“Okay but not great”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Evansville, Indiana
“Okay but not great”
Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with my wife for a Valentines weekend get away because of the nightly rate and the hotel's convenient location in the theatre district, great restaurants, and shopping. I was less than impressed by the customer service by the staff, especially the valet and bell men who were not always present when we would arrive at the hotel. I even had to go inside to the front desk to ask for the valet and the reaction of the front desk clerk was as if I had interrupted her. Other than the staff issues, the hotel was fine, the room is rather small and outdated, but the hotel is historic and in a premium location.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MattnBrandi
HiltonPalmerHouse, Manager at The Palmer House Hilton, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience. I apologize on behalf of the hotel’s staff for any reaction that may have made you feel unwelcomed. I’m delighted to hear you chose to spend Valentines Day at our hotel, and I hope you and your wife still enjoyed your special day.

Dardan Mehmeti

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,768)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
ucliz
Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

The lobby is beautiful, but other than that it's just average. Our room was clean, but very small. The window view wassteward other rooms. I have stayed in nicer roadside motels. The location was good, but I would not go out of my way to stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013
Lansing, KS
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I always like staying in the Palmer House. We visit Chicago at least once a year and this is the first place I always look when booking a room. It is a beautiful old hotel but yet the rooms for the most part have been updated with all the modern conveniences. Free wireless internet would be a plus but having it for a fee seems to be typical in this type of hotel. The location is great with easy access to the L, walking distance to Michigan Avenue and lots of restaurants nearby.

Our King room was on the small side but as we weren't in there much it didn't matter. The only complaint I have about the room was I believe there might be a water issue in the bathroom. There appeared to be a slight musty or earthy smell in there and I think water might be getting into the walls around the tiles in the shower. We kept the bathroom door shut when not using it and that eliminated any odor in our room. We've stayed here several times and this was the first time I've had a room with this problem.

Overall I love this place with all it's history and definately will be back!

Room Tip: I would recommend not staying in room 20-209 unless the bathroom is repaired.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 2, 2013

The Palmer House is an historic hotel in a great location in downtown Chicago which has been purchased by Hilton. The location provides easy access to downtown highlights, and is within easy walking distance to Millenium Park. Shopping is not however really within walking distance. The Palmer House is situated close to the subway though, so shopping the Magnificent Mile is quite easy and just a few stops away.

Our friend said it had the best gymnasium she had ever seen in a hotel. We utilised the free continental breakfast provided with our room, however in my view it was just adequate - and a few more selections would have been more appropriate.

In my view, food options close by are a little limited.
We were also on a high floor but still heard quite a bit of street noise and rail noise, so I would suggest requesting a high floor when you book.

Our friends had a large room with two ensuites - and this would definitely be our recommendation if you can manage it.

All in all, I would stay here again and am happy to recommend this hotel to you.

Room Tip: Must have a high floor to minimise street noise.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Camden, Delaware
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Class, tradition, character, elegance, location. I love the Palmer House!! I feel like a big shot whenever I stay there. The lobby is grand and particularly awesome. The ceiling reminds me of the Sistine chapel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
HiltonPalmerHouse, Manager at The Palmer House Hilton, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing a review on the Palmer House. We appreciate you sharing a review and value your feedback. It is wonderful to hear you had a delightful experience at our hotel. We look forward to your next visit and wish you a safe travel to your next destination.

Dardan Mehmeti
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Beautiful hotel with many great places nearby, such as the art musuem, restaurants, and Route 66 start/end. Rooms were very nice. Recommend the rooms in the newer section as they are more spacious. 18th floor+

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed March 2, 2013

This hotel has a great vintage feel but updated in nice and yet historically correct way. Helpful note - if you have Hilton Honor status there is a check in line far to the right that is often shorter and by far the fastest.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family