“Gorgeous Hotel”

Palmer House A Hilton Hotel
Ranked #103 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I stayed at the Palmer House for a Business conference. It was a great experience, but somewhat difficult to get a cab during peak hours. The rooms were nice and the lobby was charming. There was even a dog show while I was there.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Jessica M
Write a ReviewReviews (9,349)

Reviewed February 5, 2013

I booked a room at the famous Palmer House Chicago thru Priceline. The lobby is stunning and that's about as good as this hotel gets. I don't know if I got a special " Priceline " downgraded room for the cheapskates like me, but ill get to the room later.
First off, The front desk was nice enough, even though they were only tending to the Hilton honors club line at check in. Leaving people in the regular line to fend for themselves. I've seen this before at other hotels and don't get why they have these special lines. Knowing that theyd probably continue to ignore the less than honorable people in the regular line, I jumped into the "honors" line to check in. They rest of the gang in the regular seemed to figure out too and followed me over.
On to my room, first impression is this place is old and falling apart. Plus side is my room is huge. Downside is it was gross. Peeling wallpaper all over the place. Stains on the walls in all types of colors, Red stain here, brown stain there. Lampshade has been abused, showing cracks all over. Bathroom small and shower moldy. Glass soap holder falling off the wall, it's so bad they put the complementry soap under the sink! I thought my room would be super quiet, being an older hotel. But no, paper thin walls.
I can't believe that they'd still rent out a room like this at a "four star" flagship Hilton, But they do. Conrad would be rolling in his grave if he saw this. I'm sorry for being harsh, but step it up Hilton.

• Stayed: February 2013
4  Thank D L
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Stayed here Friday night and upgraded to executive floor to get a room with 2 bathrooms to make getting ready Saturday easier. THe lobby is worth visiting even if you're not staying here, really beautiful. The rooms are very large, nicely furnished and everything is first rate. Executive floor includes a lounge with hors d'oeuvres, which was nice because it was 12 degrees and snowing outside. Breakfast included on executive floor was good, the pastries were very good. The location is perfect easy walk to Art Institute, Millineum Park, Miracle Mile Elevated right outside. I particularly enjoy the photos which line the hallways of all the celebrities that have performed in the hotel lounge over the years.
My only complaints ares the beds are small and no free wifi in room: Why they put a double bed in a fine hotel is beyond me. We stayed the following night in a Hilton Garden Inn and the beds were queen size. The Palmer House is supposed to be a 4 star hotel so why scrimp on the bed size? It makes no sense. Also charging for wifi is just cheap and petty. Again, why does Hilton give guests free wifi at their Hilton Garden Inns yet charge for it at the Palmer House?

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 5, 2013

We stayed here with our two children the weekend of Jan 18 - 20. My husband and son went to a Bulls Game and my daughter and I went to see the Book of Mormon. The location of the hotel is excellent as long as you can walk a little. The theatre is practcally right next to the Palmer House and a cab ride to the Bulls Stadium was only $13.00. We also walked to all the great shopping on Michigan Avenue.

The architecture of this hotel is so beautiful and our room was wonderful. I booked the Executive Level double room and was very pleased when I was offered an Executive Level Double with two bathrooms at no extra cost. The room was perfect size and it was great to have two closets and two bathrooms. The bathrooms are small but they provide a large glass table next to the second bathroom which was more than enough room for our toiletries, curling irons etc. The Executive Level "appetizers" were very good as was the continental breakfast. My only complaint was that a glass of wine was $9.00, the same price as the lobby bar downstairs. I guess I figured I'd get some kind of a break on the cost as we paid "extra" for the Executive Level. All in all I love this hotel. If you like a big city hotel experience, this is the place.

Room Tip: If you come with four people, splurge and get a room with two bathrooms!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 5, 2013

It seems lke every time I go to the Palmer House, Al Capone is right around the corner.

Like so many grand dames of the hotel industry, the Palmer House has aged well, The expansive lobby is worth a visit if you are nearby. It is a hub of activity, bars, restaurants, shops, people moving a just below brisk level, the speed of a busy but well heeled traveler who knows that they will get there.

The hotel is well located, close enough to the business district but even better for that after work, out door jog or walk. The facilities are typical Chicago-style, more than ample, large and small spaces, ability to accomodate, movem fed and clean thousands of people every day.

For me however there is an old city feel to this very moderm facilty. Modern is it service, ability to serve and not be seen, and to manage the flwo of people. Old feel howeever is from the well appointed rooms, carpeted hallways, dark woodd that brings a warmth. Don't let the Hilton name fool you into thinking this is another cookie cutter hotel, it was a Hilton long before equity firms ran the hotels....

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the Palmer House Hilton, which we booked online at a bargain price.

We were happy to find that the hotel was really hopping, even in Chicago in February: on the weekend we stayed there was a debutante ball, and we enjoyed sitting in the elaborate second-floor Beaux Arts lobby drinking cocktails ("mocktails" for my daughter) and watching the girls go past in their beautiful dresses.

Because the Palmer House is so huge, there's a great diversity of guests despite the luxurious feel. We saw well-dressed people of all ages and backgrounds enjoying the atmosphere.

Service was excellent, particularly the concierge, and we enjoyed a room-service hamburger the first night. Our inexpensive room was large and attractive, although it had some small maintenance challenges - dust bunnies under the bed, wallpaper peeling off the walls, a broken bathtub stopper.

In general, the housekeeping staff may need some management adjustments - we had a housekeeper walk into our room unannounced and without knocking at 630pm, while we were in bed watching the Super Bowl.

But the beds were clean, soft and comfortable, and the room was generally quiet and good for sleeping. Our only big quarrel, as with other posters, was the ridiculous $13.99 per day charge for wireless access.

We liked the Palmer House very much, and would be interested in staying here again on future trips to Chicago.

Room Tip: Choose a quiet room away from the elevators, since there are a lot of people walking through this bi...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 4, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Palmer House on January 25, 2013. We pre-booked our room and paid for it using the BOOKIT service. We parked down there and paid for our parking with my charge card. I get automatic notifications on all my charge cards when they are used, so when I was notified that I was charged for the room again, I called the Hotel. I faxed them all the neccessary paperwork, and they said the charge would be removed. However as of today February 4, 2013 the charges in question have not been removed. This is why I am only giving them a poor rating. The accomodations other than that were very good, however very expensive to eat there.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple