The Palmer House is an historic hotel located in the center of the downtown loop area. It is a block from the art museum, park on the lake and very close to most major downtown theatres, greek town, and the Golden Mile. It is a grand beautiful old hotel with a magnificent lobby. The service is fantastic. Philippe at the concierge desk couldn’t have been more helpful, and my check in attendant was equally wonderful. The rooms could use upgrading to join the rest of the hotels in the 21st century, like flat screen tv's and wireless telephones.
The room was great. Although, I must say, in our party of three, the sizes of the rooms varies, so ask for a big room. One of our party was in a room so small they could barely get their suitcase in, but my room was huge, with a hallway to the bathroom. As a Hilton Honors member, I received free internet discounted gym entrance and the opportunity to partake of the free breakfast and happy hour snacks every day. I am HH Gold.
The room was nicely decorated and the bed was very comfortable. The TV is not even a flat screen old style. It is a relic, and sat far from my bed, making it tough to see. There was no coffee maker, but they are available upon request. The room safe was big enough for the largest of computers. There are very nice amenities in the bathroom. Water pressure was perfect and the water was hot.
The downside of this hotel is the extra charge situation. Everything costs extra. There is no mini-bar because they want you to order from room service. Coffee is $8 plus $2 delivery charge and 21% service charge, plus tax. The gym is $10, internet starts at $14.99 for a few hours and $19.99 for a day. A scotch in the bar was $17 with tax and tip. There are plenty of places to eat in the neighborhood like Au Bon Pain which has a great lunch. You can watch your favorite TV show if you missed its initial run for $4.99 and movies are available at a much higher cost.
I highly recommend the Palmer House Hilton. It’s a wonderful old hotel, just watch your wallet!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- North America’s most established hotel, the Palmer House Hilton first opened its doors in 1871 and has remained the place to "see and be seen" in downtown Chicago. We continue evolving to serve you with the latest conveniences and comforts in meetings, accommodations and dining - a hip and historic blend of modern nuances and Chicago cultural significance. Whether you’re holding a gala in the famed Empire Room or an intimate gathering in one of our hospitality suites, your event is sure to be a success. Here, you’ll be the host in the Chicago hotel that’s been the venue of choice for celebrities, politicians, and royalty for more than a century.When you come to the Palmer House Hilton, you don’t just stay here. You live here—even if it’s only for a night. That’s why all of our guest rooms and suites have just the right touches to make you feel right at home. You’ll sleep well on our Hilton Serenity Dream bed featuring a plush top mattress and crisp linens, lathering up with Peter Thomas Roth bath products, perceptual service and a full host of amenities to keeping you connected – from flat screen HD televisions, wired and wireless high-speed internet to alarm clocks with auxiliary ports, you’ll find everything you need to rest easy. Lockwood Restaurant, your Farm to Fork, AAA 4 Diamond destination open for breakfast, lunch and dinner as well as afternoon tea. The Lobby Bar at Lockwood is a favorite for locals and travelers alike for craft beers and craft cocktails with Palmer House private reserves and labels. Potter’s is the hip spot to enjoy a retro mix of perfectly poured libations and delectable light fare while reminiscing about the hotel’s history. The hotel is walking distance to the Blue Line and the Orange Line “L” stations for quick transport to O’Hare International Airport and Midway Airport, respectively. The Palmer House Hilton is steps to all the action along State Street including Macy’s, Nordstrom Rack, American Apparel, H&M, Block 37 Mall and the Chicago Theatre. The hotel is also a short walk to The Art Institute, Joffrey Ballet, Cadillac Theatre, Jeweler’s Row, Millennium Park, John G. Shedd Aquarium, Field Museum and Adler Planetarium. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hilton Hotels Direct, Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, HotelsforEveryone, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your Palmer House A Hilton Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Palmer House Hilton Hotel Chicago
- Hilton Hotel Chicago
- Hilton Hotel Palmer
- Palmer House Chicago
- Chicago Palmer House Hilton
- Palmer House Hilton Chicago
- Palmer Hilton House
- Hilton Chicago
- Chicago Hilton