But I have to take them with a grain of salt. We also stayed during theater week which means the place became packed at around 5:00PM on Saturday night.
There were 2 lines to check in and only 2 counters open. One counter was the Hilton Honors, for which you have to be a member, so the other line was probably about 60 people long. Certainly the hotel did not staff for this appropriately. We were HH members which means we waited about 5 minutes, but people who were not probably waited over an hour. That's just really poor and I think it's a one-off, but the hotel should be prepared to open up more front desk terminals....they had 3 empty ones....just no employees to man them apparently, this night.
Other than that, it's hard to complain, because what you get is what you would expect from a hotel that was built in 1875. What makes it charming and beautiful and historic for some makes it old fashioned, cramped, and inconvenient for others.
The rooms certainly are small in comparison to hotels that have been constructed in the last few decades, so if you need a lot of space, this hotel is not for you. However, all the amenities are there. They even have Tv's with HDMI at this point.
This hotel is very reasonably priced for the location and if you understand that this hotel is also kind of a historical landmark, your expectations will be set appropriately.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- North America’s most established hotel, the Palmer House Hilton first opened its doors in 1871 and has remained the place to "see and be seen" in downtown Chicago. We continue evolving to serve you with the latest conveniences and comforts in meetings, accommodations and dining - a hip and historic blend of modern nuances and Chicago cultural significance. Whether you’re holding a gala in the famed Empire Room or an intimate gathering in one of our hospitality suites, your event is sure to be a success. Here, you’ll be the host in the Chicago hotel that’s been the venue of choice for celebrities, politicians, and royalty for more than a century.When you come to the Palmer House Hilton, you don’t just stay here. You live here—even if it’s only for a night. That’s why all of our guest rooms and suites have just the right touches to make you feel right at home. You’ll sleep well on our Hilton Serenity Dream bed featuring a plush top mattress and crisp linens, lathering up with Peter Thomas Roth bath products, perceptual service and a full host of amenities to keeping you connected – from flat screen HD televisions, wired and wireless high-speed internet to alarm clocks with auxiliary ports, you’ll find everything you need to rest easy. Lockwood Restaurant, your Farm to Fork, AAA 4 Diamond destination open for breakfast, lunch and dinner as well as afternoon tea. The Lobby Bar at Lockwood is a favorite for locals and travelers alike for craft beers and craft cocktails with Palmer House private reserves and labels. Potter’s is the hip spot to enjoy a retro mix of perfectly poured libations and delectable light fare while reminiscing about the hotel’s history. The hotel is walking distance to the Blue Line and the Orange Line “L” stations for quick transport to O’Hare International Airport and Midway Airport, respectively. The Palmer House Hilton is steps to all the action along State Street including Macy’s, Nordstrom Rack, American Apparel, H&M, Block 37 Mall and the Chicago Theatre. The hotel is also a short walk to The Art Institute, Joffrey Ballet, Cadillac Theatre, Jeweler’s Row, Millennium Park, John G. Shedd Aquarium, Field Museum and Adler Planetarium. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hilton Hotels Direct, Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, HotelPower, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, HotelsforEveryone, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your The Palmer House Hilton reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Palmer House Hilton Hotel Chicago
- Hilton Hotel Chicago
- Hilton Hotel Palmer
- Palmer House Chicago
- Chicago Palmer House Hilton
- Palmer House Hilton Chicago
- Palmer Hilton House
- Hilton Chicago
- Chicago Hilton