“Huge room, Great Location.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Omni Chicago Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Omni Chicago Hotel
Ranked #31 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Elburn, IL
“Huge room, Great Location.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012

My husband and I were looking for a place to stay to celebrate our anniversary in mid-June. Chicago hotel prices are crazy on summer weekends! We got a decent rate at the Omni through Hotwire and overall we were pleased with our experience. The room was absolutely huge with a separate living room and bedroom area. The bathroom was also a good size. Given the size of the room it seemed a little strange that the bedroom had a queen bed instead of a king. It was a hot day and the A/C was great - immediately responsive to our changes. We thought it was a little weird that there was no garbage can in the bathroom. We had to move the garbage can from the desk area.

We were given one of the rooms with the view of the wall of the building next door. This wasn't really a problem for us - as we are from the area we see the view all the time. If you are from out of town you might want to see if you can get a room with a view (maybe they save those for people who pay full price?).

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side face the wall of the buidling next door.
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (379)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012

So during the next time I had to play 'Hotwire Roulette" during my power outage, I got assigned to the Omni. I ended up staying two days here (I'm getting ready to check out soon).because coincidentally I got this two times in a row on Hotwire.
No bad first impression here unlike the Drake - check in had absolutely no hassle. The room was ready and clean, nothing was broken, the front desk was staffed enough, ect.
The room service menu is much better than The Drake. It's not just boring, generic stuff. It is also really good for people with diet needs - I was able to get many things dairy free. Their service charge is 3 dollars unlijke The Drake's 6 dollars.
The internet is wifi which is a plus. If you sign up for the Omni's reward club thing it's free, unlike The Drake which only lets you have it free once you earn a certain amount of points. So you can hit the ground running with free internet.

But I think this hotel maybe should be 3.5 or 4 stars instead of 4.5 for the following reasons:
Decor: This place has sort of the generic hotel decor. You know what I'm talking about.
The TV - They have an HDTV, but not the reception for it, so you get worse pictures.
The bathroom - Nice that my shower head wasn't broken but the Hampton Inn in little ol' Dubuque IA is nicer for the bathroom all around. They are not 4.5 stars...they shouldn't have a nicer bathroom. For 4.5 stars, I think there should also be a soaking tub, or something slightly larger than what would be for bathing a toddler.
Mattress: Not as nice as what I have at home. It's not so bad it's problematic, but for 4.5 stars it really should be nice.
I think that just about covers it all - so my bottom line is that this stay was very satisfying, but is it a breathtakingly beautiful hotel that you will be writing home about? No. But you could do a lot worse in this city. So if you are rich, maybe you should spend a little extra for the Peninsula. If you aren't and you use Hotwire and end up here, you are really, really lucky.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Wilmington, Delaware, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

Front desk staff could be more hospitable and accomodating. Great housekeeping, bell and door staff. Broken sliding doors in the bathroom,maintenance came quickly to repair but broke again,needs major repair.

• Stayed June 2012
, Manager at Omni Chicago Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
We do apologize for the broken sliding door in your suite. But we certainly don't want any guest to feel welcome in the hotel. We'll be sure to pass these comments along to our front office manager.
South Hadley, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2012

We had a two night stay in room 517 which is a corner suite. Two rooms including bedroom with one king and a living area with sofa bed, desk, TV, and sink/honor bar. The bathroom shower had decent pressure and temperature control. TV channel selection was good, one tube TV in bedroom and flat screen in living room.

Room was very clean and enough room for two adults and one 7 year old. This room was in a bit of a weird location since the window behind the bed overlooked a patio.

Here are my pros and cons:
PROS:
- Room was clean
- bed was comfortable (sleeper sofa was not, but that is to be expected)
- Excellent location on the Magnificent Mile (10 minute walk to Red Line subway)
- good wifi signal for us.
- Pool toys. They had some pool toys, swimmies, and noodles for the kids to use which was an excellent touch.
- Room was very quiet

CONS:
- The sliding door from bedroom to bathroom did not work so great.
- Shower and temp bath control was a little loose, but not a big deal.
- Hot tub was under construction so there is a big box surrounding it where they are working
- Pool was cold and floor was very slippery when wet (although my 7yr old enjoyed the pool)

Most reviews already mention, but do yourself a favor and sign up for the Omni Select Guest program. Free Wifi plus morning beverage service delivered to your room just for being a member.

Did not try the restaurant.

Service was very good. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. The woman doing turn down service actually helped us with another issue in the room.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank germ
, Manager at Omni Chicago Hotel, responded to this review, June 29, 2012
Our hot tub construction is nearing completion. In the meantime we have an arrangement with a nearby hotel for guests who still would like to use a hot tub. We're glad your stay was very good overall and hope that you'll stay with us again in the future.
New York, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2012

We stayed here for five nights on our mini-vacation. The hotel couldn't be better located, just steps away from everything-- we walked everywhere. The staff is friendly, professional and willing to help with anything needed. Rooms are spacious, very clean and the beds are comfortable (yes, they could use some updating, but clean is way more important to me). The place is understated and upscale without being glitzy, which is the type of hotel that generally appeals to me. Restaurant is very nice for breakfast, and the lounge is quite pleasant for a drink after a day of sightseeing. The loyalty program not only offers free internet, but free coffee/tea delivered to the room in the morning, as well as both a New York Times and a Chicago Tribune.

My only gripe whatsoever is that while the concierge service is quite good, their hours don't seem to be long enough. When we looked for the concierge at 5:30 pm for a recommendation for a local wine bar for a light dinner, we were told she had left for the day. I found it strange there was no one around at early dinner hour to make dinner suggestions. The woman at the front desk graciously tried to help us, but she didn't know what a wine bar is! This was not a major hassle, but it is an area that I think a hotel of this caliber should address.

All in all, a great stay and a recommended hotel.

Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2012

I have stayed at the Omni off an on over the years. On business, for personal trips. This trip started off quite rocky, and left me very un-impressed.

1) Be aware, they have a new policy where they charge debit card $55 per day for "incidentals" which you *may* incur. They do this if you elect not to use a standard credit card. Even if you have booked and paid for your room in advance. The desk clerk claimed "all the hotels do this now"...funny how when I put a remote employee at the O'Hare hilton on my business debit card, I was never asked for additional funds. Having a policy is one thing, spreading blame for it is another. While not a problem for me, someone who plans trips down to the dollar and dime might encounter a problem with this "policy" of theirs. To my knowledge, they never did this sort of thing before. (I don't use Credit Cards, its why I have money in a recession. =))

2) Rooms were clean, but their in room accoutrements and mini bar items had no price list. The only thing labelled with a price was a bottle of water (about 600 ML) for $7.50. As such, be careful with the tray of goodies. If the water is $7.50, imagine what the snickers bar might cost.

3) Our suite had a bathroom sliding door between the bedroom and bathroom which appeared broken, and would not move. Calling the front desk resulted in ... nothing. Finally about 9:00 PM I elected to have another look at it, and it seemed to be off its track. I was able to successfully "fix" it, but the lack of response from maintenance, considering the rate for a suite, is sad. I remember this hotel being much more attentive and responsive.

4) The seem to cut a lot of corners on room stocking now.

Overall, I think I will be skipping the Omni, and they will get no more of my business. It seems Hilton treats people better overall. It's quite sad, as I have a lot of good memories with Omni. I will not be back.

, Manager at Omni Chicago Hotel, responded to this review, June 29, 2012
We would like to apologize for how we informed you of our deposit policy. It is true that we will charge reservations made with a debit card $55 per night. Typically we only put a hold of three nights, or $165, on the card. This amount is fully refunded assuming there are no other room charges. We're sorry for trying to spread any blame for the policy to any other hotel brand. We're sorry that the mini bar items didn't have a price list. If there isn't a price list, prices are also listed in the in-room guide. We also apologize for the lack of response from maintenance to fix your bathroom door. We will pass your comments to our management team and focus on trying to gain back the quality you experienced in previous visits.
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2012

We had a great experience here in the summer of 2011. I was looking for a suite hotel for our family of four in the Mag Mile area of Chicago, and this fit the bill. I actually booked the wrong type of room at first - please note that not all suites sleep four. When I realized this, I contacted the staff and was taken care of for no additional charge (the room that slept four was at a higher rate).

Also, for a suite, these rooms are a bit small. The room was clean and nicely appointed and the size wasn't too much of a problem, but I wouldn't want more than four people in this suite. Also, the doors between the bedroom and living room are made of glass and aren't soundproof. We like a separate sleeping area from the kids in order to stay up later and watch tv, but it wasn't too easy to do with this set up. It definitely worked, but it just wasn't ideal.

We were overlooking the Mag Mile, which was nice, and we were in a corner room with plenty of windows and natural light. We were there over Lalapalooza (not on purpose), and there were a lot of ambulances every night on the Mag Mile over that weekend. The nights were a little loud until our last night, which was a Sunday night and Lalapalooza was over. I'm not sure that I would like a room overlooking the Mag Mile again.

From being accommodated before I arrived to the staff that greeted us every time we walked in and out of the hotel and helped us with directions, I was very impressed. I would definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family