“Nice place to stay”

The Palmer House Hilton
Ranked #100 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Stayed here for a business trip. Nice clean rooms. Comfortable beds. Clean. Only downside was could hear my neighbor talk on phone in the bathroom as vents are connected. Could also see light from their bathroom. Room service is very pricey here.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for The Palmer House Hilton

Reviewed March 24, 2013

Check in was a breeze they had my room ready early so we could drop our bags and head out for the city. The concierges were all very helpful. The one gentleman I do not know his name but you cannot miss him with his bow tie. Told us about eleventh st diner for breakfast was a hit. The room was very clean and all staff very polite.
Would certainly return.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 23, 2013

This use to be one of my favorite Chicago Hiltons. It appears I wasn't the only one with complaints staying there St Patricks weekend.

The location is great and the staff is friendly. But breakfast is an important part of my hotel stays. As a diamond with Hilton you are to get a continental breakfast (many properties give diamonds a full breakfast) and if there is a lounge they can serve breakfast there instead.

My last two stays I have to take my breakfast back to my room because I couldn't even find a seat. This past stay I was on 23 so it wasn't as big of a deal but it is a pain if you to try to carry food to your room on another floor.

When I am promised breakfast/lounge access, I expect that to mean I will have a seat. As another poster mentioned they are giving ALL golds lounge access. Seeing you can obtain gold with just a credit card, this is really contributing to the lounge overcrowding. Golds are only to get access if they are on the exec floor. They need to start limiting lounge access to people on the exec floors and diamonds to keep the crowding down. Or better yet, give diamonds a better breakfast alternative and I wouldnt care about the lounge overcrowding.

They also need to bring back the diamond check in desk or limit the HHonors line to diamonds and crew members. I had to wait over 15 minutes in line and then when my key needed recoding I had to wait 10 minutes in line.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jamesteroh
Reviewed March 23, 2013

As a Chicago native I always enjoy when I get to return home and stay at any number of hotels in the Downtown area. I would avoid this nickel and dime hotel at all cost. First you get charged for parking (which is not atypical in Chicago, but a sky high rate), then you are charged for internet (wake up management....no one charges for room wifi anymore and certainly not at $14.00 a day!), then if you are an active person you have to pay to use the gym and pool!! (Seriously! A hotel that asked me to pay $10.00 to use a pool or treadmill?! And this was per day too!), and good thing I am from here and know where to get gooood cheap food or else the restaurant would hammer you for a $6.00 box of cereal and a $20.00 omelet! Pick your hotel wisely, lesson learned from this landmark.

• Stayed: March 2013
3  Thank Nlouis1983
HiltonPalmerHouse, Manager at The Palmer House Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. All of our Gold and Diamond Hilton Honor members receive complementary access to the Internet, and fitness center (includes Silver members). We provide complementary Internet access for all of our guests in the hotel’s lobby. Also, parking rates run similar to other hotels in the area. Again, thank you and I apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced.

Dardan Mehmeti

Reviewed March 22, 2013

Very easy access from train to hotel. My husband and myself arrived early around 900am expecting we would have to put bags away and roam city till room available. We were pleasantly surprised a room was available. We were advised when we booked it was for a Queen size bed. My husband is a little wide, so the nice lady upgraded us to a King.
She was very helpful. Lobby beautiful
The room was a bit small but not a big deal, reed prior reviews about some large and some small and not a concern.
Very clean, decorated nice. Perfect.
The Starbucks, downstairs bar, and access to so many places near hotel was such a plus. My husband was sick. I had no worries running across street to CVS late at night to get him cold medicine.
And B and B restaurant down the block was great for breakfast. Nice service and quick if in a hurry. Recommend strongly

Room Tip: we had 14-242 and loved it, Not a perfect view...but was just fine
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 22, 2013

The Palmer House is a breathtaking, lavish hotel reminiscent of the glamour of old. This historic setting in downtown Chicago is amazing and the service and accommodations leaving you feeling like one of the rich and famous!!

• Stayed: March 2013
HiltonPalmerHouse, Manager at The Palmer House Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2013

Dear Guest,

I’m happy to hear you had a delightful stay at the Palmer House. We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback, and we hope you will have an opportunity to visit again.

Dardan Mehmeti

Reviewed March 21, 2013

We booked this hotel for a long weekend in Chicago. It is a historic hotel with an impressive lobby and the location is ideal, but that's about where the redeeming qualities of this place end. Even though most of the rooms are recently renovated, they still feel tired and run down with peeling wallpaper, missing handles on furniture, stained curtains, and an extensive and varied collection of body hair sprinkled about the room (on sheets, in tub, on carpet). Also, be very specific about the makeup of your party when booking. We booked two rooms for five adults in our party (4/1) and were given two rooms with two beds. Apparently, they feel a king size bed and a cot (which, incidentally did not physically fit in the room), is an acceptable sleeping arrangement for four adults. Also, late into the evening, a guest from a neighboring room, intoxicated and in his "tightie whities" in the hallway, knocked on the door wanting in and asking our party to call security for him to help him find his room. Granted, it makes for a good chuckle now, but that's the type of thing you will put up with at this hotel. We got this location through one of those "secret hotel" websites where you don't find out what it is until you book. Be forewarned that this is a huge hotel and therefore is likely to be what you get in the Theater District/The Loop when using those sites. This is not a true four star hotel and I will not stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends