“Old World Elegance, excellent location”

The Palmer House Hilton
Ranked #100 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I stayed at the Palmer House from Sept 19-23, 2013 for business. I normally stay closer to the river, when I am in Chicago, but I love this location even more. One block to the Art Institute and the park and less than a block to almost all the L stops. The lower level of the hotel is like an underground mall, with Starbucks and some shops but take the escalator to the Lobby floor and be prepared to be blown away. Stunning and elegant lobby with its chandeliers and frescos on the barrel ceiling. The rooms are on the small side but perfectly comfortable. The bathroom was tiny and there was no storage at all for your toiletries etc. The maid service is a little careless with the vacuuming as there were crumbs on the floor when I got there, and when I left. Overall, I love the hotel.

There are newer reviews for The Palmer House Hilton

Reviewed September 26, 2013

The is a very beautiful historic property, the rooms are not large but very comfortable. I stayed on the 23rd floor. Separate express elevators for the executive floor was great to get to your room at night. If you really wanted, the food provided on the 23rd floor was perfect for breakfast and dinner. There was also snacks just about anytime you would want them. Check in was a breeze and everyone who works at the hotel was so nice. Even when I had an hr to kill I found some of the general staff more than willing to show me around various high spots of the hotel like the ballroom and Al Capone's poker room that other than the lights has not been changed since Capone's time. The secret hiding room is not so secret anymore in that it now has a visible lock on it.

Room Tip: if you can get a room on the executive floor
1  Thank t6080n5
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I booked a king, non-smoking room on Expedia for this hotel, non-refundable. I arrived late in the evening to check-in and was told all that was left were smoking rooms. I cannot stay in smoking rooms due to asthma. The hotel was in a word horrible. They said the third party bookings for smoking rooms are just "special requests" that do not have to be honored. At one point I was told that I had made a special request for a smoking room. While I was sorting this out, other guests were going through the same routine, being given smoking rooms that they did not want. Expedia, despite my "elite status" was not much help either until I called today and spoke to management who did confirm that I had booked a nonsmoking room and refunded my money. The front desk staff at this hotel is awful, inconsiderate, rude, unskilled, I haven't seen anything like this before. There was no compassion for the fact that I could not sleep in a smoking room, and had me stand at the front desk for an hour.. The manager came out and offered me a cot in a conference room, one blanket and one pillow, no shower or tub and let's just say I had a great night at a Hilton.... last time I will stay at a Hilton for a long time.....

3  Thank Lifeisgood9999
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I spent 2 nights at the Palmer House over the weekend. Checkin was quick. I am Hilton Gold and did not get upgraded, but did get access to the lounge. I did get free internet.

The room was adequate with a king size bed, but the bathroom was tiny.

The lobby by the bar and restaurant is magnificent. Make sure you look up at the ceiling.

Location is great. I took the train from O'Hare and it is 2 blocks to the hotel. It is also 2 blocks to the Art Institute of Chicago.

Would stay here again.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I am writing this review today following the poor customer experience I received just a few hours ago, that's how strongly I feel about it. I would check out but local hotels are showing as full (as they told me this one was). I booked an upgraded room through an AmEx promotion. My husband is joining me and we were looking forward to making it a special weekend before baby two next year. I tried to check in at 2pm, and they told me my room (on the 23rd floor, with a view) wasnt ready yet and to please give them another hour. I obliged and came back at 3pm. I was put in a room on 22 with NO VIEW that is the size of a shoe box. I called down to front desk to ask for an explanation of the discrepancy of what I was told and what I received. They only told me "that room is an upgrade, we are sold out, there arent any rooms on 23..." when I asked why I was told something else just an hour earlier, they had no explanation and no atteour stay here to further address correct or ammend it. I would change hotels but dont have any options. If you have the choice, go to The Marriott. This Hilton hotel doesnt keep to their word, has terrible service whne you address it. Bottom line, you'll regret your choice and pay way too much to get the room and attitude from the staff.

Room Tip: en the AmEx promo didnt do much for a "good room." Try anything other than trying to get...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jennifer Q
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Great location in the theatre district with easy access from CTA metro.
Public areas are well-maintained and the lobby area is spectacular.
However, the rooms themselves could do with some updating and overall the hotel seems overpriced when compared to other nearby hotels.
The bar was shut on the one night I stayed and the lifts failed the following morning. A colleague had no hot water in his shower.
WiFi charges @ $16 per day per device are outrageous. The front-desk staff were unapologetic about this and kept repeating that was their policy and I could effectively like it or lump it. I eventually managed to get them to remove the charge for my second device but it was done without good grace.
I will stay somewhere else next time I'm in this part of Chicago.

1  Thank UKDjh
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I'll preface this review with this information: I went to Chicago for business and paid over $280/night for a room at The Palmer House. It looks like some other customers had better rates and I were paying $150/night for this room, I'd have rated it higher. The impressive lobby was truly beautiful and you could feel the history in the hotel, though it was consistently crowded. When checking in, there was a bit of a crowd, so I got in the Hilton Honors line. This turned out to be a mistake, as I realized that there was only one person handling the Honors customers and about four running the other customers. This was something that was commented on by everyone in the Honors line, as it seemed counter intuitive to make your loyal customers wait longer. I asked to be put on a higher floor with a nice city view if one was available. The person checking me, who I believe was a supervisor, was very nice and put me on the 20th floor - which is a Hilton Honors floor. Unfortunately, when I got to my room, I realized it was tiny. There was a very small desk with one chair, a bed and a nightstand. No dresser. I had to put my clothes in the nightstand. I don't know if I had a particularly small room or if that was the norm, but it was cramped for a business traveler. The room's decor was modern and the bed and bedding was very comfortable. Also, the view I'd requested was non-existent. I had the view of a fire escape and the back of another building. Again, for the price I paid, I'd expected more, but if you can get a good deal and don't plan on spending a lot of time in the room itself, this is a good option.

Room Tip: Aski if any rooms are larger than others. Again, my room was quite small. Also - you may ask to be c...
1  Thank Julie_ACharlotte_NC