“Very Beautiful Venue”

Palmer House A Hilton Hotel
Ranked #103 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 23, 2014

From start to finish, the staff were quite helpful. There was a bartender named Cari who was fun to talk with, the lady that checked me in did a great job. The concierge was very helpful. The room was beautiful, and the room was kept perfectly ship-shape. I LOVED that they sit in the middle of several major public transport options... the 'loop' trains - like 4 different ones, were right outside one door, the red line subway right outside the other. My only gripes were 1) the creepy techno music that plays anywhere in the lobby areas. it SO did not match the classic decor. If you must have Musak, make it big band or something of the era. 2) no coffee pot in the room. Loved the fridge though... I loved the beer selection at the hotel bar, and at the bar next door. I'd go there again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (9,533)

Reviewed April 23, 2014

I stayed at Palmer house during a job interview in 2011 and I had came here often after I had gotten that job as my work was next door to this hotel. I was most recently here in 2013 when attending one of the many conferences they have here. The layout of this place is a multi directional corridor layout with a brick exterior that overlooks much of the central loop in Chicago. The rooms are well maintained with privacy on several floors. The dining and bar area here is amazing as it appears in a classical ballroom sense. At times it can be much better priced than other hotels in the area which is also an advantage. I dont know if I would put this place in the top 10 hotels of Chicago but I would probably put in the top 25 hotels of Chicago. Visit here if you want a classical hotel at a reasonable rate and want to be centrally located.

Room Tip: Pick one on a higher floor that requires extra security to get to.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank conrade886
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Upon arrival we were very excited as the hotel is stunning. However when we got to our room things changed. The carpet was dirty, there was what looked like a pubic hair on one of the pillows, the outlet in the bathroom did not work and to top it off we were put in a wheelchair accessible room so when we showered water covered the bathroom floor. We went out for the day and returned in the evening to watch T.V. and relax, only to find that the remote would not work and the T.V. could not be used without it. We called the front desk for a replacement, which never came. The next evening my husband took the remote to the desk and we finally got a new one but only after a phone call to the desk and my husband going back a second time. Overall a very disappointing stay at what seemed to be a very nice place! We will not be staying here again.

The New Towers of the Iconic Palmer House Hilton, Chicago, IL
A surprise awaited upon arrival for a recent stay in the Palmer House Hilton Towers. The concierge floors have been tastefully redecorated and updated, thankfully, in a very complimentary way without invading the historic charm of a gem in the heart of the Chicago Loop. Rich fabrics in stunning colors and new furnishings blend in elegant classic and traditional styles in guest rooms and corridors and assure a welcome, inviting, comfortable atmosphere and experience for guests.
But some things never change at this hotel - hospitality! There’s nothing like Palmer House hospitality! Towers staff members are experienced in the art of hospitality and go out of their way to accommodate every guest need and desire - they are the greatest and deserve five stars - especially Jolanta, Diamond Concierge Manager; Earnie and Albana, just to name a few. Do you telephone the hotel? If so, then your first contact might be the friendly voice special lady, Dorothy Williams, hotel operator - gracious, hospitable and knowledgeable about where to direct your call for quickest results.
Fresh and new is good sometimes too! Rasha, a skilled and imaginative manager on the Concierge floors has been added to the staff and she oversees the Continental Breakfast and evening cocktail hours. Under her guidance a variety of ethnic dishes take turns blending with traditional to replace palatably exciting fare with the previously “ho-hum”.
What a place! What an experience! What a delight! It’s very hard to leave the world of Palmer House Hilton, Chicago. So I come back again and again and again!! Try it - you’ll love it too.

Room Tip: Valaet parking - look for special attendant, Jesue.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Great hotel, few minor incidents with the housekeeper folding up used towels that were on the ground and making lots of noice early in the morning. We had a great time and loved Chicago. We are always planning trips around the country and would think of this hotel in the future. Also, internet was only in the lobby which was not fun since everyone was down there fighting for it...even as a Silver HHonors member, they didn't offer it to me...asked twice

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed April 22, 2014

Front desk and security staff are rude and lack basic customer service skills. My hotel room door was open when I got in and they just acted like it was ok and wondered why I was calling them to notify them. When I initially arrived my keys didn't work and they said it must have been my keys were near my cell phone. Keys were in my hand the whole time but oh well, I just wanted to get in my room and stop dragging lugagge back and forth. Once I got back to the room for the second the door was ajar. I asked housekeep who was a couple rooms down if she had just been in there and she said no, and when I asked if she knew why it would be open, she just said "don't know" and went back into the other room. I called the front desk and waited while it rang for a few minutes, then called back and was transferred to security. I told them what happened and in a nutshell she "didn't know what to tell me". I will not stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank sherry p
npyles, Front Office Manager at Palmer House A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We appreciate your feedback. We are sorry we didn’t provide the high quality of services you deserve. This is not typical of our hotel and staff, and we have addressed the issues you mentioned. We try to make each guest experience a great one at our hotel and your satisfaction is important to us. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you’ll give us another opportunity soon to make your stay the best it can be. Regards, Pamela Domma, Director of Front Office

Reviewed April 22, 2014

A great little get away< Hotel is beautiful with such rich history. Location perfect for walking to art museum,shopping, and millennium park. Staff friendly and helpful. Overall a great place to stay.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts