“Beautiful old hotel”

Palmer House A Hilton Hotel
Ranked #103 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 3, 2006

I've seen a few reviews here that the rooms were small. I must have had the exception because my room was a massive corner room. Two closets, tons of floor space, I could have easily fit 10 people in there for a small gathering. The bathroom was spacious and clean. The cleaning service was meticulous and they came at the same time each day, so I knew when to be out of there and when I could come back. I came back early by accident one day and actually saw the person cleaning my room wiping down the door frame. I've never seen that level of attention before.

As I was there for a conference, I was in many of the various meeting spaces and ballrooms. The meeting space was average and the staff was very helpful. The ballrooms, however, were another story. The artwork and detail was spectacular! Richly appointed and just lovely. The upkeep on those rooms alone must be outrageous.

Overall, a wonderful hotel.

4  Thank xten1979

A TripAdvisor Member
Elkhart, Indiana
Reviewed March 29, 2006

This is one of the oldest hotels in the Chicago area. It has elegance and charm, from the moment you walk into the large lobby with the muriel on the ceiling you know you are in for a wonderful experience. From the gentlemen in distinct dress on the curb there to park your car, to the friendly people behind the reception counters you know you can relax! There are beautiful rooms and friendly service. There are reataurants on site and nearby pubs. Within walking distance is the theatre district, fine dining, and every type of store you can imagine. I have stayed at this hotel three times in the last four years and my husband and I always choose this hotel. We do not go to Chicago if the hotel is not available. I am a travel agent and we travel a lot and I would recommend this hotel to anyone going to Chicago on business or pleasure!!!

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 20, 2006

Okay, I know that it all depend on what room you're given. But no 4/5 star hotel should even have room as horrible as the room I was given on recent stay. Small bathroom with a cracked dirty tub, nasty curtains, dirty rugs. I found out that later that you could upgrade for around $50 but there should be some basic level for all rooms, epsecially for those of us who think we've given this dump enough money already.
The plus side is that it has the best lobby in Chicago. And during our stay, they were several wedding, which made the setting even more grand!

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled on business
3  Thank Dedra28
Reviewed March 18, 2006

The rooms were very small, as others have expressed, however, this must be expected of any hotel built prior to the turn of the century. The king-sized bed was wonderfully-soft, and the sheets were very comfortable. The room was impecably clean. The $3 bottles of water in the room were insulting to my sense of value and reason.

The hotel bar was expensive, but well-done with chipper service and high-definition televisions. However, $27 for 3 drinks is excessive, even for this part of town.

Parking at the hotel was convenient and seemed safe. Be prepared to spend $25 per night to park. Make sure you pay for your parking at the hotel, not at the garage. There is a special rate for Palmer House guests.

The concierge was helpful. We asked for directions to the Field Museum and they were able to provide us with a sheet that suggested several different modes of transportation.

The hotel lobby is a true work of art. The colonnades and beautifully painted ceiling are worth the price of admission. Sadly, the lobby was overtaken by squirlly, misbehaved children during the middle of the day who seemed to run around unabated and unconscious of other hotel guests.

Overall, the hotel was great, and everything we expected. I was able to get a fantastic rate using priceline on a Friday night. Expect to pay a little extra for everything at and around the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2006
4  Thank Illiniwek80
Reviewed March 15, 2006

Hotel has a very nice lobby. I stayed on the 21st floor and had a great view......of the next wing!

Room was small with little space to move around.

Want a drink???? Be prepared to fork out $8.50 + tax + tip for a 22 ounce Sam Adams draft.

Room Service for breakfast??? $24.00 + service charges + tax will get you a hot breakfast.

15 mins access to Business Centre is $4.95 + tax.

Hotel was okay, but, nothing to rave about.

3  Thank Scouse-Express
Reviewed March 14, 2006

We booked the Palmer House through Hotwire.

Paid very little. Upon our arrival we were given a room on the 15th floor. It had a "double" bed. It was probably six inches wider than a twin. The room was very small but this was to be expected as this hotel was constructed in the late 1800's.

Second and Third night we paid 45 bucks and were upgraded to the Executive Floor. WORTH EVERY PENNY!

It had tasty breakfast and nice snacks at night. These would have cost a small fortune if ordered from Room Service. (Avoid Room Service here at all costs. A Shrimp Cocktail is 17 dollars !)

The exec floor also had a different key that allowed you to use the express elevators that cut a lot of time off of your trip to the rooms.

The concierge was lukewarm at best. Inconsistent, but if you had the Chief Concierge on your side, you are golden. I watched him duke it out with a service provider and was duly impressed.

I would only stay here again in an upgraded room. The standard room is smaller than a dorm room and a bit cramped.

• Stayed: March 2006
6  Thank AJK1535
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 14, 2006

What I liked best about this hotel was that it was within walking distance to the Art Museum, Millenium Park, and Mag Mile. As we entered from the street level taking the escalator up, I was very impressed at the fresco's on the ceiling. It def. gave that old yet opulant hotel feeling. But the rooms were another thing. They needed to be updated. I was staying at another hotel on the Mag Mile prior to the Palmer House and they did a better job at restoring it. I was there for a convention and my company was paying for the hotel, so I limited the complaints. My room got quite noisy when the 'L' passed by, and the ventilation and air in my room got a little stale, so I was stuck with either the noise of the train or the staleness in the air when I went to sleep. In comparison to the Intercontinental (where I was just coming from on the Mag. mile), I would stay there instead and again.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member