“Nice Hotel - Only two Complaints”
Review of Omni Chicago Hotel

Omni Chicago Hotel
Ranked #31 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
Columbus, Ohio
“Nice Hotel - Only two Complaints”
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Overall, the hotel was very nice. Our room was clean, quiet and comfortable. Most staff was very nice and accomodating, including Amiri at the concierge desk. My first complaint was about our initial room assignment. We were given a room overlooking a sun deck which had people laying out and walking around RIGHT outside our windows. There was NO privacy. It was even worse when the front desk attendant acted like she couldn't understand what was wrong with it. However we were put into a different room at our request and it was fine. In my opinion, that should be the last room assigned. Secondly, the WiFI did not work. We had an Ipad that we could not use. The technology assistants even admitted they had problems with I-products. To add insult, they charge by the minute to use the business center. But a great location on Michigan Ave!

Room Tip: Avoid the 5th floor.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Omni_Manager, Manager at Omni Chicago Hotel, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
We apologize for the initial room assignment, but we're glad we were able to reassign you to a room with more privacy. We're also sorry you had to deal with Wi-Fi connectivity issues. We're always working to improve connectivity and speed in the hotel. If there is an issue, we do have ethernet connections in the room, but of course that won't help with an iPad. We do have free Wi-Fi in the lobby and can also offer a wireless bridge that connects to the ethernet in your room to amplify the wireless signal.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Rooms are small but in the city that is to be expected. They do try hard to make all the accodimations warm and friendly. Food is fairly priced, and of good quality.

• Stayed July 2012
Reviewed July 5, 2012

I have stayed in Chicago, at least once a year, for the past 6 years (pleasure only, no business) The Omni was okay but not worth my Credit Card points. I accumulated many points and thought I would treat myself to this hotel, yet I was not impressed. Staff was so-so...restaurant was very good, but so are many other places on Michigan. I usually stay at the Intercontinental, and I love it there. Sure, Omni rooms are separated by a wall/door from living area (couch/pullout, desk, TV...very small) but not worth the cost nor my "frequent use" credit card points, let alone using cash. Also, wall paper peeling in places (ick) and dirty (indoor/outdoor quality carpet) dirty and somewhat tacky. Very disappointed;( I'll be staying at the Intercontinental from here on.

• Stayed June 2012
, Manager at Omni Chicago Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
We're sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay with us. We take pride in our housekeeping staff, but clearly we didn't meet our own standards when we allowed you to check into a room with dirty carpet. We apologize and will put more focus on this with our housekeeping team.
Elburn, IL
Reviewed July 5, 2012

My husband and I were looking for a place to stay to celebrate our anniversary in mid-June. Chicago hotel prices are crazy on summer weekends! We got a decent rate at the Omni through Hotwire and overall we were pleased with our experience. The room was absolutely huge with a separate living room and bedroom area. The bathroom was also a good size. Given the size of the room it seemed a little strange that the bedroom had a queen bed instead of a king. It was a hot day and the A/C was great - immediately responsive to our changes. We thought it was a little weird that there was no garbage can in the bathroom. We had to move the garbage can from the desk area.

We were given one of the rooms with the view of the wall of the building next door. This wasn't really a problem for us - as we are from the area we see the view all the time. If you are from out of town you might want to see if you can get a room with a view (maybe they save those for people who pay full price?).

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side face the wall of the buidling next door.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Illinois
Reviewed July 5, 2012

So during the next time I had to play 'Hotwire Roulette" during my power outage, I got assigned to the Omni. I ended up staying two days here (I'm getting ready to check out soon).because coincidentally I got this two times in a row on Hotwire.
No bad first impression here unlike the Drake - check in had absolutely no hassle. The room was ready and clean, nothing was broken, the front desk was staffed enough, ect.
The room service menu is much better than The Drake. It's not just boring, generic stuff. It is also really good for people with diet needs - I was able to get many things dairy free. Their service charge is 3 dollars unlijke The Drake's 6 dollars.
The internet is wifi which is a plus. If you sign up for the Omni's reward club thing it's free, unlike The Drake which only lets you have it free once you earn a certain amount of points. So you can hit the ground running with free internet.

But I think this hotel maybe should be 3.5 or 4 stars instead of 4.5 for the following reasons:
Decor: This place has sort of the generic hotel decor. You know what I'm talking about.
The TV - They have an HDTV, but not the reception for it, so you get worse pictures.
The bathroom - Nice that my shower head wasn't broken but the Hampton Inn in little ol' Dubuque IA is nicer for the bathroom all around. They are not 4.5 stars...they shouldn't have a nicer bathroom. For 4.5 stars, I think there should also be a soaking tub, or something slightly larger than what would be for bathing a toddler.
Mattress: Not as nice as what I have at home. It's not so bad it's problematic, but for 4.5 stars it really should be nice.
I think that just about covers it all - so my bottom line is that this stay was very satisfying, but is it a breathtakingly beautiful hotel that you will be writing home about? No. But you could do a lot worse in this city. So if you are rich, maybe you should spend a little extra for the Peninsula. If you aren't and you use Hotwire and end up here, you are really, really lucky.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Wilmington, Delaware, United States
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Front desk staff could be more hospitable and accomodating. Great housekeeping, bell and door staff. Broken sliding doors in the bathroom,maintenance came quickly to repair but broke again,needs major repair.

• Stayed June 2012
, Manager at Omni Chicago Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
We do apologize for the broken sliding door in your suite. But we certainly don't want any guest to feel welcome in the hotel. We'll be sure to pass these comments along to our front office manager.
South Hadley, MA
Reviewed June 27, 2012

We had a two night stay in room 517 which is a corner suite. Two rooms including bedroom with one king and a living area with sofa bed, desk, TV, and sink/honor bar. The bathroom shower had decent pressure and temperature control. TV channel selection was good, one tube TV in bedroom and flat screen in living room.

Room was very clean and enough room for two adults and one 7 year old. This room was in a bit of a weird location since the window behind the bed overlooked a patio.

Here are my pros and cons:
PROS:
- Room was clean
- bed was comfortable (sleeper sofa was not, but that is to be expected)
- Excellent location on the Magnificent Mile (10 minute walk to Red Line subway)
- good wifi signal for us.
- Pool toys. They had some pool toys, swimmies, and noodles for the kids to use which was an excellent touch.
- Room was very quiet

CONS:
- The sliding door from bedroom to bathroom did not work so great.
- Shower and temp bath control was a little loose, but not a big deal.
- Hot tub was under construction so there is a big box surrounding it where they are working
- Pool was cold and floor was very slippery when wet (although my 7yr old enjoyed the pool)

Most reviews already mention, but do yourself a favor and sign up for the Omni Select Guest program. Free Wifi plus morning beverage service delivered to your room just for being a member.

Did not try the restaurant.

Service was very good. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. The woman doing turn down service actually helped us with another issue in the room.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank germ
, Manager at Omni Chicago Hotel, responded to this review, June 29, 2012
Our hot tub construction is nearing completion. In the meantime we have an arrangement with a nearby hotel for guests who still would like to use a hot tub. We're glad your stay was very good overall and hope that you'll stay with us again in the future.