“Customer Satisfaction Beyond Expectations”

The Palmer House Hilton
Ranked #98 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Customer Satisfaction Beyond Expectations”
Reviewed June 22, 2008

We got an excellent rate through Hotwire and were given a large refurbished room. After dropping off our luggage we headed out for dinner and a show at the Chicago Theatre. Upon our return, we realized there was a noisy gathering in the room next to ours. Around midnight we called down to the front desk. They offered to send up Security, but we chose to switch rooms instead. They sent a bellman up with keys for the new accommodations and to assist us with our transition. I was afraid that they might give us a lesser room because of our complaint. Instead they provided us with a corner suite with a living room, dining room, wet bar, bedroom, two bathrooms and two plasma TV's. As you can imagine, we were totally delighted!

• Liked — Fantastic Service!
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,768)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Falls Church, Virginia
Reviewed June 19, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Palmer House in a room on the Executive Floor when I went to Chicago (formerly my hometown) for a wedding. This has always been one of my favorite hotels for sentimental reasons.

You can’t beat the location if you want to be downtown in the loop. The Palmer House is between State and Wabash at Monroe, so you are right there in the middle of it all, and a very short and pleasant walk to Millenium Park and the lake.

The lobby is beautiful in a late 19th early 20th century ornate way. It is up a flight of stairs from the street entrance, so you have to wander down the hall to find the elevators or lug your bags up the stairs. The rooms are old-hotel charming, but they have been on the small side every time I have stayed there, and the last time I could hear everything going on in the room next door, so this time I decided to treat myself and I reserved a room on the “Executive” floor.

The Executive floor has its own check-in, its own elevators (which is good b/c you never can seem to get the regular elevators in this hotel), lounge area with large tvs, complimentary continental breakfast (cereals, fruits, quite good pastries, etc.), bar with complimentary appetizers at night (mini-quiche, spinach dip, cheese, etc.), and, as I expected, larger rooms.

I didn’t have a good experience when we went to check in at the special check in desk, which had a big sign saying something like Check In for Hilton Diamond Members and Executive Floor. The man behind the desk asked me in a not too friendly manner if I was a Diamond member and when I said no, he hesitated. Although I jumped in with “we are staying on the Executive level” I was so uncomfortable that I almost just went over to the regular check in. But we got checked in.

The room was nice, it had a small kitchen with a sink and fridge, and a small sitting area. The bed was really comfy.

I enjoyed my stay, but I don’t know if I would pay the extra money for the Executive Floor again (I think my rate was $259 or thereabouts).

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The not so warm welcome
10 Thank fand
NYC
Reviewed June 18, 2008

I have stayed here before. It was OKAY, but I expected after the trumpeted 150 Milion renovation it would be better this time. Just the worst. My greatgrandparents used to stay here--maybe it was something then but it is nothing now. The Lobby is beautiful and the ceiling is not to be missed--but then run from this place. Phones don't work--for example, if you press the message button you get the director of food and beverage. The room service button didn't work either-you have to call the operator for everything and hope that they pick up. The rooms are TINY. I didn't need a remote control for the TV--I could use my toes! And the bathroom--well let's just say I have suits larger that that. I had a lovely view of a fireescape and could never tell if it was day or night. Yet it is packed with conventioneers. Maybe those are the folks that give it good reviews--I don't know-but I have been here twice in 6 months for about a week each time and it is awful.

• Stayed June 2008
3 Thank Henry96
Philadelphia
Reviewed June 17, 2008

Check-in: Check in is located on the second floor, which was a little odd, with bags, but it was quick on a Sunday evening.

Lobby: Beautiful and old. Lots of marble and gold-colored things. Big and airy. Lots of high-backed loveseats and arm chairs. According to one of the bartenders, the Palmer House is the first hotel to have electrical lighting and elevators.

The Restaurant -- Lockwood: Retardedly expensive. A Blue Moon (domestic Whit Bier) was $7.50 -- and it wasn't even a full pint. Breakfast "buffet" was $22. I put "buffet" in quotes because it was the smallest buffet I've ever seen. The other food on the menu looked good, but I didn't try any of it. One of the bartenders told me that some locals like to come to Lockwood because once you're there, you're unreachable: The marble and steel in the bar/restaurant block virtually all cell phone and PDA reception.

The Vibe: The hallways were beautifully decorated with black and white photos of entertainers who have performed at the hotel. There was also a stunning art deco 13th floor lobby, with gilded mirrors, peacock carpets and a purple circular couch that you can sit on while waiting for the (very, very slow) elevators.

The Room: Bathroom was tiny but clean. There was only one towel rack, and it was located inside the tub/shower. My room had two queen beds and no view. My room was clean and the beds were comfortable. My biggest beef was that there was no wireless access. There was hardwired pay-by-the-day Internet access, which cost somewhere around $15 a day.

• Liked — The lobbies
  • Disliked — The internet access
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
Kirkland, Washington
Reviewed June 16, 2008

Great location and a beautiful lobby, but we had a number of complaints. First, the check-in process took at least 30 minutes and the front-desk woman acted aloof and impersonal. Then, we made it up to our room and it was so small we could barely move around in it. The bedding was nice, but that was the only highlight of the room. Finally, I gave my valet parking ticket ($45/night btw) to the parking desk attendant (who was very rude), we waited for 30 minutes outside, and then one attendant out there asked us for our ticket. When I told him we already handed it in a half hour ago, he ran inside, only to come out a bit later saying that they didn't even grab the keys. Another 15 minutes go by, and when he *finally* pulls up in our car, he had the gall to stand idly waiting for a tip.

We spent the next night in the Westin Chicago River North and were infinitely more pleased by all aspects of the hotel.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything else
2 Thank Lifefabric
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Reviewed June 15, 2008

Palmer House is located in the PERFECT SPOT for visiting Chicago. Just 2 blocks west of Millenium Park and the Art Institute. It's a beautiful old hotel, undergoing renovation. We didn't get much time to explore the hotel itself, but walking through the beautiful lobby area was a real treat. The front desk gave us a large room since we were traveling with 2 young kids, which was a very generous move on their part. We found the rate on the internet and booked through a travel agent. Certainly that sized room would go for much higher if selected per the room style.
The only bad part of the visit was the valet service. On a Friday night it took 30 minutes for them to bring up our car, and on a Saturday morning it took 65 minutes, making us late for our appointment. They were understaffed and not well-managed, though the employees were very nice and doing the best they could under the poor circumstances.
I highly recommend the hotel due to its location, the valet parking is $45 with in/out privileges, but if you self park in the lot 1 block away it is only $35, with no in/out privileges.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Poor Valet Service
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
Lafayette, Indiana
Reviewed June 15, 2008

The lobby is hopping with mingling people most hours, the decor is 1930's. I am a Sinatra fan and was happy to see Pictures of all the famous people who played at the Empire Room in the 1930's and on. At first glance my husband and I were very happy with our hotel pick until being woken up at 6:30AM in the morning after a prior busy day of sight seeing. We were woken up by a beeping sound that sounded like it was coming from our room. I thought maybe the alarm was on from the previous guests. After investigating this annoying beeping sound, we realized it was our neighbors alarm. Then we fell back asleep for about 2 minutes until he turned his TV on and it sounded like it was in our room. You could hear every word very clearly. I called down to the front desk and they said they would tell security. We decided to then ask if they had a room that was not next to anyone and they said they were full but they could move us. So at 6:30 Am on our vacation we packed up all of our belongings to switch rooms. We were sent a few floors up to an end unit, into a smaller king room. In this room you could hear every word of the family next to us. These were the thinnest walls of any hotel room we have ever stayed in and we are not hotel snobs, we have stayed in the best and the worst of rooms. When we come back to Chicago, we would rather stay some where else.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — thin walls
2 Thank lowtalker