“Art Deco Treasure”

GreenLeadersBronze level
wayne, NJ
“Art Deco Treasure”
Reviewed June 13, 2014

One of the coolest older hotels in Chicago. Located on Monroe and Wabash. It is a hotel from bygone years. Photos of long-departed celebrities that played the hotel's Empire Room line the halls on each floor. The Lobby is a spectacular Art Deco throwback with an awesome bar in the center. Lots of brass and a massive mosaic ceiling. Definitely worth staying at this Hilton owned property. Located in walking distance of Chicago's many museums and parks and a short taxi ride to Magnificent Mile shopping.

Room Tip: All the rooms I have stayed in were quite satisfactory. Clean and well-maintained. Rooms on the elev...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,747)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Atlanta area
Reviewed June 13, 2014

I am diamond with both Hilton and Hyatt and one of my favorite things about the Palmer house is their awesome fitness center and the thing I hated the most was the always packed exec lounge (which continued to get worse over the past year since they use to allow all gold's access and seeing that Hilton gives out gold so freely by just having a credit card it really got a lot worse in the past year).

I had a stay there last week and they improved on both of those since my last stay.

The fitness center is now open 24/7!!! Apparently that change has been in place for a while and I found out about it on my last stay. Great being able to get in a workout after arriving on a late flight.

My biggest complaint in the past with this property is the exec lounge. It's always been so crowded that a lot of times there were no seats and I would be forced to bring up the ice bucket tray from my room and put my breakfast on that and take it back down to my room to eat which is a real pain if your room isn't on a floor in the same elevator banks as 23 and you have to go to floor 7 and switch elevators to get to your floor. There were at least three times last year where I wanted to be assured of a seat at breakfast time and not deal with the game of taking breakfast to my room and stayed at the Hyatt on Wacker instead just for a peaceful breakfast.

Hilton policy states that lounge access is for diamonds and those on the exec floor and in the past the Palmer House was giving ALL gold's access and seeing Hilton gives out gold way too easily by just having their credit card, that really created overcrowding issues. I complained to Julie in an email while the lounge was being renovated about the issue, as did at least one other person I know from my office, and we were assured the property would be making changes when it reopened. I decided to see if that was the case last week and give PH another shot, and sure enough they did listen to their guests and the only people with lounge access are diamonds and those on floors 22 and 23 and it has made a HUGE difference. I was able to find a table both mornings at breakfast with no problem and at appetizer hour the place is actually relaxing.

Location of the hotel is great. If you are using Ohare, the blue line is only a block and a half away and if you are using Midway the orange line is literally right outside the door. I use the red line to get around Chicago a lot and the red line is right outside the state street doors of the hotel. If you are using Amtrak a very easy 10 minute walk or quick taxi ride.

Staff is great. I love how they have renovated rooms while still keeping the old historic charm in the common areas.

I have never had an issue with a late checkout as a diamond either. In some cities where Hilton won't give diamonds late checkouts, Hyatt will get my business since a guaranteed late checkout is a stated benefit for their diamonds. I asked for a 2 p.m. checkout when I checked in and was told not a problem!

I really appreciate Julie and the other staff of the Palmer House acting on the complaints of lounge overcrowding. Due to that change (which not being able to find a seat at breakfast was a huge complaint) Palmer house is now my favorite Chicago property!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Ishawa S, Manager at The Palmer House Hilton, responded to this review, June 14, 2014
Thank you for your great comments.

I am so glad that you noticed and enjoyed the changes that we have made to accommodate our guests on the Executive floor and in our fitness center. We value you as a Diamond member and your previous frustrations have not gone unnoticed. It is comments like yours that inspires our staff and lets us know that we are moving in a positive direction.

Thank you so much.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 11, 2014 via mobile

A relic in both the good and not-so-good sense. The lobby bustles with activity; unfortunately, it feels like you are at O'Hare waiting to board a flight. The service from staff was, disappointingly, hit or miss. The history is neat but the guest rooms feel really dated. In terms of value, there are far better options in the city relative to the prices charged.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Al_Dominick
Ishawa S, Manager at The Palmer House Hilton, responded to this review, June 12, 2014

In our historic hotel, we routinely choose floors to remodel to make sure that every room is kept modern but not losing the historic feel that we are known for. This year we finished remolding our Towers floors and next year there will be more floors to follow.

I apologize that you found the Lobby as having too much activity. We have our slow and busy periods throughout the week but we always expect a steady flow. People from far and wide look forward to viewing our beautiful and majestic lobby and we try to make it assessable to anyone looking for that experience.

The Lobby is where guests conduct business meetings in our fabulous Lockwood restaurant or they meet up with colleagues at the bar after a long day at the office to have a drink or two. It’s not uncommon to see a bride taking pictures after her wedding, using the beauty of the Lobby as a backdrop for some of her most treasured photos.

I agree with you that it can get busy at times but it’s all intended to supply our guests with memories that they can hold on to for a lifetime.

Thank you so much for your feedback.
It is very valuable to us.
Southwest Gulf Coast, Florida
Reviewed June 11, 2014

I love the 'bones' of this majestic historical building and it was indeed a treat to stay in the heart of Chicago and walk to Millenium Park, Lakeshore Drive, and several blocks of shopping. A short cab ride to Chinatown, Navy Pier and the Magnificient Mile as well. The rooms aren't very large or fancy, and the bathrooms are tiny. Everything is clean, and the room attendants were very accomodating with extra towels and accessories upon request. There is an interesting documentary on the tv detailing the history of the hotel and its' owners (Potter and Bertha Palmer) which is a must-see. They mention a multi-million dollar renovation in the works, and I can't wait to see the finished product. I would stay here again, especially after the renovation.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank TAMIAMITRAIL
npyles, Manager at The Palmer House Hilton, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate your honesty and are glad that you enjoy our history and story as much as we do. The move you referenced is called “Love Under Fire: The Story of Bertha and Potter Palmer” and is a wonderful documentary about our hotel.

We have just completed a full renovation of our Executive Level on the 22nd and 23rd floor of the hotel. The décor is completely different from the rest of the hotel. We highly recommend you give it a shot next time you are back in town.

Thanks again for taking the time to review our property and we hope to see you again soon.

Nick
Fredericktown
Reviewed June 10, 2014

The Palmer House was one of the fanciest place I have ever stayed. The lobby, bar, and common areas were very swanky. The staff was friendly and eager to direct my wife and I to interesting sites, and help us in getting out to the suburbs one evening. The location is very convenient and only a short ride from some of the most famous points in the city.

I was impressed by the comfortable beds and furniture in the room. I also found it to be clean and well taken care of, maybe a tad dated. Although, dated décor should not dissuade you from staying here, as it is worth the cost.

I would stay here again, and would recommend the same to anyone who is traveling to Chicago.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank paulinmo
Pamela D, Manager at The Palmer House Hilton, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of the Palmer House. We appreciate your kind comments pertaining to the grandeur of the hotel and the hospitality of our team members.
We hope you will afford us future opportunities to serve you when traveling to Chicago.

Kind regards,

Pamela
Cranford, New Jersey
Reviewed June 10, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here during a conference and enjoyed the history of the place. The room was spacious even though there was no coffee maker as another reviewer stated. The concierge was helpful and I would certainly stay again. Gym was great with plenty of equipment.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a lovely review pertaining to the Palmer House history and service. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. The team looks forward to an opportunity to serve you in the near future.

Kind Regards,
Pamela Domma
New york, United States
Reviewed June 10, 2014

The room was clean. That is the only good thing to say about it. Too small, uncomfortable, bathroom too small and ill equipped. no place to hang towels in use, TV placed so it could not be viewed from bed, complimentary internet did not work, heating did not maintin a constant temp. I advise anyone coming to Chicago to stay elsewhere

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Ishawa S, Manager at The Palmer House Hilton, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

I apologize to you for placing you in a room that you found to be uncomfortable and secondly, not rectifying this inconvenience while you were here. It is our goal to provide every guest with outstanding service and a level of comfort that should make you feel right at home.

The rooms in our historic hotel are a wide range of sizes and types. This allows us to cater to a variety of travelers and to insure that they are comfortable while they are with us. If it is brought to our attention that a guest is not comfortable , the multiple room design gives us the flexibility to upgrade guests to a totally different room type according to their specific room needs. Whether it’s a more humble room in square footage to a more generous family sized room, a double bed to a king bed or a full suite to a mini suite, we try to offer a number of room types to accommodate our guests.

We also have to ability to add notes about a specific stay to your Hilton profile so that we can avoid placing you in a room that you have identified as not meeting your standard of comfort.

I also would like to thank you for your comments about the internet and the temperature in the room. Your feedback allows us to determine areas to target and to continue to make improvements. We have an experienced team of qualified technicians looking into these situations as a result of your feedback.

Thank you again.