“Great stay in Chicago”

GreenLeadersBronze level
kansas city
“Great stay in Chicago”
Reviewed September 23, 2007

After reading other reviews I was a little worried about what kind of room I would get. We got a fantastic rate on Priceline.com. When we arrived the bell-hop took our bags for us. There was only a 8 dollar differnce to Valet or self park. So we chose Valet. Check in was prompt and we received a room on the 10th floor. The room was renovated and just perfect. We got a great hotel and a great location.

Stayed September 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,749)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Indiana
Reviewed September 21, 2007

The Palmer House Hilton is located in the heart of downtown Chicago. This hotel has a great location and is within walking distance to shopping and dining. The rooms however are very disappointing. My husband and I were celebrating our one year wedding anniversary so we were looking for a romantic getaway for the weekend. Walking in to the Palmer house, the lobby area is very nice and the staff was pleasant. You can tell that this was an old building that was going through some updating. At check in the clerk advised that our room had recently been remodeled and we were given our room key and headed to the 12th floor. Walking into our room was very disappointing. It was very very small and we had no view. In fact, my husband and I had to look up and find the sky to even tell if it was day light or not. The room did have updated features such as a nice modern sink but the curtains and bedding were strangely designed with black and green colors. The worst part of our stay was being woke up each morning to the annoying sound of squeaky pipes. I was so looking forward to sleeping in both mornings but the pipes kept me from doing that. Other than that the bed was comfortable and the hotel staff was very friendly. My husband and I received a very good rate using priceline.com so I guess beggars can't be chooser. If I had the choice, however, I would not stay at the palmer House Hilton in Chicago.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The decor of the rooms
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
Fort Wayne IN
Reviewed September 17, 2007

Hilton is my preferred hotel chain wherever I travel and the Palmer House Hilton used to be my favourite hotel when I visit Chicago two or three times a year. I had not chosen to stay at the Palmer House for my last few visits, but this time I received my room highly discounted through a blind booking service.

The location is ideal, within walking distance to many tourist destinations and there is a red line stop right outside. The hotel really is awe-inspiringly beautiful, and offers modernly appointed, very clean rooms with amazingly comfortable beds and linens. There are great restaurant choices all around the block, and discounted self parking directly across the street.

And while those good points have not changed, there is now a glaring and growing fault. The guest service has been on a downward slide for the past few years and this visit did nothing to encourage me that there is a positive change on the horizon. On a previous visit (two years ago) I had a very unpleasant encounter with a concierge, but dismissed it as an isolated exchange, until my next visit (six mos later) when the representative checking me out was more interested in placing his coffee order than completing my transaction. On my most recent visit I was blatantly ignored by the person working the HH members desk when I attempted to check in. I stood in front of him for no less than five minutes while he continued to silently stare ahead at a monitor. I was in no hurry and could have waited longer, but he didn't acknowledge me at all, so I went to the reception desk. Doug, the representative that registered me, was wonderful. He was professional, friendly, welcoming and even upgraded my room. When I returned later to thank him, I believe he genuinely remembered me, and if he didn't, it speaks well to his aptitude that I thought so anyway! Unfortunately, even his adroitness wasn't enough to change my opinion, as excellent customer service at a four star hotel should be the rule, not the exception.

Overall, there are many other comparable hotel choices in the Loop/Mile for the same money that offer a consitently higher level of customer service.

• Liked — great location
  • Disliked — customer service
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
San Jose, California
Reviewed September 16, 2007

- Went with my inlaws to Chicago and stayed at the Palmer house. I had seen it on Great Hotels and was interested in seeing it in person, sadly, a lot of renovations were occuring at the time.
+ The location of the Hotel was very convenient to the Art Institute, subway/L, buses, Millenium Park, etc. Views from our window was nice, over looking parts of the city.
- Staff was nice and fairly quick, though there were some language problems at the desk. I woould suggest that the hotel keep a native english speaker at the front desk to handle possible language problems. The same problem also appeared at the concierge desk on the executive level.
- The room had a nice comfortable desk but the lack of easy clothing storage made unpacking problematic. If you are only spending a night or two, the drawers provided (little more than desk drawers) would be sufficent but wee stayed there 5 nights.
- Food on the concierge level was ok to mediocre but relatively plentiful. Coffee was basically an embarassment, they should at least have fresh brewed on the concierge level and instead they had a liquid reconstitution device used. Go to the Cornor Cafe instead.

• Liked — The comfortable beds, nice service
  • Disliked — No dresser, expensive commodites/internet
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
Alaska
Reviewed September 12, 2007

For $200 a night we had a tiny room and no hot water when we showered, unless we were content with a dribble, and I mean a tiny dribble. The view was of other rooms and a building. We could have stayed many other places with less "panache" in the meeting rooms and lobby and been more comfortable. I wrote them about the water pressure and they offered a free night stay: only at the Palmer House, only for me! Living in Alaska, I don't go to Chicago that often if again! So, I'll just take Hilton off the list of chains to consider.

Stayed June 2007
Pittsburgh
Reviewed September 11, 2007

We had a pleasant stay at the Palmer House HIlton despite some of the comments. The lobby and Emerald Room are gorgeously rennovated. We stayed on the 11th floor and had no problems with getting an elevator. Our room was decorated nicely with four pillows and a long roll pillow. The beds are ultra-comfy...good night sleep here. It was slightly smaller than some hotels but it was newly rennovated and charming. The bath fixtures were not replaced even though the bathroom was redone. Water pressure was much lower than what I expect in a hotel. Wonderful Crabtree and Evelyn toiletries were supplied. Wonderful Lavazza coffee was left in the room. Best brew I've ever had for hotel room coffee. The staff was lovely and helpful. There is a kiosk where you can check in your flights and printer available and a kiosk where you can find local nightlife, restaurants and activities with a printer as well. Have a famous Palmer House brownie in the restaurant or to go..they are delicious. Great location, would return here again.

• Liked — Comfy beds, Crabtree and Evelyn products, lavazza coffe
  • Disliked — Low water pressure, older fixtures
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed September 9, 2007

I can understand being disappointed in this hotel if you pay rack rate for it...however, if you don't (we paid 100/night), it's really a pretty great place. The lobby is gorgeous....but the bar is nuttily overpriced (like everything else in the hotel). We stayed on the 18th floor (I don't think the room was renovated, I'm not sure, the bathroom fixtures didn't look new though), and had no problem with noise whatsoever, and I slept in (past 9AM!). The room was spotless, quite large (although it seems rooms must vary greatly in size...the one we had at least 3 feet between the end of hte bed and the beginning of the TV, and a little sitting area with two chairs and a small table, as well as a desk and a small hallway entryway.) The bathroom was a bit small, but okay...water pressure and temperature was fine. The toiletries, as stated previously, were very nice. Spacious closet as well. There was a nice alarm clock you could hook your mp3 player up to, which I appreciated. The bed was extremely comfortable. I actually think it was better than my bed at home!
Also, checking in and talking to the concierge was a pleasant experience, I did not have the problems some others did with rude staff. Actually, maids in the hallway would say hello when I passed by, and everyone seemed quite friendly. So clearly they have worked on this problem.
Problems with the hotel:
this is not just true of the Palmer, but I don't understand the concept in hotel management that states that the nicer the hotel, the more they charge you for everything. If Red Roof Inn can give me free wireless internet access in my room, why the heck can't the hilton? Instead it costs 12.95 for 24 hours. Same thing with the fitness room. It really seems ridiculous to charge 11 bucks a day if you want to work out. I guess they want it to stay less busy, but it just seems silly to get nickel and dimed when you stay at a 4 or 5 star hotel! Isn't the point of staying at one that you get better service, not worse?
The elevator was VERY slow! Especially if you are trying to use it during prime check in/check out hours, it really takes a while to get on the elevator.

This hotel is very convenient to everything in Chicago and makes it possible to not set foot in your car for the duration of your stay (there is an el stop right outside the hotel). It is a block from the Art Institute and millenium park, so it's great!
Recommendations: have breakfast at the Corner cafe right downstairs from the hotel - it's relatively cheap and good.
There is a CVS convenience store right across the street, so don't pay for the 4 dollar water in your room!

• Liked — Location and bed
  • Disliked — nickel and diming!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business