“A wonderful weekend again” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Omni Chicago Hotel

Omni Chicago Hotel
Ranked #28 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Chicago, Illinois
“A wonderful weekend again”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

My Wife and I stayed at the Omni Chicago for our weekend before Christmas. This was an annual event prior to all the family gatherings over the Holidays (missed a couple of years due to other obligations). We picked the Omni because they were running a special during this time. Our room was only $109.00 for the night 100 yards from Michigan Avenue in Downtown Chicago. The hotel is an all suite hotel with a seperate living room and king size bedroom. The key to this hotel beside it being all suites are the people. From the Bellmen to the cleaning people everyone is so friendly, they make you feel like you are at a home away from home. We have stayed here in the past and it is the same atmosphere every time. I am like everyone else, look for the deal and take it, but I am so impressed with the people at this hotel, I do not think I would stay anywhere else the next time we want to spend a weekend downtown. We are only 35 ninutes from Chicago and enjoy a few weekends a year in the big City. Our next trip will be for the air show, if not sooner, we are planning on the Omni for our stay. I hope we catch another deal, but for the air show we will be shooting for a corner suite to get a good view of the show from our room also. We are looking forward to our next stay. Valet parking is a bit expensive, but I knew my car would be taken care of, I believe they use a private garage, not a public garage. Rooms are clean and nicely decorated.

Room Tip: Room overlooking Michigan Avenue on an upper floor. total of 25 floors.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank npc2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Pittsburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

We spent Christmas with our children and grandkids in Chicago. We chose the Omni for it's reasonable rates and location.
The rooms were good.
The staff were exceptional. Despite working on Christmas Day they were all very very friendly and efficient. ....every single one without exception.
We will go back there in summer for a weekend!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Omni_Manager, Manager at Omni Chicago Hotel, responded to this review, January 16, 2012
It's great to hear our staff took good care of your family during the holidays. We look forward to seeing you again this summer.
WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

We spent 1 night at this property to celebrate our anniversary the day after Thanksgiving. We were able to check in early at 11:30 am and head out for some Black Friday shopping. The hotel is very close to the epicenter of shopping. All of the rooms are suites (on the small side, but nice still), and we enjoyed having a dvd player to play a movie (we never seem to have time at home with 3 young kids, so this was great). The rooms could use some updated furnishings, but the bed was still heavenly. Roomy bath also.

We ate at the breakfast buffet the next morning. Also wonderful. We had a late checkout so we were able to relax for a good while after breakfast (it was rainy out, and we were done shopping). Will stay here again if the price is right.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Omni_Manager, Manager at Omni Chicago Hotel, responded to this review, December 22, 2011
Thanks for choosing to stay with us during your Christmas shopping outing. We're glad you had a good time relaxing in the room as well with your family. We hope to see you back soon.
Cincinnati
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

Took a weekday trip to Chi town to relax and enjoy some shopping for the holidays. the Omni is a great bet as its steps (literally) from Mich Ave and the great shops (located across the street from the Apple store).
I will say I'm a bit biased as I travel to Chicago as often as I can for business as its one of my favorite cities.
Omni is a nice hotel for the price. Be sure to join the free rewards club thing as it gives you free coffee and tea service delievered to your door in the morning (to your specified time...hang the ticket on the door and its there in the morning). I can't speak to the coffee ( taste wise) but the tea service was wonderful.
Walk two blocks south on Mich to Ann Taylor/ Loft and turn right. About two blocks down on left is great inexpensive place for breakfast (huge...so it lasts until dinner)...its called Eggsexperience.
Sorry, back to the hotel. I didn't spend a lot of time in the room...but its centrally located, our room as quite (even located next to the elevator), the bed was comfy and the WiFi worked great. The free water (with member club thing) was pretty bad...more of a taste perference thing...some people are fine with it. The ammenties in the bathroom were nice and I liked that the sliding doors that allowed DH to get ready while I slept (without the light on and water running in the same room).
Make a reservation at Volare for a truely great dinner (couple blocks from hotel)...skip House of Blues as food is awful and this time when we went for drinks and to listen to the band in the bar they had a cover charge. Not worth it as there are more than a few great FREE places to enjoy music and jazz in Chi Town.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

Great location, very nice, except for the very potent air freshener smells in the lobbies, halls, and rooms. We asked not to spray the room, which they didn't, but the smells from former stays still bothered me.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank cs7sisters
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

This place is absolutely fabulous. We wanted a great hotel with a location on Michigan Avenue for our two day business meeting and we found it in the Omni. The staff was superb, the meals were delicious and the staff handled our every request with ease even when there were last minute changes. Would we return...you can bet on it on both a professional and personal level. Thank you Omni!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Sacramento, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2011

For a 4.5 star hotel I was disappointed.

The location is great since it's on the main strip with a fleet of other hotels. However, the exact cross street that this hotel is on was very tricky to find and navigate. I got lost multiple times with my rental finding the hotel, it was quite frustrating as it's huge and very visible from the street.

I was upgraded to a suite when I checked in but found the suite to be a bit outdated. The cable television was the worst quality I have ever seen in a hotel or motel. It's as if the signal was coming from the basement and had been split 405 times to feed into every room. And yes, when I travel for leisure I do sometimes zone out in front of the hotel TV to relax.

I had the requisite extra charges and mistakes on my bill upon checking out for items I supposedly took from the minibar. This is a frequent complaint for this hotel if you check on other hotel review websites.

My friend who is a Chicago native said that the Omni is very impressive when it comes to their conferences rooms and catering but I didn't see any of that. During my stay the service was just okay and very uneven but not befitting the reputation of the Omni.

The first woman checking me in was professional, the bellboy seemed a little green but earnest, and everyone else that I spoke with on the phone had an attitude and didn't seem to want to be of help. Not 4.5 star service at all. The lobby of the hotel is grand but also very nondescript. The entire hotel seems to be painted with a forgettable, universal 'big hotel' circa 2000 paint brush.

If the service were more fitting of its star rating and more consistent I would rate this hotel higher. Would not stay here again unless I found a good deal on a booking site.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
We’re sorry to hear that we didn’t deliver a memorable stay. As far as directions, we are more than happy to help any guests on their way to the hotel. We also apologize for the poor television signal and the billing issues upon check out. We typically receive high marks on our personalized service on TripAdvisor, but we’re sorry we didn’t replicate that during your stay. We address negative reviews with our staff and we’ll discuss our phone etiquette. We hope that you will find a good deal in the future and that we might get a second chance to show you the level of service we’re capable of delivering.