“Great authentic Mexican food”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Cemitas Puebla

Cemitas Puebla
Ranked #1,211 of 9,494 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Spanish
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout
Neighborhood: Northwest Side
Denver, Colorado
“Great authentic Mexican food”
Reviewed November 28, 2011

As we walked into Cemitas Puebla, the owner greeted us and explained all of the "cemitas". If you don't know what something is, just ask and they will tell you. I asked what he recommended and he told me "Atomica". I just rolled with it and it was delicious. It has Milanesa, Carne Enchilada and Jamon (3 meats).

• Visited October 2011

Chicago
“Tastes so good”
Reviewed November 28, 2011

I really liked this place. When you walk in you see pictures of the celebrities and foodies. i.e. Guy Ferreri, Steve Dolinsky. The staff there welcomes you in and asks if its your first time there. They are ready to give suggestions for people that are unsure. I've tried 3 different kinds of cemitas which to me looks like a giant Mexican burger. My favorite kind is the carne asada (steak) All of the ingredients like the Oaxaca Cheese is authentic and not cheap and chewy like some other places. I also tried the tacos arabes which is Arab-Mexican style tacos. I will be coming to this place as long as I'm alive.

• Visited November 2011
San Francisco, California
“Very flavorful tortas - amazing!”
Reviewed November 10, 2011

I love a good taqueria, and when I read about this on Diners, drive in's and dives, I had to try it. I tried the recommended the Milanesa torta and it rocked. The sauce, the pork - everything. The tacos orientales were awesome too. I think I want to go back asap to try the rest of the menu. Great!

Visited November 2011
Vista, California, USA
“A different Mexican food stop”
Reviewed September 21, 2011

Looks like a typical low wend Mexican food shop in the Hispanic section of Chicago. Upon recommendation we went and were very happy with the food and the welcoming atmosphere. If it is your first visit don't be shy about asking what a Cemitas sandwich is. then be sure to listen and choose what sounds best to you. So much flavor and so different from anything you have eaten before.

• Visited September 2011
Toronto
“Great place to find authentic mexican food”
Reviewed August 24, 2010

We decided to try this place after watching it on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. It's pretty much a mom & pop sandwich shop. It's a no frills with great food. The place is not very large. It can probably seat about 30-40 people but most people are in and out relatively quickly. It's located on a main road in a not-so-glamorous area. There is parking directly on the street in front or you can drive into a nearby neighbourhood to park there.

When we first entered, we were greeted by the owner who asked if we saw their restaurant on the show. He made a little speech introducing us to what a cemita is and what they have to offer. This was kinda nice. We ordered 2 Cemita sandwiches and 2 tacos. The Cemitas were large and very flavourful. Ours had porkchops, avocado, chipotle pepper, and Oaxacan cheese. I did find the meet slightly overgrilled but it wasn't a big deal because it still tasted great. However, the tacos were absolutely delicious. It tasted incredibly authentic, similar to some of the tacos we had in Costa Rica. The meat itself is very good, but nothing out of the ordinary I found. What made it taste great was the taco bread that they used. They used some sort of tortilla bread that just made it taste amazing. We also orderd a very yummy cantelope juice. It was new to use and well worth ordering.

I'd definitely come here again the next time I'm in Chicago. Next time though, I will be ordering a lot more than 2 tacos.