10,309 results
All reviews executive level empire room lockwood restaurant beautiful lobby beautiful hotel art institute the loop classic hotel street level millennium park lobby bar a hilton honors member rooms are small an older hotel two double beds downtown chicago fitness center
Reviewed October 15, 2018

This is the third time I review this hotel. Once again, excellent. This time we were upgraded to the executive floor and it was fantastic, breakfast included. There are not many options and it's always the same food but we appreciated everything.Although we had an issue with the full size bed (booked one double bed) because, in my opinion it's too small for two people to sleep comfortably. The mattress and pillows help since they are so comfy... but still too small.We Loved the Executive Floor Elevator since the other ones are soooo slow!!

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank GabrielaCh
AlhajiA8, Manager at Palmer House A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2018

Hello GabrielaCh,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Palmer House! We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed experiencing the atmosphere of our historic hotel. We specialize in outstanding customer service and our goal is an all-around positive guest experience.

We are thrilled to have had the opportunity to welcome you for a third time. Thank you for taking the time to describe your stay in such detail and for providing helpful tips to potential future guests of our property.

It is always a great feeling for our team whenever our guests return to our hotel for another dose of the antiquity within our walls. We truly hope to see you again at the Palmer House!

Reviewed October 14, 2018

Of course, this is one of those grand-dame hotels, like the Waldorf in NYC, or the old William Penn Inn in Pittsburgh. And its beautiful in its way, large spacious, impressive lobby with ornamental and filigree work painted into the walls and high ceiling above. The halls on the room floors are decorated with headshots and of-that-era photos of great, old (and generally deceased) legends who, I assume performed there in a bygone era -- Jack Benny, Ella, Allen King, etc.
But this only takes you so far. After that, the cramped rooms (with king bed) are drab. The tiny bathroom features a few old, thin, harsh towels, and is not well lit. The shower still has that outdated shower curtain rod that is straight and not curved--so with the water running the curtain lifts up to cling to your body.
There is no room service anymore. That compounds the lack of any coffee or coffee-maker in the room. Stiff foam pillows. Dated room furnishings and drapes etc.
TO the owner/investor/management company: quit sucking the last dime out of this place, invest $20--$25M and restore this old gal to its proper level. Then upgrade the service. Unless/until that happens, I will not return.

• Trip type: Traveled on business
2  Thank CLF422

Hello CLF422,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Palmer House! We truly apologize that you did not receive the typical Palmer House experience during your visit. We specialize in outstanding customer service and we are saddened to hear that we missed the mark.

We never want any guest to feel as if our first mission is not to provide a high level of service throughout their stay. Rest assured, your comments will be a crucial factor for our team as we continuously search for ways to improve our service.

We understand that you have many options in the city of Chicago but it is always a pleasing feeling whenever our guests return to our hotel for another dose of the antiquity within our walls. We truly hope to see you again at the Palmer House!

Reviewed October 14, 2018

very close to the art institute-- duvet -- nice bed--tiny washroom--large sitting area
good starbucks-- excellent concierge--- fine restaurant-- quite fancy furnishings

no coffee maker--- valet parking

• Trip type: Traveled with friends

Hello vivihill,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Palmer House. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed experiencing the atmosphere of our historic hotel. Not only do we appreciate hearing from you, but we know that other users will truly find your comments helpful in making their decision to stay with us!

It is always a pleasing feeling whenever our guests return to our hotel for another dose of the antiquity within our walls. We look forward to another opportunity to showcase our exceptional customer service to you during a future stay!

Reviewed October 14, 2018

This hotel is very well maintained with a lot of history. We had a corner room with windows on both sides that let a lot of light in and was so glad we could open them. The room is kinda small but not to bad. I would have liked to have a coffee maker and refrigerator in the room. The fridge in the room was full of for sale items.
The staff was pleasant. You have to be patient with the slow elevators. Great location!

Room tip: Corner room had two windows
Trip type: Traveled on business

Hello Kay C,

Reviewed October 14, 2018

I have stayed here before, and it is still a nice, older hotel. But on this trip, the hotel let me down.

I arrived to find pickets at the entrance. Beating drums, shouting through bullhorns...

And when I checked in, the front desk clerk handed me a sheet that said that, due to the strike, there was no room service, the executive lounge was closed, etc.

I had a very important meeting on Monday morning, and as I wrote the hotel G.M. in a letter, I stay in a full-service hotel in a situation like this so I can eat in my room and have an extra hour to prepare.

Strikes happen, but I would expect the hotel to email people with reservations IN ADVANCE in update them on the situation. This strike had been going on for three weeks prior to my arrival.

If I had known what was going on at the Palmer House, I could have stayed at a Hampton or Courtyard and saved some money!

Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
1  Thank Smudgecats

Hello Smudgecats,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Palmer House! I want to begin by offering my sincerest apologies to you for the issues you experienced during your time at our property. We understand that the state of operations at our hotel had a negative impact on your stay. I can assure you that our team remains focused on providing the exceptional customer service that Palmer House guests expect and deserve. As usual, our mission is to use the comments you provided to ensure that you notice the service improvement during your next stay with us.

Our primary goal is guest satisfaction and we are privileged to have a resilient team who is always up for the challenge to service our guests. We look forward to a future opportunity to show you what customer service looks like through the eyes of the Palmer House.