“Agree with last reviewer - not the Ritz!”

The Ritz-Carlton, Chicago
Ranked #48 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
Des Moines, Iowa
“Agree with last reviewer - not the Ritz!”
Reviewed December 31, 2010

We are at the hotel right now in suite 2410. This is our last night of 3. We chose this for the Ritz name AND for the convenience of being located so conveniently to the American Girl Store.

We upgraded to a better suite than originally booked, so we can get a great review of the fireworkds on NY's Eve. The suite is VERY nice, but not quite as clean as the Ritz' we have stayed at previously. The last review was spot on regarding the bathroom, definitely not as nice as real Ritz.

The service is definitey not up to Ritz' standards. The staff is not at courteous. We just ate dinner in the bar. For a $148 bill for appetizers for a family of four, the service was VERY slow. Apparently, all staff was being used for the NY's gala. The staff even cut off your path when walking, splitting up a family in a crowd. We are paying an average of 500/night (b/c 3rd night is at a reduced rate). If it wasn't for the view, I would be very annoyed for wasting our money.

p.s. Even in one of the nicest suites in the hotel, they don't fill your ice or leave you bottled water (yet we saw it on the maids' cart

Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
TomSegesta, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Chicago, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your Trip Advisor review! We sincerely appreciate and value your feedback in our continual pursuit to enhance the total guest experience.

We look forward to an opportunity to welcome you back to The Ritz-Carlton Chicago soon!

Tom Segesta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (567)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Indianapolis
Reviewed December 29, 2010

I was surprised at check in to learn this hotel is using the Ritz name but is not affiliated with the Ritz Carlton. Upon checking into my suite - the second nicest room level at this hotel - it was readily apparent why it is not part of the group. None of the typical Ritz amenities were available from the small things like their standard do not disturb signs all of the way to the turn down service with slippers and bed mats. The towels and the one robe were a generic well washed cotton with no logo. The bath room sink bases were made out of painted ply wood. In the master bedroom bath, the stool and shower were in the same room. This room was 6x6 feet at most. It was difficult to enter the shower without tripping over the toilet. The shower handle was out of another century and difficult to turn. Typically at a Ritz, the stool has a separate room and the shower is extremely nice along with a double vanity. The best I could say about our suite is that the carpet was an interesting pattern. At the time we stayed (12/26/10) we could have stayed at the Four Season for $40 more per night. This hotel is ok. It is not a Ritz Carlton and I can't believe the reviews on this site don't reflect this. The only thing I can think of is most of the travelers have never stayed at a Ritz before. But hey, they did have cotton balls and qtips so the stay was amazing right? And since the Four Seasons is managing it, aren't they smart to destroy the Ritz Carlton name in Chicago.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
HJoselyn, Director of Rooms at The Ritz-Carlton, Chicago, responded to this review, January 11, 2011
Dear indytraveler23,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We appreciate any guest feedback we receive, and from this we are continually able to improve our services and product. It is of course with great concern that I have learned that we did not meet your expectations on more than one account and can appreciate the inconvenience this caused you during your stay with us. I welcome you to contact me directly at 312-573-5140 or michael.nenner@fourseasons.com so that we may speak in greater depth about your experience and how we can improve. I hope we will have the opportunity to restore your confidence and exceed your expectations on a future stay. I look forward to personally welcoming you back.

Michael Nenner
Orange, California
Reviewed December 21, 2010

Had great stays at FS and Park Hyatt on previous trips, but thought I'd give Ritz Carton a try. Excellent service - truly helpful. the lobby/ bar/ tea area is a great open space for meeting vs FS, but not the view of the Hyatt. Nice gym with good amenities and staff, but not as nice as FS gym. Was a little skeptical based on some reviews, but was glad I stayed here and will do again.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business

Rock Island, Illinois
Reviewed December 10, 2010

I recently stayed here with my grown daughter over the Thanksgiving. The staff was warm, welcoming, and helpful.
The executive suite was fine for two women since instead of a luxury bath, one had two bathrooms which was great for two women getting ready to go out.
The location was superb since it was connected with the Water Tower for convenient shopping without having to wear a coat.
My only complaint was we were unable to get a reservation for tea. Since this is such a popular hotel for tea, perhaps informing the client upon reservations for a room that if you wanted to get tea on Black Friday,make that reservation with the room reservation.
The other hotel on this level that I have stayed at in Chicago was the Peninsula. The Ritz Calton won easily with their staff. The Peninsula's staff was snooty and unhelpfu. The suite might have been larger at the Peninsula, but shabbier. The rate was higher at the Peninsula. The Ritz Carlton was offering three nights for the cost of two.
Oh and the bed linens and the towels were the softest I have ever had and the beds were extremely comfortable.
The housekeeper was most accomodating.
All in all a most excellent stay.
All in all a most pleasant stay.

• Stayed November 2010
TomSegesta, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Chicago, responded to this review, April 26, 2014

New York City, New York
Reviewed December 6, 2010

I have stayed at The Ritz-Carlton Chicago twice now & both times had a very nice stay, but compared with other Four Seasons properties in the US, the service could be more polished, but is still good. The location is amazing, near El Stops, tons of shopping, a small park, the lake, etc.... I arrived on 3 December 2010 for 1 night. I arrived very early, around 9:30am, & my room wasn't quite ready. Within 25 minutes, someone called me & confirmed my room was ready for arrival, which was really nice! Mark, the doorman was very nice upon arrival, as was Christine at the Front Desk...she was incredibly polite, warm & welcome me back & quickly stored my bags. There was a long que at the desk, but 2 people came out & said someone would be with us shortly. Indeed they were. (I'm not sure who these people were saying this to us, but one appeared to be a trainee & other other guy disappeared to the back, but both were kind). My room #2411, had a great view, partially of the lake as well as the Water tower & Michigan ave. The beds are insanely comfortable...seriously the best hotel bed I've ever slept on:), the desk is roomy, & the tub in the bathroom is fairly deep. The tub & shower were together, & the water pressure was a bit slow to fill the tub, but nothing serious. As with all FS hotels, the bathroom was stocked with L'occtiane products, hairdryer, q-tips (which were incredibly soft, unlike some hotels with blunt ends that are incredibly uncomfortable to use!), robes, soft towels, etc. What I like most about this hotel are the rooms.....they are so quite & comfortable, even the carpeting is super soft, the TV reception is crystal clear, you don't hear doors slamming, turndown is provided without asking, etc... The Room Service Food is also amazing here!!!! I ordered both Dinner & Breakfast & the food each time was perfect. The Chicken Club Sandwich & Lemon Tart are both incredible! :) Additional requests are always granted, which is very nice. However, my breakfast order was really slow. To be fair, my order taker told me they were very busy & my order would take 55 minutes if not sooner. However it took about 1 hr & 25 minutes to arrive & my order was missing 2 requests. the items were brought back very quickly & my server was very apologetic...the food was hot & very good! Onto the service.....while Christine, Sean & Abby at the Front Desk are all very kind & warm, I feel the Concierges at this property are not very nice or welcoming......this has been my feeling on both stays. I never ask them many questions as I'm familiar with Chicago, but the times I have, they seem a little rude, & not enthusiastic or engaging at ALL!!! I saw them deal with other guests (at one point, a lady told a guest one moment someone will be with you soon & she went back to her computer screen to type....it was really rude & I have never seen this occur at a Four Seasons) & they all just seem the same.....it's really strange, b/c they all have Les Clefs'dor status for the most part, which is an honor among Concierges. I'M NOT GOING TO name the Concierges I saw being less than friendly, but maybe it's b/c it's a Union property & these guys have worked there forever & are just not warm anymore......just something to note if you're going to need Concierge assistance while visiting! Front Desk service was awesome on both stays, so go to them if you need assistance:) I will continue to stay here, as the lobby is lovely & spacious, the rooms & cuisine are great & the front desk is lovely.

Best,
Patrick Winkler
New York, NY US

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed November 27, 2010

Visited Chicago for some Christmas shopping and this was our base for three nights. It was simply beautiful, one of the nicest city center hotels I have ever stayed in. Very plush and luxurious. Our room was small enough but we had an amazing view and large windows. The bed was incredibly comfortable, and there was adequate space in the room for my purchases... just!

Breakfast was divine, out of this world, wonderful service. All the frills you'd expect from a hotel like this. We had food there another evening and that was gorgeous too.

Fantastic location for exploring Chicago and a stone's throw from Michigan Avenue and all the shops that line it.

I would definitely recommend, and would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Kanazawa, Japan
Reviewed November 24, 2010

Clean and comfortable room.
Good location and good staffs.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business