“Girls weekend disappointment”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Cordova, Tennessee
“Girls weekend disappointment”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Reservations made through 3rd party and prepaid. I guess that was my mistake. Requested non-smoking. Given smoking room. Only way to change was to pay for upgrade tom he Executive floor. Additional $400 because we "do not have to honor 3rd party requests". Upon returning to hotel room on second night, a sleep bed had been placed in the room. Please come remove immediately. Third party reservation was to include wi-fi as part of room. Well guess what, you pay $85 more per night and you still do not get wi-fi access. New bed and sleep mattress was excellent. My four night stay in Chicago to help celebrate friends 50th birthday was a major dissapointment. The only reason for two stars is access and location in the loop. The hotel is not worth the expense. Keep searching for another facility. Next time we try the Westin. Maybe they hinor 3rd party reservations.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
HiltonPalmerHouse, Manager at The Palmer House Hilton, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

My dearest apologies for the disappointing experienced during your visit. We take our guest's feedback into great consideration. We hope you will give us the opportunity to make things right on your next visit to Chicago.

Dardan Mehmeti

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,791)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
DC
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Having returned from Chicago this afternoon, with a sour taste after spending three days at the PH - I must agree with other comments that while the public spaces at the PH are beautiful and while it's a great place to have a drink or dinner (Lockwood) -- the guest rooms and overall customer service was incredibly disappointing, frustrating -- frankly, the worst I have experienced for years.

I have stayed in a number of other CHI properties over the past decade (usually decided by client or by conference) including House of Blues, Sheraton, Hilton etc.

Long time hilton diamond member, normally have a great experience - have stayed in major hilton properties across euopr and in most major American cities. I decided to splurge w/ spouse while in CHI while in for major conference at McCormick. Called to request an upgrade - and let the res desk know that I would be celebrating anniversary and generally enjoying Chicago.

Arrived early - called to reconfirm upgrade and K bed. "No worries - all good" was the reply... upon arriving at hotel - had planned on stowing luggage and heading out for lunch... instead was told that room was available and I could check in.. Great! oh, wait only room available for you has 2 beds - oversold on K rooms. offered to move off Exec level for a K... Nope... overed to check in later for a K... nope.

Really?? Oversold for a Diamond w notes in the folio re anniversary who had made reservation more than 2 months ago... and had already been charged for the first night stay? (When I received the email confirming reservation, the notes mentioned this!)

The next morning, I went back to front desk to inquire about possibly swapping rooms - Titana(?) again said nope.

Later that day, I called concierge desk to see if we could make arrangements for a show...maybe dinner. The the gentlemen who answered the Concierge phone told me to call ticket master.for show tickets!!! If I wanted to do that I would have just called TICKETMASTER! . I then asked him the location of the Oriental Theatre ( because I was going to just walk over to box office) and he did not know. I was then put on hold for several minutes, at which time I simply hung up.

The room was very small - actually was two beds - not Q - more like single beds, you had to move the desk chair out of the way to enter or exit the room easily. bathroom had a funky double shower head - and the sink was wedged in to the corner with the a partial wall sticking out so you could not stand in front of it with the door open.... and since there is no fan, you need to keep the door open to let the steam dissipate from the shower.

On Thurs - asked for late checkout - you would have thought I had asked for the moon. Desk Clerk hemmed and hawed and stared at her computer screen... I had the feeling she was waiting for me to just say" never mind". After another 20- 30 seconds of uncomfortable silence she finally sighed deeply and granted me permission to extend my visit by 2 hours.

Finally, after checking out, and retrieving vehicle from self park we realized that we had left GPS on the desk in the guest room, so we called hotel security who indicated that it was not in lost and found... asked to check w housekeeping. Not to be found.
Again very disappointing.

Go for a drink, walk around admire the public spaces,.. maybe have a nice dinner but stay elsewhere!!!

Room Tip: If you stay on exec level - stay away from corner rooms - its very crowded in am for bfast
1 Thank maggieandemma
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I enjoyed my business stay here. The location was perfect. The rooms were small, I stayed in an executive room with 2 bathrooms which was nice. The amenities of the executive floor were worth the extra costs (faster elevator access, breakfast, snacks, and quieter rooms). I wasn't anticipating that the hotel (lobby, number of rooms, etc) would be so large considering it is historic, it is very large.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I stayed at the Palmer House from Sept 19-23, 2013 for business. I normally stay closer to the river, when I am in Chicago, but I love this location even more. One block to the Art Institute and the park and less than a block to almost all the L stops. The lower level of the hotel is like an underground mall, with Starbucks and some shops but take the escalator to the Lobby floor and be prepared to be blown away. Stunning and elegant lobby with its chandeliers and frescos on the barrel ceiling. The rooms are on the small side but perfectly comfortable. The bathroom was tiny and there was no storage at all for your toiletries etc. The maid service is a little careless with the vacuuming as there were crumbs on the floor when I got there, and when I left. Overall, I love the hotel.

Oakville, Canada
Reviewed September 26, 2013

The is a very beautiful historic property, the rooms are not large but very comfortable. I stayed on the 23rd floor. Separate express elevators for the executive floor was great to get to your room at night. If you really wanted, the food provided on the 23rd floor was perfect for breakfast and dinner. There was also snacks just about anytime you would want them. Check in was a breeze and everyone who works at the hotel was so nice. Even when I had an hr to kill I found some of the general staff more than willing to show me around various high spots of the hotel like the ballroom and Al Capone's poker room that other than the lights has not been changed since Capone's time. The secret hiding room is not so secret anymore in that it now has a visible lock on it.

Room Tip: if you can get a room on the executive floor
1 Thank t6080n5
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I booked a king, non-smoking room on Expedia for this hotel, non-refundable. I arrived late in the evening to check-in and was told all that was left were smoking rooms. I cannot stay in smoking rooms due to asthma. The hotel was in a word horrible. They said the third party bookings for smoking rooms are just "special requests" that do not have to be honored. At one point I was told that I had made a special request for a smoking room. While I was sorting this out, other guests were going through the same routine, being given smoking rooms that they did not want. Expedia, despite my "elite status" was not much help either until I called today and spoke to management who did confirm that I had booked a nonsmoking room and refunded my money. The front desk staff at this hotel is awful, inconsiderate, rude, unskilled, I haven't seen anything like this before. There was no compassion for the fact that I could not sleep in a smoking room, and had me stand at the front desk for an hour.. The manager came out and offered me a cot in a conference room, one blanket and one pillow, no shower or tub and let's just say I had a great night at a Hilton.... last time I will stay at a Hilton for a long time.....

3 Thank Lifeisgood9999
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

I spent 2 nights at the Palmer House over the weekend. Checkin was quick. I am Hilton Gold and did not get upgraded, but did get access to the lounge. I did get free internet.

The room was adequate with a king size bed, but the bathroom was tiny.

The lobby by the bar and restaurant is magnificent. Make sure you look up at the ceiling.

Location is great. I took the train from O'Hare and it is 2 blocks to the hotel. It is also 2 blocks to the Art Institute of Chicago.

Would stay here again.