“Historic property at the center of the city”

Palmer House A Hilton Hotel
Ranked #102 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 9, 2014

The Palmer House has rooms with all the latest comforts, while retaining the gorgeous details of its original lobby. There is a great atmosphere through out the hotel. The hotel is located 2 blocks from the Art Institute, the Cloud Gate sculpture and Millennium park. Its a short cab rise to the trendy South Loop area, and of course at the south end of the Magnificent Mile. Hard to find a nicer place to stay. Some notes: rooms are small, bathrooms very small, lobby wi-fi slow.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (9,466)

Reviewed July 9, 2014

I asked for one thing when I booked the room, a view. When I arrived They could not even check me into a room as they said they had none available, the couple checking in next to us (were behind us in line) received no hassle and were checked into the same room type as we were supposed to get. we were even Hilton honors members. after some arguing with the staff they magically found us a room. The room faced an alleyway, no view. we asked them to send our luggage up to our room and let them know we were in a hurry to get to a wedding due to the delay with check in. The bell service called 20min. later, and then another 20 min. to actually arrive at our room. We had aproximatly 20 min to get ready for a wedding. My wife was so rushed that she didn't have time to do her hair, which is a big deal for a woman going to a wedding. the next day we had some noisy neighbors and called down to see if they could find us another room, which they could not. we left the room to sight see and hoped that the neighbors would quiet down. when we left we talked with the maid and told her we did not need service, she did insist that we take some fresh towels. very nice. later my wife returned to take a nap, during which time the house keeping entered without knocking even though the privacy please sign was hung on the door. another call during her nap was from the front desk asking why she was in the room as their records stated that there should not be anyone in the room. finally we ran out of toilet paper and there was not a spare roll anywhere. Just wanted a little peace and quite in a fancy hotel, didn't get it.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
npyles, Manager at Palmer House A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2014

We apologize that your experience at our hotel is one that you would like to forget. We are saddened by the experience that you had while staying with us. We appreciate the feedback and will use your experiences at our hotel and with our staff for training and coaching with our team in an effort to help prevent the same problems from occurring with future guests that choose to stay with us.

Nick

Reviewed July 8, 2014

My wife and I spend the long Independence weekend at the Palmer House Hilton. The hotel is located rather next to the Millennium Park and in good walking distance to all attractions. The hotel personal is helpful and friendly (despite some guys at the entrance, who were not able or willing to reply to “hello’ or “good morning”.
The restaurants have reasonable prices, good food and a pleasing location.
Anyhow, the room are not only old fashioned, they are outstanding fuddy-duddy and dark. The bathroom has a small shower with almost no protection against splashy water – resulting in a sort of flood everywhere. The beds are old and the mattresses dirty – in this case resulting in waking up with red eyes and a congested nose. This made our stay more than unpleasant and we cannot recommend this hotel in the actual fabric.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Ishawa S, Manager at Palmer House A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

I’m sad to hear that you did not have a pleasant experience while being a guest of ours. I’m also sad to hear that an employee did not greet you at the main door. Our doormen try to greet every guest as they enter or exit the building. Even if they are busy, their dedication to customer service usually shines bright. We try to greet our guests several times asthey enter and exit the hotel, pass through the Lobby or simply walking the hallways of the building.

I wish that I could have gotten the opportunity to meet and speak to you while you were here. Judging by your comments it seems that a shower curtain was not in your room when you showered. I would have loved the opportunity to see where our flaw was in assigning you this room and to have been given the chance to fix it with what sound like a simple solution. We have a property operations staff 24hrs a day that can make the room more comfortable for you, even if its changing the lights in the room.

Speaking of comfort, we have just recently replaced all of the mattresses in the hotel but it seems like one is not up to standard. You feedback will help us identify problem areas/rooms that need extra attention.

Thank you as you have helped us greatly.

Reviewed July 8, 2014

OK, let’s get the bad out of the way – there IS a lot of good for the Palmer; read on.

My wife and I were part of a group of 20 or so that attended a wedding in nearby Springfield over the Holiday weekend, took a train into Chicago and arrived late afternoon. Checked in, dropped our bags in our rooms and went to dinner. Got back and basically went to bed. Next morning, starting to organize things and getting ready for our first Go Chicago tour, I felt something squishy under my foot. Surprise! Dog Poop!!! Found several other “treasures” fully intact out of the normal traffic path in the room. Turns out that The Palmer House is a “pet-friendly” hotel, something none in our group were aware of. I guess it’s a policy going back many decades accommodating famous (and not so famous) guests and their pets. Fine. We notified hotel staff and were moved to a really nice room – same rate. But we almost missed our planned tour with the rest of our group. And happened to notice another “treasure” in the hallway along the way…

This isn’t altogether the hotel’s fault. How housekeeping managed to clean our room missing the poop is a bit of mystery. But, pet owners need to be responsible for their animals – my wife and I are for ours. I could go on, however, suggestion for the hotel management of today. Maybe only have pet-friendly areas (floors/rooms) that have coarse sand or kitty litter for flooring in the rooms and hallways, instead of the nice, plush carpeting in the hallways and dark brown carpeting in the rooms that hide many ills. (I found many stains on ours looking closely with a flashlight before we vacated our first room.) Perhaps offer a pet service for guests that can’t or won’t take responsibility for their pets. And a surcharge for pet-guest rooms and have a staff person personally check out a pet room before releasing it to operations for next guests. When we checked out, I discovered that while I had changed our flights for a day earlier, I apparently forgot to change our last night at The Palmer. Finally negotiated to a $50 “early checkout fee”. By the way, the basic rooms and especially bathrooms are quite small, similar to a river cruise room.

Now the good. The Palmer House is what I would call THE Grand Dame of Hotels for Chicago, going back to the 1870’s in it’s current form. The original was destroyed in the great fire shortly after being built. It has served a number of dignitaries and famous people over the decades. The hotel has undergone a major restoration over the last 7 or so years at a substantial cost (around $160+ million), and it shows. The rooms, although small, have been re-done, new sinks, bathrooms, beds, wall coverings etc. They managed to retain the original flooring in most bathrooms it appears (granite?) Our first night we happened upon a bartender in the main lobby and while serving us and even though her shift was over, she shared some history. S (didn’t write down her name) has been at The Palmer for 13+ years, and if the hotel were a museum (and in a way it is) she could be it’s curator, or at least a lead docent. The lobby is exquisite, the ceiling is reminiscent of the Vatican in Rome – restoration finished last year. The restored Tiffany fixtures adorning the walls and staircase are magnificent. The original marble floor has been exposed and polished, although damaged from nails having been carpeted over for many years. Staff is generally helpful and friendly, the Freshii and Starbucks are great for a quick start in the morning.

Bottom line, do go to the Palmer House at least for drinks and check out the grand lobby. And If you do stay, it’s a great location, central to a lot of sights and restaurants. But be sure to bring a flashlight and pooper-scooper

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
5  Thank Bert W
Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

We wanted an affordable place near millenium park and got it. There's a cvs right across the street and a great juice bar in hotel.
Beautiful decor although our room could have used a fridge. Also despite great location, there's no view of city. Totally fine though, overall we were pleased! Actually wound up staying an extra night!

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed July 8, 2014

Got a very good deal for the first week in July. Cannot beat the location. close to major attractions at Lakefront, Michigan Ave, the Loop. Hop on the El to go elsewhere in Chicago.
room was spacious and bed was very good. Parking is steep at $42/night but palatable with room rate. the lobby is something special and worth the visit even if you do not stay there. In room wifi at $10 is a bit over the top but they have computers and printers off the lobby for use. Pet friendly

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Let me preface this by saying that this is the third time I have stayed at the Palmer House Hilton. My first two experiences were significantly better than the last. We checked in on Friday and were able to check in early without hassle (always a plus) and given a larger room than my previous stays as well. The room appeared to be clean and spacious with a sitting area in addition to two double beds. However, all of this becomes insignificant during our first night's sleep. I was traveling with my brother, and I wake up at 6 am to hear him climbing out of his bed. I see he has his phone flashlight on and asked him what was going on and he replies that there was a cockroach crawling on him. Thinking he was probably dreaming, I flipped on the bedside light and got up to see a large cockroach under his pillow. I immediately called the front desk, and they offered to have housekeeping come up to change the linens. I let them know that we would prefer a room change all together (who knows how many more there were!) They obliged and said they would send a bellman up to move us. In the meantime, we re-packed all of our things and then we were able to trap the sucker under a glass as we wanted to be sure we had proof (see picture). We showed the bellman and he casually squished it with a tissue and flushed it down the toilet. We were moved to the top floor and given a note that said we would also receive free breakfast and appetizers on the executive floor in our new room. We got to the new room and it was considerably smaller than our previous room, but appeared clean and bug free so we attempted to go back to sleep for a little while (after taking showers). It was extremely difficult to sleep the following night as well even after I took a flashlight under the beds (bad idea if you're a clean freak...they were disgusting, but at least no bugs). Upon checkout I went to the front desk and politely explained the issue, armed with the picture that I had on my phone as well. The clerk didn't want to look at the picture and said that we had been moved to the top floor and given the breakfast/appetizers (which we weren't able to take advantage of due to other plans). I said I understood, but because I was forced up in the middle of the night and made to re-pack bags, etc. I thought there was something else they might be able to do and asked to speak with a manager to explain the situation. The clerk then disappeared behind a curtain and returned 5+ minutes later to say the manager was prepared to offer one free day of valet parking. I explained that I really thought that the first night's stay should be compensated as our entire stay was disturbed. He clicked about 50 times on the computer and after about a minute of silence said "he guessed" they could do that. I wish I would have been able to talk to a manager directly, and I certainly don't think I should have had to "beg" for one night to be compensated based on our experience. It could have been handled much better especially because I don't think my request was unreasonable, and I was completely calm and respectful when I explained the situation. I know that it is not the clerk's fault, but I am a little annoyed a manager didn't even have the courtesy to come out and speak to me in person and tried to wiggle out of simply compensating one night of our stay that was disturbed due to their pest infestation. I will definitely not be returning and would encourage others to explore the many other options for a hotel stay in Chicago.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
14  Thank Amanda G

We are deeply sorry to hear of your experience while staying with us. We understand why would decide not to stay with us and try to influence others to do the same, and respect that decision based off your recent experience at our property. While compensation was offered for the encounter we, like you, would have preferred it to have never happened in the first place.

It is important for the reader to know that we do not take “pest infestations” or pest complaints lightly. While this particular interaction did occur at our hotel, it is important to know that we regret the way that this problem was addressed and have used, and will continue to use this particular interaction to better train our staff in the future. It is also important to note that our hotel does not have a “pest infestation” and that when we are properly notified of any such activity or claim we address it urgency and thoroughness.

Nick