“Just can't fault the place”
Review of Omni Chicago Hotel

Omni Chicago Hotel
Ranked #36 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed September 11, 2009

Having stayed at many hotels downtown, the Omni has to be the best, location, comfort and a great welcome. The suite was perfect for us on an extended Labor Day weekend, the knowledge of the Concierge was tried and tested over and over. Being a select guest, Coffee was delivered each morning without fail (he NEEDS his coffee). Everything we needed was right on our doorstep and it was like returning home each day. We could go on and on. All I can personally say is Stay at the Omni....you WON'T regret it.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Omni_Manager, Manager at Omni Chicago Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2009

We all need our coffee, and we’re happy to provide it to your door when you request it when you sign up for our free Select Guest program. Thanks for the great review. We hope to see you soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,638)

Reviewed September 7, 2009

We just returned from a 5-day stay at the Omni, and our expectations were definitely exceeded. When we arrived, the doorman immediately took our luggage/carseats/baby gear, which is substantial when you are on a 2-week trip with an 18-month old and a 4-year old. When we walked up to the front desk, the woman immediately greeted us by name! She gave each of our kids their own little backpack filled with toys and goodies for their trip. They were just thrilled.

We ordered room service that night, and it was delicious -- we had the sausage pizza for only $18, and it was huge and delicious -- enough for dinner and leftovers for lunch the following day. Room service called an hour and a half later to make sure that the food was to our liking, and that our dishes had been picked up (WOW).

The next morning my husband took the kids to speak with Melissa, the concierge on duty that morning...she was AMAZING! She not only was a wealth of information, but incredibly friendly. She also picked up that we were celebrating our anniversary, and when we returned from the Cubs game that day, a piece of flourless chocolate cake, four chocolate covered strawberries, and Evian water was waiting for us with a handwritten card from us. We were stunned!

The hotel itself is on the best part of Michigan Avenue, and is truly steps to everything, including the subway and bus service, which is clean and easy.

The rest of our stay was great. There were always employees around in case we needed any information, and everyone was extremely friendly and helpful. We could not be happier. There is a construction site right next to the hotel, but it wasn't noisy and our kids love to watch the excavator work every day.

I had called ahead of our arrival to have the room baby-proofed, and housekeeping told me it would be taken care of us. Unfortunately it wasn't, but it didn't out to be an issue for us. The only other possible concerns I might convey about the hotel is the lack of a small fridge (we used the mini-bar) and microwave, and the proximity to the Northwestern campus hospital (we heard a lot of ambulances at night). Again, these didn't really turn out to be issues for us, and you're going to get noise anywhere you stay on the Magnificent Mile.

Overall, we loved our stay and will definitely come back to the Omni. The rooms were exceptionally clean and well cared for during our stay. The staff could have been any better, and the location was perfect. Thanks for a great vacation in beautiful and fun Chicago!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
Omni_Manager, Manager at Omni Chicago Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2009

We’re so glad you decided to stay with us during your five-night vacation in Chicago. It’s great to hear such positive comments about the hotel, especially comments that mention people by name. We will make sure to pass along your comments to Melissa. She and our whole concierge team are very knowledgeable and are great at taking care of the details for your entertainment arrangements. We look forward to seeing you again when you return on your next visit to Chicago.

Reviewed September 6, 2009

I picked this hotel solely based on the positive reviews on TA - excellent service, extra perks, friendly people, minimal problems etc. Unfortunately that was not so for my boyfriend & I. We planned & prepaid this trip 6-7 months ago, but it was years in the making. This was the 20th anniversary of my return to Chicago. I was moved away from my beloved home town at the age of 12 & was now returning for the 1st time in 20 years to celebrate my 32nd birthday. When we prepaid 6-7 months ago, I made sure to call the hotel directly to let them know that I was a Select Guest member, I had a voucher for a free room upgrade, & that this was a special occassion. I called 1 month prior & 1 week prior to arrival to confirm everything & I was assured that everything was set as well as me receiving a room upgrade. The plan was to have a corner room with views & possibly have a special in room dinner to enjoy the views. On our day of arrival, we had 4 bags & no one offered to help us. We had to haul everything into the hotel ourselves. We stood in the lobby w/ all our luggage for awhile waiting to check in only to be told check-in was on the 3rd floor - still no offer to help w/our bags. We get to check in & I gave the woman our room upgrade voucher & explained that we were Select Guest members & she said the hotel was sold out & could not upgrade us but assured us that we had an excellent room. As a Select Guest member, I had requested a room away from the elevator on a high floor. We get to our room & not only are we the closest room to the elevator, our room is right next to the ice machine room. The constant sound of people getting ice as early as 6am & as late as 2am was loud & annoying & right behind our heads as we tried to sleep. On our 2nd morning day there, I noticed we were still not recieving our morning beverages or newspaper. I called down to the front desk & a very rude man explained that I should have gotten vouchers for that service at check in & that there was nothing he could for us that morning. We had to wait until the following morning to receive what I had already prearranged. There were also a few times I called down to the front desk to cancel turn down service, get messages, etc only to be left on hold for 10 minutes & no one ever came back on the line. I guess I'll never know what messages I had. Since I wasnt able to get in touch w/ anyone to cancel the turndown service, I let housekeeping know when they arrived that it wouldnt be necessary for that evening only for them to return 3 more times & interrupt our evening. Suffice to stay, this hotel was very frustrating. The only positive about the hotel is that we were able to get a late check out, which I believe was the least they could do. Fortunately every aspect of our trip was excellent - everything we had preplanned/prepaid for went accordingly. Chicago is a fun city & we will be making this an annual trip. Unfortunately, I dont think the Omni will be any part of those. Compared to the other reviews here on TA, I feel like we were treated as though we were a nuisance than as guests. There are tons of hotels in this area of Chicago so I'm sure it won't be a problem. Plus with that huge construction site that is just starting next door, I doubt this will be a peaceful place to come back to relax to. We give our trip 5 stars, but our stay at the Omni 2 stars. We never did do our special in-room dinner since we did not receieve the room we requested. We had high expectations & were very much looking forward to staying here, but this not only left us disappointed, but I personally felt very very sad as well.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Solful1
K_Burnett, Management Representative at Omni Chicago Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2009

Thank you for your feedback. We regret that we could not accommodate your request for an upgrade due to being oversold. As a select guest member, you should have received a doorknob menu for every night of your stay. It's part of your key packet and is easy to overlook if it's not pointed out to you at check in. We have reviewed your comments with our team to reinforce the process. We strive to meet and exceed every guests expectations and hope that we have an opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed August 30, 2009

Location is perfect. Spacious. Very clean. Great view from 18th floor. There was a construction site right next door to the hotel but we never heard it. You really had to strain to look down to see it. Loved having two televisions so I did not have to watch sports highlights all morning with hubby;-) Free WiFi with select guest was priceless in helping to navigate our daily activities. Each morning we got two complimentary beverages and a newspaper of our choice. The king bed was really comfy. The bathroom was well equipped. Lots of toiletries, the extra towels we requested and great water pressure. Chairs were comfortable. Did not use the wet bar or mini bar but if we needed to it was well equipped. There were two sets of elevators to get to our room but we never had to wait more than one minute for an elevator. It felt like extra security. Staff was attentive but not smothering. Only complaint I have is that the temperature was difficult to regulate. In order for the room to stay cool the way we like it, we had to leave the fan on. The auto setting did not seem to work, or at least I couldn't work it. It is a minor complaint and is way over-shadowed by all the wonderful things. Would definately stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wendy B

We’re glad we were able to save you from Sports Center, but more importantly we’re glad you had a great time at the hotel. In the event that the auto setting on the AC isn’t working properly please let the front desk know and we will send engineering up to take a look or facilitate a room change if possible. We want everyone who stays with us to be as comfortable as possible. Please come visit us again next time you are in Chicago.

Reviewed August 30, 2009

My family and I just returned from a short stay at the Omni Chicago. The staff at this hotel goes above and beyond to make sure you have an enjoyable experience. Every staff person we met was helpful and had a smile on their face. I was traveling with two small children under the age of two which can be difficult at times. The hotel staff did all the little things that make traveling easier. i.e. holding the elevator as you try and load two strollers. Upon arrival my children received small backpacks with toys as a small gift which was great for my 2 year old. Each time we made a special request, like extra pillows or a crib, you received a follow-up call about 30 minutes later making sure you received everything. (Something you don't find at most hotels.)

The hotel is in a fabulous location on Michigan Ave. We stayed in the Governor's Suite which was a real treat. It was one of the largest suites we have ever been in and is well worth the splurge. It makes suites at the Ritz Carlton look tiny. Overall the hotel is great in every way. I have stayed at several of the luxury hotels in Chicago (Ritz, Four Seasons, and Fairmont) and this hotel has service that is above these hotels or at least you get a genuine smile from all of the staff unlike the forced niceness you find at other luxury hotels.

Save yourself some money or splurge on a larger suite at the Omni Chicago. You won't be disappointed. We will make this our new hotel in Chicago for family trips.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Omni_Manager, Manager at Omni Chicago Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2009

Genuine smiles, kids bags, follow up calls – thanks for all the compliments. We’re so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. It can be hard traveling with kids, and we try to make it as easy as possible for our guests. We appreciate you taking the time to write this review and we look forward to seeing you and your family at the hotel soon.

Reviewed August 30, 2009

We just got back from a weeklong familiy vacation--family of 4 with 2 kids, ages 7 & 10--and really enjoyed our stay at the Omni. The room was a good size for our family although we didn't spend much time in it aside from sleeping. The kids liked the pool and were happy to splash around each morning before heading out for the day. We all loved the free beverages that came with the Select Guest program--the kids especially liked to change it up, getting hot chocolate one morning and cranberry juice the next. The breakfast buffet at 676 was pretty good but the regular menu was better. We had a delicious room service breakfast one morning! Kids got a special "kid pack" when we checked in, complete with milk and cookies which was a really sweet touch. Location was great--right on the Mag Mile and about one block from the bus stop that goes right to Museum Campus (Shedd, Adler, Field) and the Museum of Science and Industry. About a 10 minute walk to the nearest Red Line subway which was very easy. Walking distance to Water Tower, John Hancock (which we could see from our window), Navy Pier, Oak Street beach, and loads of places to eat and shop. Definitely recommend it!

Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family

Another satisfied customer who traveled with their family. Thank you for letting our TripAdvisor readers know that we are a great hotel for any age guest. We hope you had a great time exploring the museums and enjoying downtown Chicago during your stay. Come back again soon.

Reviewed August 27, 2009

I have been a guest at this Omni in the past and would definitely stay again in the future. I mentioned upon booking and check-in that this trip was my gift to my husband for his birthday. The evening of our arrival, we received a surprise tray "from the house", arranged by Jennifer at the front desk, containing a bottle of sparkling wine, a delicious & generously sized piece of bittersweet chocolate cake and a birthday card. It was such an unexpected and appreciated gesture, that I think it was the highlight of this Chicago weekend!! All staff was extremely helpful and friendly. Steve(n) was wonderful, and offered us a number of suggestions regarding neighborhoods to investigate (based on what we described as our interests) as well as the best way to get there and eateries en route. He was always right on target. We arrived at the hotel expecting to just check our bags until the room was ready due to the early arrival of our train. Instead, we were able to check-in immediately and were also granted a late check-out although we didn't need it after all upon departure. We were very pleased with every aspect of our 23rd floor room: cleanliness, spaciousness, comfort, noise level, free wifi, great shower/tub, roomy work area, complimentary morning beverages & paper delivered to the room. It was well-equipped and we slept very well on the excellent mattress and pillows. My husband who usually begins his day at 5:30 a.m. at home, was able to sleep in until about 8:30 while I luxuriated in a heavenly hot mineral spa bath each morning! These are the things that will bring us back! The only reason I did not give high ratings on "accuracy of bill" was this: our printed bill that was settled with automated check-out did not match up with the funds that would have been charged to my bank. A charge of $8.50 was added after the fact for the minibar, which we did not even investigate, much less use. Also a charge for both nights was "pending" in my account, which alarmed me as we had received a special rate of, buy one get one night free. This wasn't explained at the time, resulting in my calling the Omni Chicago to straighten it out. The accounting staff was very friendly and helpful in explaining the situation to my satisfaction. However, even after my call to the Omni and being told that the minibar charge would be removed, I see that it was processed today through my bank. All in all, it was a FANTASTIC stay - all that we had hoped for and more!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Omni_Manager, Manager at Omni Chicago Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2009

We’re so glad you chose to stay with us for your husband’s birthday. Jennifer takes care of lots of our return guests and does a great job. There are some great views from the 23rd floor. Steve is always quick to offer some great suggestions to our guests and Chicago has so many neighborhoods to explore that just one or two of them can keep you busy for a whole weekend. We do apologize for the mix up in the billing, but please contact us so we can correct the minibar charge. We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Chicago.