“Almost a five..”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Morristown, New Jersey
“Almost a five..”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Grand old hotel. Very well located for business in the Loop. Hotel had a good vibe, with bar in the lobby, and shops and Starbucks in the sub-level. In the heart and activity of downtown.

As typical with downtown hotels, parking was not on-site, but across the street in a garage attached to an office/residential tower. Expensive, however they could add the charge to the hotel bill.

Room on executive floor was very large, with two bathrooms. Good toiletries, amenities, in-room safe, really cool dual head shower. View was of the other rooms' windows and fire escape, but kind-of have to expect that of most downtown hotels, as a price of good location.

Only thing holding back from a five-star is the smaller maintenance items. As an older hotel, I can almost forgive them, but peeling paint and wallpaper were noticeable.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,791)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed June 22, 2013

The hotel is exceptionally well located in downtown Chicago, close to most major business towers and the L transit line. The downside to the hotel is that it is an updated old hotel: meaning - the layout of the lobby, restaurant, entrances, and rooms etc. is awkward: wheelchair accessibility and luggage rolling is awkward because of the three different elevator banks. The rooms in the Hilton Honors floor were small and had low ceilings, by North American standards. The bathroom had no coutnerspace, whereby the hair dryer was on a hook behind the door. The bathtub/shower was dated and had one of those tub floors that was uncomfortably soft, and the drain was a little slow. It did have an inroom safe large enough to fit a laptop and more, and surprisingly enough electrical plugs for gadgets given its age. My room on was quiet, and a bit of a labyrinth to find because it is a big hotel afterall. Service was adequate, and the bar downstairs was solid. It is a grand ol' dame of a hotel, with modern updates to honor its heritage. Given the right rate, it is a conveniently located hotel for business travel and conventions, and not a "retreat" for couples or families. We found the Starbucks downstairs to be an excellent asset.

Clinton, Iowa
Reviewed June 22, 2013

My wife and spent one night at the Palmer House this pass weekend. We parked in the parking garage just across Wabash from the hotel. Upon check-in we were upgraded from a double bed to a king, and when I mentioned that it was our 15th wedding anniversary we were given a large, corner room that had been recently updated. I did not catch the employee's name but he was very friendly, and we joked together about designing an app for finding your room in the hotel. The room was very spacious, contemporary, and clean The bed was very comfortable. Check out when very quickly. This hotel is a glorious, old gem in the heart of the city!

We ate lunch at the Flat Top Grill just north on Wabash about 1/2 block which I would highly recommend if you love fresh oriental cuisine. We had dinner at Miller's Pub and Restaurant and that was just OK. We also had breakfast at the Beef and Brandy restaurant next to the hotel on State St. The food there was also very good.

This hotel worked out great for us as we attended two concerts at the Chicago Symphony Center which is just about 3 blocks away. We also visited Millennium Park which is two blocks over from the hotel. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 22, 2013

I had a great stay at the Palmer House Hilton during a last minute business trip. There were very few hotels with availability and Palmer was one of them. Since it was my first time in Chicago, I wanted to make sure that I choose a central location for everything, especially transportation. I arrived on a Saturday afternoon and easily took the subway’s blue line from O’Hare International Airport to the Monroe St. stop. The ride took about 40 minutes. The hotel is located a block from the Monroe stop.
The hotel lobby is beautiful, especially the ceilings! Check- in was fast, simple and easy! The front desk rep was very helpful and I was able to get an upgrade to a corner room on the Executive Level! The Executive Level offers a private lounge and daily complimentary continental breakfasts, snacks and hors d’oeuvres. There is bartender service available as well. The level also has its own private elevators!
Upon entering my room, I was quite pleased. I had more than enough room and the full size bed suited me fine as a solo traveler. The bathroom was quite small, but it’s not like I’m spending the majority of my time in there. The corner room had two windows, with one having a small view of Lake Michigan, a desk, small table and flat screen TV atop a drawer unit. The room and bathroom were clean and everything well stocked. Since it is a historic hotel, not everything is pristine, i.e. part of corner wall paper peeling. But those cosmetic things don’t matter to me as long as the room, especially the bed and bathroom, are clean. I slept well each night as the bed was pretty comfortable and the sheets pretty soft!
The location was absolutely perfect! It was located near public transportation but just as easy to walk around the city. You’re about a block from Grant and Millennium Park, Michigan Avenue and a couple blocks from the Willis Tower. Even walking to the Chicago River was quite easy and not as far as it looks. Shopping, restaurants, and the theater district are right around the corner on State Street. The hotel also has its own Starbucks downstairs, which is so convenient when you are trying to get to a 7am conference!
My room was always kept clean and found all the staff I encountered very helpful. The hotel is in a central location for whatever you are interested in! Transportation is easy to get to, whether it was the bus, subway or taxi. Overall, I had a great stay and would return, either for business or pleasure!

Roseville
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Central location is great. Walking distance to many attractions and restaurants. L is steps away. Lobby is magnificent, however, I'm not sleeping in the lobby. Rooms are average for the age of the property. I had a room on the 10th floor which overlooked an adjacent building. However, that meant no L noise or traffic noise. Rooms are small and clean but tired. All staff--at front desk, security, bellman, housekeeping--are very friendly and responsive.
Biggest complaint I have is that many of the electrical outlets were loose when I plugged in--had to search around (behind the headboard) to find one that wasn't loose. Otherwise, a very nice, but not awesome, property.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 21, 2013

This is a historic hotel with some great features. The lobby is gorgeous, especially the highly decorated ceiling, and is worth a visit even if you aren't staying in the hotel. The service was especially good, including the bellman, the housekeeping staff, the concierge, the front desk, etc. When our electronic keys unaccountably stopped working, a passing hotel employee noticed we had a problem and immediately engaged in resolving it, although I'm sure that wasn't her job or the reason she was in that hallway. I had breakfast in the Lockwood restaurant a few times. It was the standard hotel buffet breakfast, well prepared and pleasant but with no special features. The location is very convenient to transit and most attractions, so worth overlooking the small size of the rooms.

1 Thank gkq
Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

In town for a conference. I heard great things from people who had never stayed there- the reputation was good. I booked a king, was given a full sized bed. When I said that was not ok I was "upgraded" to a queen. Got to the room. 10th floor, gloomy and yes, a full sized bed. A call to the front desk resulted in "I'll have the head of housekeeping come measure the bed". Umm...not service!! A trip to the front desk resulted in the king sized room I should have had all along.
My towels weren't replaced each day despite me following the "put it on the floor to be replaced"rule.
I was charged for 4 days of parking and I didn't have a car.
At check out I spoke w Vera te manager on duty. She made me feel heard and took care of the issues. She comped me a nights stay and corrected the bill.
I loved Chicago and will be back...just not to the palmer house or a Hilton.

• Stayed June 2013