“Got a great room -- even with Hotwire!”

The Palmer House Hilton
Ranked #98 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Carol Stream, IL
“Got a great room -- even with Hotwire!”
Reviewed June 25, 2009

I had booked my hotel stay with Hotwire, and I was a little nervous after reading the reviews of others who had used Hotwire or Priceline. However, we were given a lovely, recently renovated room. The room (including the bathroom) was done in a very nice Art Deco style. It was a bit small; the room had one queen bed (a king would have never fit in there). Whoever designed the room made great use of the available space. The only time the room size was an issue was getting ready in the morning. There wasn't enough space for my husband and I to be in the bathroom at the same time.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,771)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 24, 2009

I moved from the Doubletree (same brand) to the Hilton during a 2 week stay and the only thing I can say is that the Palmerhouse Hilton brand rooms were half the size of the Doubletree. However, for my trip the Hilton was better located to where I was working which was great.

The rooms had good style to them but I must say one thing that really bugged me was that there was no WIFI so I had to plug into the desk. At night I like to be able to sit in bed and do things on my laptop and the cord would not reach to the bed, so I could only use the computer at the desk. OK, but you just get used to having WIFI at most business hotels. And the cost was a bit much in my mind for internet. I usually expect it for free, but up to $20.00 a day is a bit of a ripoff in my mind.

The bathrooms were very stylish and the overall hotel is well-styled, especially the lobby. The concierge were very helpful with bags and restaurant advice. All in all good hotel and would stay again but would hope that management take these recommendations to heart, as I'm sure they are common complaints.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Greater Cleveland
Reviewed June 24, 2009

The lobby of this hotel is historical and beautiful. It's not really a high-class hotel though. The rooms are far from high class. The carpet is dingy and old-looking. The room did not have a coffee maker. I don't think I have ever stayed in a hotel that had a coffee maker. This hotel does have a Starbucks as many hotels do of this type. The rooms are also small. There is little room between the beds and the tv and the bathrooms are small. You wouldn't be able to close the bathroom door if you were sitting on the toilet. You would have to get up so your knees would not hit the door. There was no room to put anything in the bathroom. The bathroom door had peeling paint. The lobby had a lot of people and the ceiling was beautiful. I booked this through hotwire at $79/night ($189.30 with taxes and fees for 2 nights). I asked for a room with two double beds and they said no such rooms were available. They asked if I wanted a rollaway bed for $35/night, and I declined. As with most hotels in Chicago, parking is very expensive, so if you drive in, call some places around and you can get overnight parking at less than half the price of the hotel. The Millenium Park garage is nearby and is much cheaper. The room had virtually no view other than being able to see part of the Jersey Boys sign from a theater.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
chicagoland
Reviewed June 24, 2009

I was on a getaway with my 12yr old daughter...Palmer House was a wonderful spot. We were walking distance to the theater and we enjoyed roller blading on Lakeshore...great restuarants around and close to the train,,,would stay again in a heartbeat

Stayed June 2009
Valparaiso
Reviewed June 24, 2009

We checked in at 8pm, waited in line for a half hour - obviously due to the shorted staff. By 9pm we were in our room (handicapped, but smoking). The wall paper was peeling off the walls and the showerhead was coated with lime. We ordered a pizza from the room, costing $1.50 to use the hotel phone, waited an hour and it never came. By 10 pm, we were exhausted from traveling and starving so we ordered room service and paid $50, twice, for our meal -- 2 cheeseburgers at $12 a piece including a rediculously high gratuity -- AFTER we had spoken with a hotel associate, making it very clear to him that we were going to pay for our room service with cash at check out and not to charge our credit card; he assured me our meal would not be charged to our credit card. Our burgers were ordered a medium well -- they arrived cold and cooked rare, my fiance woke in the morning, spending an hour in the bathroom with a stomach ache. Four days later, our checking account is overdrawn because the hotel withdrew $50 for our disgusting cheeseburgers -- after I had specifically discussed with the hotel associate not to charge our account. At 2am the smoking alarms went off in our room, ripping my fiance and I from our sleep; two and a half hours later, we were awoken again to the sounds of loud screaming and banging on walls and banging through the floor beneath us -- this went on until 6am. When we called the front desk, nobody answered the first two times and then I was placed on hold for 10 minutes. We were not impressed by our stay and were so happy to leave; we finally got a good night's rest at the Marriott in Burr Ridge, Ill. I will never return to the Palmer House again -- I have traveled all over this country and many times to Europe and the Palmer House was the most wretched and stressful stay in a hotel I have ever experienced.

1 Thank NataliaHope
chicagoland
Reviewed June 22, 2009

Met all of our needs and aimed to cater to us. We paid around $200 for 2 adjoining rooms and valet parking. The hotel was gorgeous and absolutely great service at every corner. I would recommend taking a walk around the area to see all of the great attractions and restaurants. We walked to Millenium Park with 2 small children and they played in the water, and Jersey Boys was playing a block away from the hotel. Room service even brought us up placesettings for us to eat carry out in our room at no charge. The rooms were luxurious and spacious. There was even a Starbucks in the hotel. I would love to stay there again, everyone was so nice and helpful! The best hotel we've stayed in.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
madison wi
Reviewed June 22, 2009

we were at the palmer house this weekend. we called ahead and asked for a quiet king room. check-in was easy and we did indeed get a quiet king room. we paid $80 through hotwire a night, which is a difficult price to find for a hotel downtown. yes, the room was small-ish and yes, you could easily hear people's conversation as they walked down the hall - although we couldn't hear people in the rooms next to us. the bed was comfortable. you really can't beat the location, it is steps away from the El and the red line, not to mention millenium park and the art institute. it is not a newly constructed hotel and that is part of its charm - it is a historic hotel.