“Beat Expectations” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Champaign-Urbana, Illinois
“Beat Expectations”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

Booked two rooms through the Lollapalooza website for the music festival. After reading other reviews I was a bit weary about my decision, but the experience couldn't have been better. Great person in reservations was able to get adjacent rooms for us. Even though the check in line looked long, there was plenty of staff to expedite. Gorgeous Lobby. Our rooms were spacious although peeked in other doors left open during housekeeping and many were smaller. Rooms were very clean, and beds comfortable. Great location for Grant & Millennium Parks, Art Institute, Museum Campus, Theatres, State Street shopping and plenty of dining options. We booked out parking through SpotHero and ended up right underneath the hotel. The gym looked fabulous, but I didn't want to spend $10 to use. We like to walk so had no issue walking past river to Magnificent Mile

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,688)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Caledon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

I loved staying at the Palmer house Hilton stop by and see Shah at the concierge, he is so helpful. I read reviews about the wait for elevators, I have not experienced any wait time at all. The room I am staying in is lovely. The staff are very helpful and so far it has been a pleasure, for my first time in Chicago I think we picked a winner. The Hotel is so close to the gray line tours. Go chicago has an office right in the hotel. Everything I needed is right here.

Room Tip: We stayed on 21st floor extremely quiet
Columbia, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

I stayed here for a few days in August. The hotel is old with beautiful architecture. However, I was disappointed with size of the bathroom. Looking at the 12" tiles on the floor, the standing area was estimated to be 32" x 32". That's smaller than the footprint of an average refrigerator. Plus, the door opened into that area. I found myself drying off and getting dressed in the hallway outside the bathroom. I asked a friend that was also staying in the hotel and her bathroom was tiny too. While the sink had a granite counter and seemed modern, the tub and tub tiles were old and needed replacement. The room itself was a decent size. However, my friend reported her room was small.

I had the buffet breakfast included in my room rate. I ate there twice and the food was not good. The scrambled eggs were runny with chives all over them. I do not like crunchy chives on my runny eggs. I changed to the pancakes and waffles and they tasted blah. You should ask for a made to order omelette or something other than the buffet.

The gym looked very nice, but you couldn't use it without paying an additional fee. It's not included with the room. That's ridiculous.

On a positive note, the location was great. It was near many city attractions, restaurants, etc.

I would stay here again if the price was right because of the location and not because of the accommodations. I

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

Huge hotel, accommodating a small city, I believe :) a lot if facilities for a big conference, and perks to make it not only business, but a pleasure. SPA in hotel with amazing massage, main Chicago sights nearby, comfortable rooms. Although for the price I would add free wifi in the rooms - one but quite significant disappointment during my stay.

• Stayed August 2013
San Diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

If you are a tourist with some extra money to spend, stay here. The location is ideal. You roll out of bed and you are in Millienium Park and Grant Park. You walk 5 steps and you are at the Art Institute. Michigan Ave and the Loop is right there. Plus, the train is right outside the door, however you would never know it from your room because you won't hear it at all. The lobby and restaurant/lounge area is lavishly decorated and really a sight to behold. All staff were friendly and accommodating. One doorman was particularly nice and had great answers for everything, I really should have gotten his name.

Not the cheapest place but I think it was money well spent. A perfect location in a great part of the city.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Kevin C
Saint Louis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

They upgraded our room during a marathon weekend. Service was impeccable. We had a "near the top" floor corner room with a decent view. The TV was a "boob tube" style, and the décor was dated, but the bed was amazingly comfortable, and we had a nice stay. We used a "negotiator" to name our price and stayed here for a steal. I wouldn't have picked this hotel outright, but we weren't disappointed with it, all things considered. Location was perfect!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

I am a Diamond Hilton member and recently decided to stay local and head to the Palmer House for an evening with my family. The entire check in process was amazing slow. Arrived......had to wait for 25 minutes in line, then was told that I had to move my car out of the valet parking to the local self service lot to get the rate quoted. Even though I just arrived it took 25 minutes to find the car. While I was doing this my wife was trying to check our bags since the rooms were not ready. That took 20 minutes as well. When arrived later that afternoon to check (it was now 4:30) I was told one of the rooms was not ready. No apology. Will avoid this place in the future.

Room Tip: Just plan to spend a lot of time in lines!
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
HiltonPalmerHouse, Public Relations Manager at The Palmer House Hilton, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear Guest,
On behalf of Hilton, we want to thank you for your continued patronage of Hilton and apologize for your recent experience as it's certainly not indicative of our service potential. We will actually be offering several new parking options which will eliminate the issue you highlighted. We hope that the new parking upgrades options coupled with our team creating a new best practice plan for check-in will encourage you to give our property another chance.

We appreciate your honest feedback.

Warmest Regards,