next morning theres not much to say .

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here a few weeks ago for part of our spring break. I took advantage of a great price of $81.75 per night on the Fairmont website after joining their President's Club. The added bonus of being a President's Club member is free internet access (and free health club access as well, although we didn't take advantage of the latter.)

Check in was easy, even on a Saturday evening. A friend dropped us off and the bell staff took our luggage, which was brought up to our room on the 36th floor. We faced directly west and had some nice city views (which are better in the evening than during the day.) The standard rooms are spacious - we had 2 double beds, which were really comfortable. I was a little disappointed we didn't get the long sofa that runs along the length of the window in some of the room pictures on the website. We just had a single chair that fit into the corner. Due to the unseasonably cold weather, we spent more time in the room than originally planned, and the sofa would have been nice. Some of the other furniture in the room was a bit worn, such as the desk. Storage was a bit lacking as well - just one drawer in an bench. Thankfully there is a nice big closet, though we had more folding items than those that need to be hung up.

Bathrooms are a nice size, with separate tub and shower, and a water closet with a door. Noise was a little bit of an issue as we were close to an ice machine. But overall it was bearable. Housekeeping was ok - a few minor issues such as no clean glasses even though it was obvious we had dirtied the others. So I just washed them myself.

We didn't partake in room service as like most big city hotels, the prices were cost prohibitive - why spend $30 for breakfast for one person, when you can walk around the corner to Wildberry and spend the same for 2 people? Didn't dine at Aria either, as the menu was not to our liking (a little too exotic.)

Location of this hotel is just north of Millennium Park. We had theatre tickets for the Cadillac Palace our first night, and despite the cold weather, we were able to walk there and back. There is a really nice Walgreen's at the corner of State and Randolph - a few long blocks away from the hotel. There is a CVS right across the street, though we didn't go there as we picked up what we needed at Walgreen's on the way back from the theatre. I noticed there is a Mariano's grocery store just east of the hotel as well. So several options within walking distance for picking up anything you're missing, or snacks for the room. Location is not ideal for Mag Mile shopping or River North nightlife, at least when it's cold out. If I planned on doing a lot of either, I'd prefer a hotel west of Michigan Avenue and north of the river. On paper something may only be a block or two away, but they are long blocks in the heart of the city.

Again with the cold weather, we missed having a pool to enjoy - I knew this wasn't an option when I booked, but as I made the reservations a few months in advance, I wasn't expecting the weather to still be so cool at the end of March. Live and learn.

Overall, I was pleased with the Fairmont for the price I paid. No major complaints. But I don't know how thrilled I'd be if we paid more for the room - I would certainly book it again if the price was right.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor away from the elevator - the floors are not that big, so a room away from the e...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family